Sign in to follow this  
anh

Counting the fishing line—technique

I feel like an idiot, because it is so basic. But I am living at a fishing lodge for the summer, and the guides have been more than helpful and courteous in my learning experience. But, after telling me 2 times, I now feel I can’t ask again.... We are out on the boat, fishing for King Salmon or Sockeye. When the guide says to let my reel out 7 passes, I get it. No prob. The issue I have is stopping it. He continuously say’s to pull your thumb off, and then stop the line. I’m wondering where my thumb is in the first place, that I am “pulling it from” and then stop it by pushing down or pulling up on the reel. I honestly don’t know, and I feel dumb. But I am capable, I play many sports and have a bachelors degree, so I’m just missing the detail here, and I am too affaid to ask again...

I am the massage therapist at the lodge, so don’t worry, I am not guiding. 

I'd love to help but I'm not exactly sure what you're describing or asking about.  Are you asking about how to control the spool with your thumb during casting?

Some advice you didn't ask for but here it be:

Ask the guide again, they are there to help.

Yes, that is the problem, I don’t know what I am asking. Controlling the spool, but then stopping the spool, not exactly sure the actions required to stop the spool. 

Thank You...

How I control the spool is to lightly have my thumb on top of the line as it plays out on the cast. As the lure/bait hits the water, press a little harder so that the spool doesn't keep spinning - which results in a backlash. Only time I get backlashes is when I forget to thumb the spool properly.

Are fishing for salmon on downriggers, or just casting?

I have trolled the internet for an hour...my question is so basic that no one is answering. HA!

Okay, sitting on a boat, trolling for King Salmon. Let the line out, say 7 passes. To stop the line from going out more that 7 passes, I do what?

Lift my thumb off the reel, and....

Turn the handle slightly to engage the reel.

• Like 3

It is either 7 rotations of the spool and than you turn the handle and it stops spinning.

OR

7 PASSES from spool to the tip of the rod and than you turn the handle to stop it.

If you are trolling, I suspect the latter.

If you are paying these guys, than keep asking. If you are not paying, swallow your pride and ask them to show you EXACTLY what 7 passes is.

4 hours ago, anh said:

I have trolled the internet for an hour...my question is so basic that no one is answering. HA!

Okay, sitting on a boat, trolling for King Salmon. Let the line out, say 7 passes. To stop the line from going out more that 7 passes, I do what?

Lift my thumb off the reel, and....

It would be super easy to just ask your guide to show you exactly what he wanted you to do, he got paid after all. Now after everything done and you spent hours searching for answer? I’m not sure if you spent your money worth.

@MN Fisheralready answered your question, BTW.