Jmp_37

Chip in guide insert

Was looking through my guides after my rod tip had scraped on the cement sidewalk and noticed a small little chip out of my tip guide. Will this be an issue? Should I replace it? I’m kind of OCD about this stuff and having to get a new guide that does not match the others would trigger some of this OCD... The rod is a Fenwick Aetos6C612D37-AFF7-4537-AE90-480E3DF96D22.thumb.jpeg.307e8d9ce7032cf27428bf86c696de2c.jpeg6C612D37-AFF7-4537-AE90-480E3DF96D22.thumb.jpeg.307e8d9ce7032cf27428bf86c696de2c.jpegCE4A4320-0747-4D84-B908-4A00F6BBBDBF.thumb.png.1550098df0eca9ad4b73878c9a5cfa4d.png

Change it, don't take a chance on having it cut your line while fighting a fish.

Tips are cheap and easy to replace. I don't know much about rods but I changed one last week.

This is just what I did....cheap rod so I wasn't too concerned, maybe this isn't the best method or I missed some steps.

Carefully heated the area with a lighter while pulling with a pair of pliers until it slid right off. Took a few seconds. DON't overheat it! Scraped off extra glue and stuff.

I sanded off the tip 1/4 inch because it was too pointy/narrow for the new guide. Slid a shrink-wrap tube over the rod (came with the guide). I used Crazy Glue (cheap rod, I think there are better options), and slid the guide on.

Slid the shrink-tube over it and heated it for a second.

Works great. Fished with it several times.

Maybe you're supposed to wrap it with string too? My friend gave me the repair kit and it didn't come with that. I just followed a Youtube video ;) Like I said it was a cheap rod.