Sea.Em.1998

What are Some Tips for Buying Used Gear and Tackle

The Wisconsin weather is beginning to warm up, and garage sales are beginning to pop up.  I'm interested in buying a spinning reel that has a gear ratio of 5:5:1 or higher. What are some things I should know about before buying a second-hand reel? What are some things I should look over before making a purchase?

Go to TW and read all the spinning reels discription data for mfr's your interested in at various price points to educate yourself.

Knowing what reels cost new and what features the higher end models offer should help you know what is a good garage sale item and price.

Tom

PS, professional garage sale folks show up before the sellers are set and ready. 

Always offer a lower price than given. That’s how you can tell real garage sale goers from the amateurs. Also, perhaps more often than not, lots of fishing gear is being sold by people who don’t know the value of what they’re selling unless they are anglers themselves, lol. 

Thoroughly check the gear. That just about it. 

In my experience people selling fishing gear tend to ask way, way too much for it and don't have a good grasp on depreciation.  Like WRB and islandbass said, find out what it should cost new, and subtract 40% or more unless you run across gear that has obviously barely been used and looks nearly brand new.

If you're looking for a reel, you should ideally be able to take some practice casts with it.  Check the 'bale's operation, check the drag, listen for grinding or clicking or anything that doesn't sound right while turning the handle.  Other than that, it's pretty straight forward.

You might want to check with your local tackle shops. We have one that sells used equipment and they try to make sure everything is okay with it before the put it out for sale.

You can buy some great spinning reels for relatively low costs. Are you talking about buying a used Stella or what? Unless I were shopping for high end, I would buy new.

Like WRB said, do your homework and be prepared.  I would consider buying new or buying used on this site.  Yard sales are more often than not selling someone else’s junk.  

Nothing to add to whats been said other than:

Theres something about fishing gear at yard sales. If someone mentions it in advertisement or sign it attracts every old guy and his brother. They get there early, REAL early. You need to be there as soon as it opens if one mentions there will be fishing equipment.

I only buy or sell used gear from reputable people. For instance if I posted a rod/reel for sale on this site and you asked me to purchase it I would probably shy away because you only have four posts. My guys looking to rip people off create multiple accounts or fake account ( lots of that on FB marketplace). I also tend to look for guys that have some sort of tournament experience or reputation to uphold. Guys like that sometimes sell their older gear when they're changing sponsors or want the latest and greatest. Chances are if he's got a professional page the last thing he wants to do is get wrapped up in a controversy. This doesn't mean its always a safe bet. NEVER use paypal friends and family, its almost a given that your money will get gone and you won't get what you want. Seldom have I found quality gear at a garage sales. I always tell new anglers that are looking to save money to just buy last years model. 9 times out of 10 its just slight cosmetic changes with a few minor performance upgrades. Do your research first. 

• Like 1