Glaucus

I'm glad kids are out fishing, but

The stranger thing is a catch-22.  The parents who would be concerned about a stranger helping their kid are also the same ones who probably wouldnt let him go fishing alone at that age.

My rule with kids is I will teach them what they are willing to hear & I'll give them lures, but always from a distance.  No way am I going to be the stranger luring kids into my boat.  Bank fishing is different, but the same concept applies.

@WRB Tom, did you join the Indian Guides as a instructor when that whole thing with the priesthood fell apart?  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, OCdockskipper said:

The stranger thing is a catch-22.  The parents who would be concerned about a stranger helping their kid are also the same ones who probably wouldnt let him go fishing alone at that age.

My rule with kids is I will teach them what they are willing to hear & I'll give them lures, but always from a distance.  No way am I going to be the stranger luring kids into my boat.  Bank fishing is different, but the same concept applies.

@WRB Tom, did you join the Indian Guides as a instructor when that whole thing with the priesthood fell apart?  😁

Man I sure hope everyone is smart enough not to put a random kid in a boat with you without parental consent. A million different ways that can go all wrong. 

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:37 PM, WRB said:

Ask the youngster to bring a parent along, you can instruct both!

Be prepared parents may not show up and it's not the kids fault.

My experiences with Indian Guides was shocking how little interaction some parents are willing to give their own kids and willing to let strangers teach the kids. 

You are good man, my hat is off to you!

Tom

Couldn't agree more. I witnessed it for the 8 years I coached my son's baseball team. Not many parents wanted to help. In fact, it seemed like they just wanted to drop their kids off so we can watch them for a couple of hours.

On June 12, 2019 at 10:25 AM, Glaucus said:

Man I sure hope everyone is smart enough not to put a random kid in a boat with you without parental consent. A million different ways that can go all wrong. 

Kidner Garden to 3rd grade or 6 to 8 year olds are like herding cats. Anyone putting more then 2 kids in a bass boat is looking for trouble. All my Indian Guide fishing instruction was from shore using spinning* with a split shot rig anywhere from 2 kids to 12 kids if a few dads would help.

Tom

* most dads had trout spinning outfits suitable for split shot rigs. I bought smoke 3" reapers w/salt& pepper (silver & black flakes) in 100 count with size 1 octopus hooks work good. 

On 6/9/2019 at 4:25 PM, Glaucus said:

The kid showed back up this afternoon while I was fishing. He said he was hoping I would be there. Couldn't have missed me being that I spend hours fishing basically every trip. 

He had that same bobber and plastic worm rig going on. Bobber, small weight, curled up plastic worm as if it was a real one. No idea how a plastic worm ball ever caught that bass last night. I cut that stuff off and set him up with a 1/0 EWG hook and a 4 inch Senko. With guidance he was able to catch 4 bass and gut hooked only 1. I gave him the needle nose pliers and told him to get to work. Had to help a little bit but he more or less was the one who got it out.

He got the hang of it so I sent him off with a pack of 1/0 EWG hooks and a handful of 4 inch Senkos and Finesse Trick Worms.

Hammered them myself on a black and blue jig with a blue rage craw.

This is awesome!

On 6/9/2019 at 7:25 PM, Glaucus said:

The kid showed back up this afternoon while I was fishing. He said he was hoping I would be there. Couldn't have missed me being that I spend hours fishing basically every trip. 

He had that same bobber and plastic worm rig going on. Bobber, small weight, curled up plastic worm as if it was a real one. No idea how a plastic worm ball ever caught that bass last night. I cut that stuff off and set him up with a 1/0 EWG hook and a 4 inch Senko. With guidance he was able to catch 4 bass and gut hooked only 1. I gave him the needle nose pliers and told him to get to work. Had to help a little bit but he more or less was the one who got it out.

He got the hang of it so I sent him off with a pack of 1/0 EWG hooks and a handful of 4 inch Senkos and Finesse Trick Worms.

Hammered them myself on a black and blue jig with a blue rage craw.

You're the real MVP dude. 

• Like 1