Jump to content
12poundbass

Motorguide with a new Tour model

Recommended Posts

Motorguide has introduced their new Tour models. The Tour and Tour Pro. Cable steer with anchor mode which is unusual and interesting, nobody else has done it. The price points seem more down to earth too which is good news. 

 

https://shop.motorguide.com/products/941900050.html

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did a live demo of it on Facebook this morning. It's available for replay. Just visit our Facebook page to see it.

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Glenn said:

We did a live demo of it on Facebook this morning. It's available for replay. Just visit our Facebook page to see it.

 

Thanks!

Unfortunately for me I don’t do FB. Fishing social media is the extent for me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Glenn said:

We did a live demo of it on Facebook this morning. It's available for replay. Just visit our Facebook page to see it.

 

Thanks!

Anything on the version with Spot Lock Glenn?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the msrp going to ne on the new mg tours? Ive read lowrance is coming at $3k and a lil over $3k for garmin. Ultrex looks like a much better deal to me still. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, junyer357 said:

What is the msrp going to ne on the new mg tours? Ive read lowrance is coming at $3k and a lil over $3k for garmin. Ultrex looks like a much better deal to me still. 

I read the Tours are starting at $1299 and the Tour Pro starts at $2399 or something close to that. 

2 hours ago, Tim Kelly said:

Anything on the version with Spot Lock Glenn?

If I read correctly they all have anchor mode (MG version of spotlock) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only the tour pro has the spot lock function 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So basically tour is a fortrex competitor (like,it used to be) and tour pro is a ultrex competitor? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup. I think they've missed a trick. A cable steer with spot lock is all most bass anglers would want, all the other features and functions are pretty unnecessary. Make it $2k or under and they'd race out of the door.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tim Kelly said:

Yup. I think they've missed a trick. A cable steer with spot lock is all most bass anglers would want, all the other features and functions are pretty unnecessary. Make it $2k or under and they'd race out of the door.

Yup ~ 

Simply link the TM to the Humminbird's existing GPS and call it good.

Out the door for $1800.

I'd think about.

:smiley:

A-Jay

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I want is Cable steer and spot lock!!!

 

Yeah.. I was set to get get an ultrex in the next 6-8 months or less.  With the news of Garmin and me running an all Garmin ship, I am interested, even at $3k.  For me, buying an ultrex just get me a good motor and spotlock. All other features would be wastes, so paying more for Garmin was ok.  

 

Motor guide has a great solution... But at that price, I would rather go u

On up to another motor.  If motorguide was selling at a more reasonable price, I believe they could steal the market.  As someone said above, all I want is Cable steer and spot lock... That's all.  Waypoints and other stuff is not a big deal at all.  

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jaimeastin said:

All I want is Cable steer and spot lock!!!

If someone would make a $1,500 spot lock & cable steer, 12v/55lb they'd have my money yesterday.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2019 at 10:20 AM, Tim Kelly said:

Yup. I think they've missed a trick. A cable steer with spot lock is all most bass anglers would want, all the other features and functions are pretty unnecessary. Make it $2k or under and they'd race out of the door.

I cannot understand how one of these TM companies haven’t realized this yet. I’m willing to pay a very fair price for what I am looking for in a trolling motor. Motorguide seems to at least have made some sense with the pricing of these new models coming it at an even price point as Minn Kota. As nice as the Lowrance and Garmin models are, I think the price tag is going to really limit sales. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those that aren’t picky and have to have cable steer, the Minn Kota Terrova has spot lock, a choice of voltages and shaft length and is a little over $1500. The auto pilot is also a great feature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every time I've used a boat with a powerdrive or XI5 electric steer motor I've really struggled. I can't see how people manage to bass fish with them, unless they exclusively fish offshore. They're so unintuitive and you have to be constantly checking which way the motor's pointed. Cable steer is superior in every way, other than the lack of spot lock for most bass anglers. Walleye and striper anglers have very different needs and the electric steer suits them very well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Tim Kelly said:

Every time I've used a boat with a powerdrive or XI5 electric steer motor I've really struggled. I can't see how people manage to bass fish with them, unless they exclusively fish offshore. They're so unintuitive and you have to be constantly checking which way the motor's pointed. Cable steer is superior in every way, other than the lack of spot lock for most bass anglers. Walleye and striper anglers have very different needs and the electric steer suits them very well.

All I ever knew was a wireless and it wasn’t the greatest. My G3 came with a cable steer and it’s a world of a difference! I could never go back. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Scott F said:

For those that aren’t picky and have to have cable steer, the Minn Kota Terrova has spot lock, a choice of voltages and shaft length and is a little over $1500. The auto pilot is also a great feature.

I need Cable steer and I don't think in can use the auto pilot feature with my all Garmin setup.

 

That's the issue.  To use all features, you have to be in the right family.  I am not sure if Garmin or lowrance has it truely down with the electric steer responding like a cable steer.

 

The motor guide is looking good to me, I just wish it was $500 less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2019 at 9:27 AM, Junger said:

If someone would make a $1,500 spot lock & cable steer, 12v/55lb they'd have my money yesterday.

On 7/13/2019 at 8:41 AM, stinkychzman55 said:

I cannot understand how one of these TM companies haven’t realized this yet. I’m willing to pay a very fair price for what I am looking for in a trolling motor. Motorguide seems to at least have made some sense with the pricing of these new models coming it at an even price point as Minn Kota. As nice as the Lowrance and Garmin models are, I think the price tag is going to really limit sales. 

 

Costs, and the market, set the price.  Now that everyone else has caught up to Minn Kota, we should see a market adjustment with what should be 4x availability...We'll know more next fall...

 

On 7/13/2019 at 11:04 AM, Scott F said:

For those that aren’t picky and have to have cable steer, the Minn Kota Terrova has spot lock, a choice of voltages and shaft length and is a little over $1500. The auto pilot is also a great feature.

I don't want cable steer!

 

I don't want to be tied to one spot on the boat...something the Ultrex, and now all these other motors have addressed, but why would I want to adopt the Cap'n Morgan stance if I don't have to?

 

On 7/13/2019 at 1:33 PM, Tim Kelly said:

Every time I've used a boat with a powerdrive or XI5 electric steer motor I've really struggled. I can't see how people manage to bass fish with them, unless they exclusively fish offshore. They're so unintuitive and you have to be constantly checking which way the motor's pointed. Cable steer is superior in every way, other than the lack of spot lock for most bass anglers. Walleye and striper anglers have very different needs and the electric steer suits them very well.

I can't speak to the xI5, but applying Powerdrive across the Minn Kota brand is like evaluating a lake by what you can see from the dock.  Powerdrive is manufactured to a price point to allow boat dealers to sell non-fishermen, or inexperienced fishermen a product that looks great until they get it on the water. 

 

I run an Ulterra now, and have had two Terrovas in the past...and they can turn their heads 180° in well less than the time it takes me to count, "...one...two...three...".  I fish right tight to shore, and to docks, often and all it takes is a wee bit o' lookin' ahead, planning and anticipation.  There's no situation where having to wait less than three seconds to do a 180° reverse is a problem, unless I'm waiting until the last moment to change the direction of the TM.

 

...but the Ultrex already solved those problems, years ago.

 

The thing with electric steer, and all the benefits that come with it (Spot lock, follow the contour, follow a route, etc.) is you have to be willing to change how you fish.  There are places, on some of my local lakes where I either put the motor on follow the contour, or follow a route, where I don't touch the controls for more than a half hour.

 

If someone gave me a cable steer TM, I'd sell it...but these new hybrids are interesting and may change how I think about that.

 

Sure would like to have 130# thrust...I get 4 MPH out my Ulterra with 112# thrust...can't wait to see what MK comes out with to counter that...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...