Will Wetline

Crashed a Smallmouth Convention, 6/12/19

Took a long cruise on a cool, bright morning to start at The Boulder Field. No interest was shown in a Whopper Plopper 90 or, sub-surface, a lightly weighted Z-Man Scented Jerk ShadZ. When neither a TRD nor a Finesse ShadZ was picked up deep, I hauled the anchor and headed toward Heavyweight Hump.

68.9º surface temp. here. It was still fairly early so I fan cast the Jerk ShadZ over the top of this rock pile and got the skunk off with a 3 lber. Retrieving along a deep edge I watched a good fish follow - twice. Would it prefer a Finesse TRD perhaps? Twitching and hopping?

spacer.png

It's mid morning now. There's a breeze from the south putting a nice ripple on the surface. It was conceivable a pod of smallmouth had convened on the top of the hump for an early lunch. The Jerk ShadZ had barely touched down when a smallie was on it.

spacer.png

This fish got its photo op, immortalizing it on BassResource.com, then was released. Next cast . . . bam! Just like the first fish.

spacer.png

Not so quick on the third cast: this fish swirled at the bogus preyfish when it landed but didn't take until the third snap of the rod.

spacer.png

Stayed in this area for another hour but picked up only one more smallie off the deep edge on a TRD.

In the afternoon, there were no fish aggressive enough on The Bass Magnet to whack the soft jerk bait, but I did fool one by hopping and bopping a TRD on a 1/16 oz. mushroom head.

spacer.png

Had to go deep on The Bald Head Ridge too. The smallmouth in the pic below swam off with a Z-Man Hula StickZ. I don't like to lose tungsten bullet weights but T-rigging collects less slime (algae) then a mushroom head. I'm using 6 lb. fluoro and a medium light rod and have learned there's no need to worry about a firm, sweeping hookset of the Gamakatsu standard wire 1/0 EWG.

spacer.png

One more fish, one more photo:

spacer.png

It was a beautiful day. Thank you, Quabbin.

Will Wetline

• Like 8

Superior Results Sir ~

Congrats

A-Jay