Kyle S

Affordable bait casting rod and reel recommendations?

Thanks again to everyone for all of your suggestions!! I ended up going a wee bit over my budget. For the rod I went with a Lew's speed stick TP1 Black 6'10" MH, and for the reel I decided on a Lew's Tournament MB. Rod was 129.00 and reel was 139.00. Also.....I just purchased two Abu Garcia Black Max's from Academy Sports during yesterdays online flash sale of 25% all reels! I've heard quite a bit about these reels so I figured i'd give them a shot and see what all the hype was about. I got them for 29.99 a piece. Later this evening I plan on picking up two rods to pair with the new reels...so much for that 200.00 budget😅😂

2 Abu Silver Max reels and 2 Fenwick Eagle rods should be about $200.

Daiwa AIRD-X + Abu Garcia Pro Max = $49 + $73 = a darn good setup.

bRHuqsMh.jpg

I now have 3 of these rods, a 6'6" medium fast, and 2 7' MH fast (1 spinning, 1 bait caster), and these are really great rods for the money. I mean, Matt Allen from Tactical Bassin' even recommended them, and they never recommend rods under $100. 

I find the rods to be sensitive, light, built well, nice guides, and I don't feel I'm missing much when compared to my Lews Speed Stick TP-1, which cost quite a bit more. At the same time, I also don't have any issues with my 15 year old 6' medium 2 piece Ugly Stick. People claim those are not sensitive or they're numb feeling, but I can feel fish on a senko and crank bait thumps just fine, so idk lol.

• Like 1