Will Wetline

Topwater Smallies Today! 6/19/19

The weather forecast predicted clouds all day with light winds in the afternoon. Thoughts of smallmouth coming up for poppers, Ploppers, Spooks and Sammies flooded my mind.

Poppers amuse me and annoy smallmouth. As with other baits in the topwater category, my mantra during retrieve is, "Wait for the weight" - take an extra second for the fish to take the bait and turn before setting the hook. 

spacer.png

After fancasting from an anchored position, I sent Ned to the bottom thinking there may be more fish around but they had wised up to the popper.

spacer.png

Then again, there's Z-Man's Scented Jerk ShadZ. I've been throwing that a lot this season too. My chiropractor wouldn't approve of the jolt I receive when a smallie stops it as I begin a snap. Better if they took it dropping, as they sometimes do.

spacer.png

Have a look at Duo Realis' Popper 64. I've been a fan of Duo's designs ever since I started consistently catching smallies on their Spin Bait 80. This popper has a couple of unusual features. The first is what I considered a too-long tail. Guess not because I went three for three on the decent smallies that hit. (This one weighed 3.96 lbs.) The other uncommon feature is the split ring connection to the bait. This provides better freedom of movement for the "pop" and while I can't say it made a critical difference, I'm surely not going to remove it!

spacer.png

Introducing Bassmaster Scott, who's been studying smallmouth behavior and seriously searching for their whereabouts in Quabbin for the past eight years. Put simply: He's good. And focussed. This trip however, it took him a while to get his mojo working. Neither he nor I have an explanation for his Sammy's lack of success at smallmouth seduction. But when he changed up to Ned rigging presentations, he got busy. 

spacer.png

I went back to Ned too. This fish was located down a breaking edge of a flat. After her release, I noticed she had left the remains of a real meal in the boat.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Scott with a 3.52 lb. beauty. Note the front half of the rod holder Scott made for Quabbin's rental boats.

spacer.png

Keeping 'em coming.

spacer.png

Yup.

spacer.png

Yeah.

spacer.png

Good news is that it didn't rain a drop while we were out, nevermind thunder and lightning. The Q is my favorite place not to be caught in a thunderstorm.

Water temps ranged from 67º - 70º, 5º lower than last week's sunny day trip. If you're wondering about the stage of the spawn, of the 13 bass we caught, 2 had spawned, 2 had not, and the rest we weren't sure about.

Will Wetline

• Like 8

Fantastic !

Heck of a one two punch right there

Congrats

:smiley:

A-Jay

VERY Impressive, Congrats! 

Great pics! Did the spawn end? It was my first time out at Quabbin this year and noticed many nests. However, we hit two small mouths on topwater lures and nothing on the bottom. 

16 hours ago, Solenya said:

Did the spawn end? 

It's close to over. 

Hey that’s awesome!! Good for you guys.