I put a terrova 55lb thrust 12v trolling motor on my 15' aluminum boat (westcoaster semi-v).  I previously had a Powerdrive V1 40lb and a size  27 everstart deep cycle battery for both the trolling motor and starting the engine.  I mostly used that Powerdrive on the 3 or 4 setting (out of 10 I believe) and occasionally full power if I wanted to move a across a cove quickly and the battery never died on me.  Also I usually only fish for 5 or 6 hours before the kids are ready to go home but would like the ability to fish longer if I get the chance.  Should I be ok with one size 31 agm battery with 200 rc or should I use two batteries?  (If I just get one I'll keep the current battery for starting the gas motor). 

I believe the terrova is 50amp at Maxx power.  I couldn't find the amps on the Powerdrive to compare.  

Thanks 

Can you pull start your gas motor?  I would be adventurous enough to give it a try on what you have now if you had the ability to pull start, even if it was only once.  The new terrova can pull more out of a battery because it is more powerful but, assuming the old power drive wasn't a digital motor, the terrova with the digital maximizer should be better on usage and you will be operating at a lower setting for the same results due to the increase in thrust power.  

The old Powerdrive was a 2001 model so probably not digital.  I can pull start my motor so I guess there isn't anything to really worry about on that end.  Im trying to figure out how many amps the 40lb Powerdrive uses so I can kind of figure it out.  I'm thinking I'm just going to buy a bigger battery and hope I can get away with just using one for most of a day.

Drawing batteries below 50% often, without immediate recharge will shorten the life of the batteries.  That is why I went 36v.  I always have a NECO battery pack for emergencies with the big motor

Makes sense to me.  I was just trying to save weight by not going to more than two batteries in my boat (one cranking and one deep cycle for the trolling motor).   Looking at a vmax charge tank xtr31- 135 which has about 3x the RC my current battery has but we'll see.

52 minutes ago, Chris Griffith said:

Makes sense to me.  I was just trying to save weight by not going to more than two batteries in my boat (one cranking and one deep cycle for the trolling motor).   Looking at a vmax charge tank xtr31- 135 which has about 3x the RC my current battery has but we'll see.

I run 3 vmax and love them, with an Odyssey for cranking.  Heavy yes but eases my nerves 

Do you know the difference between the xtr and Mr model deep cycle vmax batteries?  I was ready to order but unsure of the difference and if one was better for trolling motors. 

I'd like to run 2 deep cycles in parallel and just start the gas motor with them as well but I'm just going to run one deep cycle and one cranking.  I'm sure another 60-70lb battery wouldn't hurt too much but it is only a 15' westcoaster and 3 batteries would be close to 200lbs.  We'd probably be just under the weight capacity with 3 batteries and all our equipment (on days my dad goes with me and my boys, otherwise we'd be fine).  

I own MR’s for trolling

During the winter I run a 14' glass boat mostly on rivers.  I have a Merc 25 and a 30lb trolling motor and I can run them both on a group 27 deep cycle for 3 days.