JiggyJonJon

WTB Cheap/Beater Casting Rods (Crankin, Flipping/Frogging, Senko)

Hi y’all, just getting into the sport and trying to build my arsenal as well help learn different techniques so please feel free to pm/comment anything that you need to let go. 

On a budget need a cheap crank or Flippin rod option shipped to Oregon. Preferbably 6”8 Medium-Mod or 7’6 Med/Hvy-Mod Action. I want to try duckett n Favorite so +1 for those but anything works honestly. 

Thank you!

FWIW, shipping cheap rods is typically more hassle than it's worth to the seller in most cases because shipping prices are so steep. You might check out Fisherman's Factory Outlet. You can get some pretty decent rods for cheap there but it's all Pure Fishing so you won't find any Favorites or Ducketts. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bluebasser86 said:

FWIW, shipping cheap rods is typically more hassle than it's worth to the seller in most cases because shipping prices are so steep. You might check out Fisherman's Factory Outlet. You can get some pretty decent rods for cheap there but it's all Pure Fishing so you won't find any Favorites or Ducketts. 

This. I read the OP last night and I have a Duckett that would fit the bill, but after shipping costs it wouldn't be a "cheap" rod. Your best bet is to find a good sale online.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

I’ll check it out, it’s hard where I’m at not a lot of local selection/deals since saltwater and trout/salmon is very popular. Went to sportmans outfitters they looked at me funny when I talked about bass fishing, didn’t even seem interested in helping me... Found some Jawbone rods for $7.50 at dicks (not lying lol), but I feel like the price was to little concerning quality wise... have you ever heard of them?

If its medium heavy it will work. If your sportman outfitters is the same SO I just bought my Dobyns from they have what you need. You probably mentioned you were interested in Favorite and they lost all respect for you. Trout rods will work fine for lighter presentations. Salmon rods would make good pitchin sticks. All species of fish are interchangable aside from baits to some degree. Favorite sucks by the way. You must be a young guy that watches a lot of youtube. You can find their reels from the same chinese manufacturer for less than half price and their rods are way overpriced as well.

• Haha 1

Dont pay attention to the favorite hate. The reels probably are low quality but the rods are decent.  I'm betting most of the guys hating on them have never owned one. Yes theres a lot of YouTube hype blah blah. Buy what you're interested in and seems good to you and enjoy it. Search around on here and you'll see theres no need to ask for advice on anything googan or favorite related 

11 hours ago, Mikeltee said:

If its medium heavy it will work. If your sportman outfitters is the same SO I just bought my Dobyns from they have what you need. You probably mentioned you were interested in Favorite and they lost all respect for you. Trout rods will work fine for lighter presentations. Salmon rods would make good pitchin sticks. All species of fish are interchangable aside from baits to some degree. Favorite sucks by the way. You must be a young guy that watches a lot of youtube. You can find their reels from the same chinese manufacturer for less than half price and their rods are way overpriced as well.

Ok, and no I didn’t I already did my research about favorite and know they don’t carry them in my area. They also don’t know anything about bass fishing, why they werent helpful.Also don’t care for the YouTube stuff, just wanted to try them out because of Roland Martin. Also i know the reels suck, last time I checked I was never asking for one. Thanks for the opionated somewhat decent but crappy advice? 

1 hour ago, Shimano_1 said:

Dont pay attention to the favorite hate. The reels probably are low quality but the rods are decent.  I'm betting most of the guys hating on them have never owned one. Yes theres a lot of YouTube hype blah blah. Buy what you're interested in and seems good to you and enjoy it. Search around on here and you'll see theres no need to ask for advice on anything googan or favorite related 

Thanks shimano, I’ve done enough research to know that investing in a nicer casting reel will last me longer than a rod a super expensive rod. I appreciate the support and positivity, I’ve been following some rods discounted on eBay.

You give up craftsmanship, better components, and strike sensitivity with a lower quality rod. All rods will last a lifetime if you take care of it. Though I haven't tried one yet, the KastKing rods get great reviews, Amazon Prime availability, and they are inexpensive. The Lees orange mach crush combo is a great lsetup, and it is rather inexpensive. I would go grab one of those $7.50 rod at Dick's. As you will soon find out, you can never have enough rods and reels.

• Like 1

The Daiwa Aird-X would be a great rod for you. Can easily find them for around $50...been told they fish like a rod that's at least twice as expensive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brett's_daddy said:

The Daiwa Aird-X would be a great rod for you. Can easily find them for around $50...been told they fish like a rod that's at least twice as expensive.

I own two Aird-X rods and use my M/F for crank/jerk and T-rigs/Spinner/Chatter/Buzzbaits 1/2oz and less and the H/F for pitch/flip/punch, frogs and T-Rigs/Spinner/Chatter/Buzz over 1/2 oz. I'm liking them very much and will probably stick with them for any replacements or new rods I purchase.

I just picked up a Shimano Convergence MHF as a quick, cheap replacement for a rod I broke and it has been surprisingly enjoyable to fish with and surprisingly sensitive. $59 at most places.

Shimano Clarus is on sale at Sierra Trading Post for $49...that's usually an $80 rod anywhere you look. The only thing is they have limited sizes (7ft. Medium/Fast, 7ft. Medium-Heavy/Fast).

On 7/9/2019 at 5:57 PM, Mikeltee said:

You give up craftsmanship, better components, and strike sensitivity with a lower quality rod. All rods will last a lifetime if you take care of it. Though I haven't tried one yet, the KastKing rods get great reviews, Amazon Prime availability, and they are inexpensive. The Lees orange mach crush combo is a great lsetup, and it is rather inexpensive. I would go grab one of those $7.50 rod at Dick's. As you will soon find out, you can never have enough rods and reels.

Thank you for your input, I may go back and check it out :)

On 7/8/2019 at 12:55 AM, JiggyJonJon said:

Hi y’all, just getting into the sport and trying to build my arsenal as well help learn different techniques so please feel free to pm/comment anything that you need to let go. 

On a budget need a cheap crank or Flippin rod option shipped to Oregon. Preferbably 6”8 Medium-Mod or 7’6 Med/Hvy-Mod Action. I want to try duckett n Favorite so +1 for those but anything works honestly. 

Thank you!

DSG has this Lews Mach 2 rod/reel combo on sale for $99...that's a pretty tough deal to beat right now!

https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/lews-mach-ii-speed-spool-baitcast-combo-16lewamch7ftmhbcccom/16lewamch7ftmhbcccom?clickid=wtHUxgVM3TIG2V%3AQluwulSVwUklWaGUNLwamXA0&irgwc=1&camp=AFF:mediapartner:BANNER:120x60:10451:320230.