RJMJR

Spawning & High Water Levels

I fish the upper Ottawa river in Canada, and every few years the spring water levels (late March thru May) are up as much as 4-7 feet above normal.  For several weeks I may not hear a single fish strike the surface, nor can I seem to elicit a strike.  I am curious how these excessively high river levels affect spawning and feeding patterns, and what others might recommend trying.  

• Like 1

Welcome to Bass Resource!

Since you say it is flooding I would think the water is very muddy. The fish go near the shallows when it is flooding in search of any creators that may normally not be in the water if it's been cold which I guess it has, they might not even be spawning yet and are still in the pre-spawn like all the bass here in NH. Fish near the shallows with a spinnerbait in white, shallow diving cranks, bladed swim jigs, or a kei-tech on a jig head which has been working a lot for me here. Fish something that makes lots of vibration in the water, and is visible to the fish with the murky water, chartreuse or white being my personal favorites. Good luck on the water!

Forgot to add, use a white chatterbait!

Edited by MartinTheFisherman
Chaterbait

Thanks for the reply.  

Water is murky, but I wouldn’t say muddy.  My first thought was also that the fish would be up in the shallow areas normally not accessible to them, but heard and saw nothing, and got zero strikes (wt spinner, chartreuse sq bill).  

Normally there are regular fish feeding on the surface both mornings and evenings, but in my three weeks there I heard and saw just one.  

These factors then had me thinking (tho little fishing experience to base it on) the fish were possibly still holding in deep water due to the flooding, and possibly had not spawned yet.  

Just before I left, I heard the water temperature was approaching 44-45 degrees, which the same person said was the critical temperature for pickerel’s spawning.  Not sure what the temperature for the ‘smallies’ are up there. 

Again thanks..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RJMJR said:

These factors then had me thinking (tho little fishing experience to base it on) the fish were possibly still holding in deep water due to the flooding, and possibly had not spawned yet.  

Just before I left, I heard the water temperature was approaching 44-45 degrees, which the same person said was the critical temperature for pickerel’s spawning.

44-45 degrees is some cold water... They must be in the deep like you mentioned with that cold water. 

Had to look the Ottawa River and it's over 1,200 miles long!

Musky, Pike, Walleye, Smallmouth and Largemouth bass, Yellow Perch and Catfish.

What are specie of fish are you trying to catch?

Tom

Yes a very long and winding river, with lots of rapids and dams separating different sections.  I mainly go for bass, walleye, pike, and pickerel.  Musky are not normally found in the section of the upper Ottawa that I fish.  

The bass have evolved in that river system and apparently well established. Current areas are avoided during the bass spawn, they need calm stable warm water levels for about 7 to 10 days to spawn successfully without water levels rising or falling.

Bass tend to locate near funnel areas to feed, any areas that are narrower where food sources are compressed.

Tom

Have you fished the creeks that enter the river? Last year I fished a flooded northern river and caught lots of smallmouth bass fishing a creek that entered the river. The water was more clear with less current than the main river so it is worth a try fishing a creek when you are fishing a flooded river.

• Like 1

I did not have the chance to fish the river’s tributaries in May, but will the first of July when I’m back for the summer.