dupert

transporting rods in truck bed

My truck has a hard folding tonneau cover. I'm just looking for ideas on how to store my fishing rods in the truck bed. I want to secure them so that they won't slide around in the bed. Thanks.

Get a piece of 2" 4x8 styrofoam blueboard. Cut into 2 2x8 pieces. Trace rods and reels on one piece and fit them. Glue other 2x8 piece underneath. Fit to bed of truck; I suggest diagonally to prevent sliding. If you want, attach bungee cords to hold rods and reels in place, but I never found it necessary.    jj

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dupert said:

Thanks for the idea.

You're welcome.   jj

• Like 1

Get a Velcro kit, you can strap your rods down with ease..Also the velcro is easy to remove if you no longer want it.

Home depot, ect has them.

Rubber bed mats have always worked for me.

I faced the same dilemma earlier this year. I ended up buying a Flambeau Bazuka Pro rod tube and two Plano X-Large 1404 pistol cases which work great for reels as well. I have fit 9 casting rods plus 2 or 3 spinning rods in the rod tube, and a case holds 6 smaller to medium sized bass spinning reels or 9 casting reels.

It might be more than you wanted to spend (I believe this ran me $90 or so) but this also protects my rods and reels from things that may be sliding around in the bed of the truck and lets me transport as many rods or reels as I may need to along with camping gear, my ice chest, etc.

I have the short bed version of a 2016 Silverado half ton.  I used to have a 3/4 ton Silverado with the standard bed.  There were a lot more options with the 3/4 ton because you could lay the rods in at any angle.  The new truck not so much.  They have to go diagonally.  I only put them in the bed if I am going on someone else’s boat.  So when I do, I also have my soft sided tackle box.  I put the reels on the top of the tackle box and wrap the tips in a towel I keep in the back of the truck.  I have never broken a rod or bent an eye.  I also have a hard folding tonneau that opens from both ends.