Jump to content
govallis

Losing fish

Recommended Posts

Lost two fish yesterday, both hooked up near the bank and then lost them.

 

Recently I started using 4/0 light wire aberdeen hooks, because they are snag free.

 

I wonder if this is the nature of bed fishing, or the light wire hook?

D34_1613.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The hook pictured is a swimbait hook. An aberdeen hook is typically the J style hook with barbs on the shank used in panfisihing.

As to why you hooked but did not catch, there are countless reasons why a fish gets off.  The hook might not have penetrated, the bait might have slipped down, the hook could be dull, if you were close to the end of a cast there might have been too much slack when you set the hook, too close to the end of reeling in and you might not have enough give in your rod or line and rip the hook out, etc. etc. etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, redmexican5081 said:

The hook pictured is a swimbait hook. An aberdeen hook is typically the J style hook with barbs on the shank used in panfisihing.

As to why you hooked but did not catch, there are countless reasons why a fish gets off.  The hook might not have penetrated, the bait might have slipped down, the hook could be dull, if you were close to the end of a cast there might have been too much slack when you set the hook, too close to the end of reeling in and you might not have enough give in your rod or line and rip the hook out, etc. etc. etc.

It is indeed an aberdeen hook, for making jig heads, Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp 60° LIGHT WIRE ABERDEEN JIG HOOK. Far cheaper than the Twistlock and snag free. I almost never lose fish, but I had not done much bed fishing though.

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What bait were u fishing with the hook? Was the hook bent after losing the fish? As @redmexican5081 said there are a lot of possible reason as to why you missed. What kind of gear were you using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LxVE Bassin said:

What bait were u fishing with the hook? Was the hook bent after losing the fish? As @redmexican5081 said there are a lot of possible reason as to why you missed. What kind of gear were you using?

I was using 5" Yum Dinger and the hook was not bent after loosing the fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bed bass are not eating your lure. Bass don't have hands so they can only pick up and remove your lure from the bed using it's mouth. There isn't any garentee the hook is in the basses mouth when you hook set, missed bass are common bed fishing. Use smaller size soft plastics like tubes or grubs.

Tom 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, WRB said:

Bed bass are not eating your lure. Bass don't have hands so they can only pick up and remove your lure from the bed using it's mouth. There isn't any garentee the hook is in the basses mouth when you hook set, missed bass are common bed fishing. Use smaller size soft plastics like tubes or grubs.

Tom 

 

That right there 

 

Missing fish is part of bed fishing

 

Bed fishing aint so much about lure selection as it is about the bass's attitude.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today hooked up a 3 pound about 20 feet away from the bank and landed it. I checked, hooked very well, no bent at all. So, the light wire aberdeen hook is no problem and I'll keep using such snag-free hooks. WRB and Catt are right.

spacer.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...