Drop Shotting Questions

XF15-Loader

I'm loading up the kayak and hitting some new water on Tuesday. The area I'm heading to is a harbor off of lake Erie.  Im limited to 3 poles and was considering giving drop shotting a try but don't know if it will be worth it to sacrifice a rod.  

Anyway, I have 3 questions.  First, I've seen the drop shot hooks that are built on a swivel.  Are they worth it or should I just stick with a regular drop shot hook?

Secondly, weight...Ive read loads about what size and type of weight to use and I still don't know what to go with.  The water I'm fishing is mostly 8-10 feet with pockets dropping to 20 or more.  

Finally, I won't be hitting the water till late...10a.m or so and plan on fishing til sundown.  I read the drop shot post by @A-Jay and he's clear that smallies have distinct feeding times.  Yet, another reason to consider whether or not to take a DS combo.  

I was going to add a chart image of the water I'll be fishing but can't get it small enough so here's a link: 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UhmmWsxMb2V6JSSFA

Hopefully someone can help me out here...lol.

Thanks,

-J

• Like 1

• Super User

Yes - VMC spin shot hooks are good.  Regardless of hook choice, rig your baits straight so they do not spin - on the fall or the retrieve.  Line twist is the arch enemy of the drop shot. 

I prefer to use the lightest weight that I can but must still maintain bottom contact.

8-10 ft for me might be 1/8 to say 1/4.

SMB feeding times can differ wildly from place to place; and they change.  The standard early & later in the day is almost always a good bet, especially during the dog days of summer. 

Also, while not familiar with the area you're fishing, if the water is clear and you can see the bottom - the fish can see you - I'd recommend fishing deeper.  Deep water structure (where you can't see the bottom) is where I'd start, especially if I was getting a late start. 

Finally, I'll be on the water myself tomorrow.  Be looking for smb and I expect to fishing 25 - 40 ft with a drop shot ALL DAY.  

Just say'in.

Screenshot_20190414-171045.thumb.png.f836424e10409902563e0a2b9e2d097d.pngScreenshot_20190414-171114.thumb.png.768c37eb3e397efaeeaeeb29c1f626f7.png

Good Luck

:smiley:

A-Jay

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Super User
5 minutes ago, A-Jay said:

I prefer to use the lightest weight that I can but must still maintain bottom contact.

Why? What is wrong with using a 1/4 ounce weight? Its on the bottom . I have limited exp with a DS so just trying to figure out what works .

Thanks for the input @A-Jay. The spot I'm fishing is in the Sandusky Bay.  It's called East Harbor.  There's a channel that runs between the harbor and Lake Erie so I'm hoping some smallies have worked there way into that area.

I've never fished it but my buddy says the water is Crystal clear.  I'm looking forward to actually using my graph and fishing some contours.  I think it'll be a blast. 

Thanks, again.  Good luck tomorrow and may you have nothing but tight lines!! ?

• Thanks 1

• Super User
24 minutes ago, scaleface said:

Why? What is wrong with using a 1/4 ounce weight? Its on the bottom . I have limited exp with a DS so just trying to figure out what works .

That's a fair question. 

Like much of what goes on in all aspects of fishing - we may all do it a little different.

I have 2 primary reasons for preferring to use the lightest weight I can and they both revolve around 'detection'.

First, the lighter the weight, the better my own bite detection is, that's an experience deal with me specifically.

Second, when a fish picks up my bait, if I do not detect it right away, (which happens when they pick it up and swim up from the bottom or at me) and this is a assumption on my part, the lighter the weight the fish is dragging around, the more a wary bass may be inclined to hold on to the bait, waiting for me to wake up at the wheel and set the hook.

Finally, when fishing deep and in wind & waves, I'll go to whatever I need to to stay on the bottom - 1/2 to even 3/4 many times 

So there's that.

A-Jay

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I fish east harbor a couple times a year. Don't expect more than the random smallie right now, even in the channel going to the main lake. But cranks jigs t rigs and topwater will produce for all the largemouth and a maybe a few smallies.

Be prepared for flood waters right now, and even with being in the harbor I have been up there when the wind still beats you up. If it's as high as it was a few weeks ago when I went up there, just fish up in the trees you will catch them.           

Also they should be done dredging now which will give you some very defined weed lines to fish on the edges of the main channel going through the entire harbor this will be your best bet for better than average sized fish. 

Black finesse jig with beaver or craw trailer in black or green pumpkin and a crawfish colored crankbait should be all you need to wear your arms out

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, XF15-Loader said:

I'm loading up the kayak and hitting some new water on Tuesday. The area I'm heading to is a harbor off of lake Erie.  Im limited to 3 poles and was considering giving drop shotting a try but don't know if it will be worth it to sacrifice a rod.  

Anyway, I have 3 questions.  First, I've seen the drop shot hooks that are built on a swivel.  Are they worth it or should I just stick with a regular drop shot hook?

Secondly, weight...Ive read loads about what size and type of weight to use and I still don't know what to go with.  The water I'm fishing is mostly 8-10 feet with pockets dropping to 20 or more.  

Finally, I won't be hitting the water till late...10a.m or so and plan on fishing til sundown.  I read the drop shot post by @A-Jay and he's clear that smallies have distinct feeding times.  Yet, another reason to consider whether or not to take a DS combo.  

I was going to add a chart image of the water I'll be fishing but can't get it small enough so here's a link: 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UhmmWsxMb2V6JSSFA

Hopefully someone can help me out here...lol.

Thanks,

-J

I used to fish Lk St Clair alot and Lk Erie occasionally. Tubes and drop shots are worth having tied on. For baits for drop shots Erie Darters, Shad shape worms, roboworms, etc. You can't go wrong with top water in the morning. Good luck and report back.

• Thanks 1

• Super User

Spinning tackle? 5 to 8 lb test? 4" to 6" finesse worms? If yes to all the above size 1 drop shot hook, nose hooked, use 1/4 oz weight.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Super User
On 7/7/2019 at 12:08 PM, A-Jay said:

Yes - VMC spin shot hooks are good.  Regardless of hook choice, rig your baits straight so they do not spin - on the fall or the retrieve.  Line twist is the arch enemy of the drop shot. 

SMB feeding times can differ wildly from place to place; and they change.  The standard early & later in the day is almost always a good bet, especially during the dog days of summer. 

Also, while not familiar with the area you're fishing, if the water is clear and you can see the bottom - the fish can see you - I'd recommend fishing deeper.  Deep water structure (where you can't see the bottom) is where I'd start, especially if I was getting a late start. 

Finally, I'll be on the water myself tomorrow.  Be looking for smb and I expect to fishing 25 - 40 ft with a drop shot ALL DAY.  

Just say'in.

Screenshot_20190414-171045.thumb.png.f836424e10409902563e0a2b9e2d097d.pngScreenshot_20190414-171114.thumb.png.768c37eb3e397efaeeaeeb29c1f626f7.png

Good Luck

A-Jay

@A-Jay I just ordered some of those shad baits.  They look great.  Thanks.

• Like 1