rustybass

20hp up while trailering okay?

My new Yamaha 20hp tiller outboards' bottom fin sits 1-foot off the ground in the full down position - is this enough clearance for towing?

And do most of you guys tie off the tiller handle to stop side to side movement when towing?

Get a motor toter. It takes stress off the transom and the steering pin on the motor. If you tow with it down and hit one good bump odds are you will hit the skeg into the ground and that's hoorible on the boat and motor. You can buy a complete transom saver kit at Walmart for like $20

That looks like plenty of room, though when I ran a small 25 hp motor, I tilted it up all the way.  You should have some kind of locking pin or bracket for that.  There's no need for a motor toter for something that small.

6 hours ago, J Francho said:

That looks like plenty of room, though when I ran a small 25 hp motor, I tilted it up all the way.  You should have some kind of locking pin or bracket for that.  There's no need for a motor toter for something that small.

Thanks, yeah main concern would be steep angles probably, but it should work - a foot seems like decent clearance.

On my Merc, there was a recess in the back of the cowl.  You yanked on that, and flipped a lever over that locked the motor in the up position.

Okay, so Yamaha owners manual says you should transport the outboard in the normal running position - if you have sufficient clearance, interesting. 

The manual I just found said NOT to trailer with it up.  Interesting.  I think you're fine with almost a foot of clearance.  My 22' bass boat had little more with the engine up.

On 7/3/2019 at 1:44 PM, J Francho said:

The manual I just found said NOT to trailer with it up.  Interesting.  I think you're fine with almost a foot of clearance.  My 22' bass boat had little more with the engine up.

My buddy was trailering his small john boat with his 25hp  in full titled position.  He hit a bump and the motor popped up, disengaged the pin that holds it in the tilted position, the motor crashed down into the normal running position and bent his transom.  

I did the same thing for years and years back when I had a manual tilt tiller engines and I never had this happen, but I guess it only has to happen once to be a costly mistake.

• Like 1

Thats plenty of clearance as long as you remember it sits lower than the rest of the boat and dont drag it on anything.  I'd personally want it up more cause I know I'd forget and tear something up. I'd get a motor toter and be done with it.  Wal mart has cheap ones for like 20 bucks that would be just fine for that 

2 hours ago, J Francho said:

Thanks, appreciate the opinion - just always owned larger power trimmed motors in the past that had to be up, so not really sure on how low you can really get away with, good to hear. 

Get a motor toter. 

Small outboard all you need is to tilt it up. I used a 2x2 12" piece of wood between the lower unit and engine bracket for decades for my aluminum boat with a 15 hp and never  had any issues. No need for a transum saver with the boat and engine shown.

Tom

The motor toter/ transom saver is not just for keeping the motor tilted back at a slight angle it's also for taking stress off the transom and transferring some of it to the trailer.