Heavy to extra heavy action with a fast tip. I use 50-65 lb. braid and a 4/0 offset ewg hook. 

7 minutes ago, Dcbassfishing76 said:

Heavy to extra heavy action with a fast tip. I use 50-65 lb. braid and a 4/0 offset ewg hook. 

Is 45lb braid too low? I have a couple rolls of that laying around.

Just now, Jonny15678 said:

Is 45lb braid too low? I have a couple rolls of that laying around.

No 45lb is More than adequate. Occasionally I will use 20-25 lb. mono but it tends to fray or break in heavy cover. 

Flipping or pitching, it makes a difference!

Flipping you are holding the line and flipping the lure using only the rod, hooking the bass and lifting it out of the cover using the rod. Too small dia braid will cut your hands and EWG hooks tend to bend open.

Pitching you are using a underhand flip cast with line coming off the reel, you hook the bass with the rod and reel it in using the reel. You can get away with smaller dia line and shorter less powerful rods.

Flipping 60 to 80 lb braid direct to the straight shank heavy wire hook, 8'+ XH flipping rod.

Pitching you can use whatever you prefer, it's a casting technique.

Tom

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, WRB said:

Flipping you are holding the line and flipping the lure using only the rod, hooking the bass and lifting it out of the cover using the rod. Too small dia braid will cut your hands and EWG hooks tend to bend open.

Pitching you are using a underhand flip cast with line coming off the reel, you hook the bass with the rod and reel it in using the reel. You can get away with smaller dia line and shorter less powerful rods.

Flipping 60 to 80 lb braid direct to the straight shank heavy wire hook, 8'+ XH flipping rod.

Tom

How do you determine if you should use a super heavy cover or heavy cover flipping hook? Or does it really even matter?

29 minutes ago, Jonny15678 said:

How do you determine if you should use a super heavy cover or heavy cover flipping hook? Or does it really even matter?

Anything 17lb fluoro or mono and above I use straight shank flipping hooks. 

10 hours ago, WRB said:

Tom

This should be a sticky and required reading!

Mike

• Like 4

20 hours ago, WRB said:

Tom

this...........

9 hours ago, Mike L said:

This should be a sticky and required reading!

Mike

Agreed.

Depends on the water I’m on with the kind of cover it has. If it’s heavy thick matted cover I throw a heavier weight, with a heavy wire hook. If it’s more open then I throw egw 3/0 or 3/0 off set worm hook. It’s generally 50lbs line, haven’t had the need for heavier yet. The bodies of water I fish mainly don’t get too matted up. Rod is a heavy extra fast.

• Like 1