Jump to content
FryDog62

Costa “Vented” sunglasses work?

Recommended Posts

I have a pair of Costa Fantail sunglasses and really like them except the lenses fog up when I’m hot/perspire.  I see on their web site that other models like Tuna Alley and White Tip have ventilated holes in the frame - anyone know if these actually work to reduce/eliminate fogging up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Tuna Alley's. They fog up just as good as the rest of my glasses. I have 4 different frames all together.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, smr913 said:

I have the Tuna Alley's. They fog up just as good as the rest of my glasses. I have 4 different frames all together.

My 4yr old Tuna Alleys have had all of the rubber tear up and fall apart. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who are they trying to kid with those tiny little ventilation holes? How could that possibly make any difference?

 

My $2 polarized aviator foster grant sunglasses from walmart never fog up unless I'm wearing a dust mask or something like that. You probably need to get away from the wrap-around style and go to a wire frame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there any anti-fog cloths or sprays out there?  Used to have that for ski goggles years ago...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HeyCoach said:

My 4yr old Tuna Alleys have had all of the rubber tear up and fall apart. 

Mine did too. Sent them in and they replaced them with their new frames. Much better than the old ones

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, smr913 said:

Mine did too. Sent them in and they replaced them with their new frames. Much better than the old ones

I’ll have to do that. What did it cost to send them in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, smr913 said:

Mine did too. Sent them in and they replaced them with their new frames. Much better than the old ones

I assume the new frame’s vents are no better at preventing fogging up than the last ones?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, HeyCoach said:

I’ll have to do that. What did it cost to send them in?

Think it was like $15.

 

15 minutes ago, FryDog62 said:

I assume the new frame’s vents are no better at preventing fogging up than the last ones?

They are better than previous version. They have held up lots better as well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently switched from fantails to tuna alleys.  The tunas are a little bit bigger and fit better. Haven't fogged up on me yet.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like my floating Terminators from Wal-Mart for $11.99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gave up on the Costa's because of fogging, vented or not. The best option I have found are the glasses with an open frame at the bottom. Seastriker makes a decent cheap polarized pair. Here in Florida with high humidity and temps, glasses will fog some no matter what. The open style lens seems to fog the least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fishstalker001 said:

I gave up on the Costa's because of fogging, vented or not. The best option I have found are the glasses with an open frame at the bottom. Seastriker makes a decent cheap polarized pair. Here in Florida with high humidity and temps, glasses will fog some no matter what. The open style lens seems to fog the least.

I don’t know if the Montauk is a new Costa model, but is described as:

 

Fishing functionality is the focus of Montauk, a large, full-wrap and highly ventilated frame.”

 

It appears to have larger slits on the side - anyone have an opinion on this model?

 

https://www.costadelmar.com/us/en/sunglasses/montauk/MTK.html?cgid=sunglasses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a pair of "vented" Permits that are a more enclosed style, and will fog up. I recently bought a pair of Reeftons, which are more of an open style, and have had no issues with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, anderb54 said:

I have a pair of "vented" Permits that are a more enclosed style, and will fog up. I recently bought a pair of Reeftons, which are more of an open style, and have had no issues with them.

Thanks, although don’t know what’s worse - fogging lenses from wrap around styles - or an open frame where peripheral glare gets in..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a pair of the Rafael and they don't seem to fog up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got a pair of slack tides the other day. Went for them over a fully enclosed pair like the tuna alley or fan tail which were on my list. IMO the Slack Tide look better as a casual pair than the tuna alley etc. Still want a pair of full wrap around for fishing but those will come with time. That being said when I did have my slack tides pressed tightly against my face I did have a little fog up. Pulled them away and I didn't have an issue all day.  I've  had similar issues with other brands on hot days that are not open on the bottom. Just think its something that happens to most enclosed wrapped glasses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tbone1993 said:

Just got a pair of slack tides the other day. Went for them over a fully enclosed pair like the tuna alley or fan tail which were on my list. IMO the Slack Tide look better as a casual pair than the tuna alley etc. Still want a pair of full wrap around for fishing but those will come with time. That being said when I did have my slack tides pressed tightly against my face I did have a little fog up. Pulled them away and I didn't have an issue all day.  I've  had similar issues with other brands on hot days that are not open on the bottom. Just think its something that happens to most enclosed wrapped glasses. 

Thx, maybe sunglasses should come with a built-in fan lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FryDog62 said:

Thx, maybe sunglasses should come with a built-in fan lol

I would be first in line if they came out with polarized contact lenses lol.  God I hope that isn't a thing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, tbone1993 said:

I would be first in line if they came out with polarized contact lenses lol.  God I hope that isn't a thing...

Ask and ye shall recieve

 

"Introducing NEW ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ Light Intelligent Technology™, the first-of-its-kind* contact lens that seamlessly adapts to changing light to provide all-day soothing vision. And, did you know these lenses are one of TIME’s Best Inventions of 2018?"

 

"ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ quickly and seamlessly adapts to balance the amount of indoor and outdoor light entering the eye, including filtering blue light** and blocking harmful UV*** rays2,3."

 

https://www.acuvue.com/acuvue-oasys-transition-contact-lenses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MN Fisher said:

Ask and ye shall recieve

 

"Introducing NEW ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ Light Intelligent Technology™, the first-of-its-kind* contact lens that seamlessly adapts to changing light to provide all-day soothing vision. And, did you know these lenses are one of TIME’s Best Inventions of 2018?"

 

"ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ quickly and seamlessly adapts to balance the amount of indoor and outdoor light entering the eye, including filtering blue light** and blocking harmful UV*** rays2,3."

 

https://www.acuvue.com/acuvue-oasys-transition-contact-lenses

Looks like I'm going to contact my eye doctor tomorrow about these. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MN Fisher said:

Ask and ye shall recieve

 

"Introducing NEW ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ Light Intelligent Technology™, the first-of-its-kind* contact lens that seamlessly adapts to changing light to provide all-day soothing vision. And, did you know these lenses are one of TIME’s Best Inventions of 2018?"

 

"ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ quickly and seamlessly adapts to balance the amount of indoor and outdoor light entering the eye, including filtering blue light** and blocking harmful UV*** rays2,3."

 

https://www.acuvue.com/acuvue-oasys-transition-contact-lenses

Not polarized. If there were such a thing as polarized contact lenses, they'd be tough to put in, because polarization requires a specific angle of rotation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, out of the 3 pairs of sunglasses I wear right now (Costa, Kaenon and Oakley) the Costa's fog the worst. Actually, they're kind of the only ones that really do it. d**n shame too, because their lens quality and clarity (580G) is by far the best of the bunch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, RB 77 said:

Unfortunately, out of the 3 pairs of sunglasses I wear right now (Costa, Kaenon and Oakley) the Costa's fog the worst. Actually, they're kind of the only ones that really do it. d**n shame too, because their lens quality and clarity (580G) is by far the best of the bunch. 

I had Kaenons and Costa580G. I thought the visuals were the same or very close. Both were better than the Wileys I have now, of course Wiley x doesnt break the bank though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny this thread came up, had the same issues with Costa.   They have been my go to glasses for fishing for many years.   Recently purchased a pair of Maui Jims with built in 2.5 Readers.   So far they are top dog.   The humidity is about to crank up so we will see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...