Jump to content
MBG3

What Braided Line do you use

Recommended Posts

If it were for spinning instead of baitcaster, I'd also recommend Fins Windtamer.  However, no reason it wouldn't work on baitcaster.  I was using 30# Power Pro original and had no problems with it.   I switched to Super Slick.  Didn't like it.  My perceived issue was that the line stuck to itself when wet causing overruns.                           

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, APK62 said:

How about Windtamer?

WindTamer is made for baitcasting reels according to Fins. I started using 60# Fins PRT in the late 80's for off shore big game fish as back up line to increase spool capacity on Penn 30 Int'l, 400 yds of braid with 100 yd top shot of Soft Steel Coploymer line for Marlin, my light tackle outfit. 

I have a large 2,000 yd spool of 60# Fins and started using it for flipping tulies at the Delta and grass mats at Clear lake. I treid Daiwa Samurai 20 lb braid on a spinning reel and learned the color dye ran and faded, Fins color doesn't run or fade so I was surprised. I simply don't like using braid with a leader on fresh water reels. 

The spool of Fins I bought in the late 80's is good as new and doesn't seem to wear, keep usiing I am gone. 

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

47 minutes ago, Boomstick said:

I really like Sunline's SX1 12lb for finesse fishing (the same diameter as most 15lb braid), but it's very expensive. On the flipside, it's pound for pound the most abrasion resistant braid I've ever used, even if I call it 15lb. 

   I'm gonna try that. I have a love/hate relationship with braid, and this year it's been more hate than love, mostly because of abrasion. I figure the line that meets my needs is out there somewhere, I just have to keep buying and testing, and buying and testing.  (You realize how many lures I could have bought for that money?  😭😭😭)    jj

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use 40lb Power Pro on my baitcaster. I use it for anything top water mainly, spinnerbaits, whopper ploppers, frogs, etc. If for some reason I throw a t-rig or wacky on this setup, I'll throw a leader on but that is rare. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jimmyjoe said:

 

 

   I'm gonna try that. I have a love/hate relationship with braid, and this year it's been more hate than love, mostly because of abrasion. I figure the line that meets my needs is out there somewhere, I just have to keep buying and testing, and buying and testing.  (You realize how many lures I could have bought for that money?  😭😭😭)    jj

I can't speak for the higher test line but I don't think you'll be happy with this one. With many braided line, you can frey the line pulling out a small tangle with your fingernail quite easily but I've never had that happen with the Sunline, which is the only lighter braid I can say that about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Boomstick said:

I can't speak for the higher test line but I don't think you'll be happy with this one. With many braided line, you can frey the line pulling out a small tangle with your fingernail quite easily but I've never had that happen with the Sunline, which is the only lighter braid I can say that about.

  You say you don't think I'll be happy with SX1, or you do think I'll be happy with it?    jj

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Original Power Pro

 

It is not the latest and greatest braid, it doesn't have any fancy coatings or anything else.

 

But it is: affordable, reliable, readily available, lasts forever and performs well.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, jimmyjoe said:

  You say you don't think I'll be happy with SX1, or you do think I'll be happy with it?    jj

I mean I think you'll be happy with that one. I think I was going to write I don't think you'll have any problems with it but got lost mid thought :P

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Boomstick said:

I mean I think you'll be happy with that one.

   Thanx

 

24 minutes ago, Boomstick said:

. I think I was going to write I don't think you'll have any problems with it but got lost mid thought :P

  Believe you me, I understand that. jj

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, WRB said:

WindTamer is made for baitcasting reels according to Fins. I started using 60# Fins PRT in the late 80's for off shore big game fish as back up line to increase spool capacity on Penn 30 Int'l, 400 yds of braid with 100 yd top shot of Soft Steel Coploymer line for Marlin, my light tackle outfit. 

I have a large 2,000 yd spool of 60# Fins and started using it for flipping tulies at the Delta and grass mats at Clear lake. I treid Daiwa Samurai 20 lb braid on a spinning reel and learned the color dye ran and faded, Fins color doesn't run or fade so I was surprised. I simply don't like using braid with a leader on fresh water reels. 

The spool of Fins I bought in the late 80's is good as new and doesn't seem to wear, keep usiing I am gone. 

Tom

Thank you Tom for clarifying. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, MBG3 said:

What do y’all think of the Berkley braided line? I know that from experience the make excellent mono just not sure about the braid 

They start offering the X5 at one of our local small tackle shop and I like it so far. Spooled a few baitcasters with it. It is also cheaper than other brands.

 

I'm actually trying to find a chinese bulk replacement with large spools so it gets even cheaper ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

832 is my personal favorite but I'm ok with sufix performance or spiderwire stealth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, WRB said:

Original FINS quite PVC coated and color fast.

Tom

I have Original PRT, Windtamer and 40G to try after reading Tom's recommendation awhile ago.  They are offered in several colors.  Which is nice for us sight challenge people.

 

I've used and liked Sufix 832 and Performance.  Original PowerPro is noisier thru the guides than Fins or Sufix.  Nothing wrong with it otherwise.  A brother-in-law uses 40# Original PP on all his spinning reels...the only type of reel he uses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...