billmac

Fenders with bass boats

Do you guys use fenders with your bass boat?  I don't foresee ever having my boat docked for any significant portion of time, just perhaps launching.  I didn't really see them in use at the collegiate tournament I worked at, but I wasn't looking at that time.

I use them when I rent a cabin for the week on vacation. The boat is tied to the dock and the fenders keep the boat from rubbing up against it. On day trips, I don’t use them.

1 hour ago, billmac said:

Do you guys use fenders with your bass boat?  I don't foresee ever having my boat docked for any significant portion of time, just perhaps launching.  I didn't really see them in use at the collegiate tournament I worked at, but I wasn't looking at that time.

It depends on where I'm docking.  If it's a nice wooden dock, then probably no fenders.  If it has some nasty bolts sticking out, then I use fenders.  Aluminum docks I'll use fenders.  The Taylor Low Freeboard work well for my set-up.

After my first season I found some sharp gouges along my gunnel.  The fenders also help protect my bimini when docked, so I use them quite a bit.  :Captain:

• Like 1

I had custom Champion ones that I carried around for 14 years and only used once.  I don’t have any now and don’t foresee needing any.

A set of custom ranger fenders came with my boat. I used them once. Fenders are a pain.

Unless the water is really rough, I don't see the need for them for launching/ loading. I just try to tie off downwind, so if the boat does move it is away from the dock.

plus the rub rail on bass boats do a pretty good job of protecting the hull.

Actually, when I use the same dock every day on vacation, I tie them to the dock so I don’t have to mess with them every time I tie up or pull away.

Last year for our week long trip in Wisconsin I used my power poles and a bow rope to hold my boat at the dock at the cottage.  I did notice some rubs when I got home.  This year I am still going to use my poles but I will tie some bumpers to the dock like I used to do.  

20 minutes ago, TOXIC said:

Last year for our week long trip in Wisconsin I used my power poles and a bow rope to hold my boat at the dock at the cottage.  I did notice some rubs when I got home.  This year I am still going to use my poles but I will tie some bumpers to the dock like I used to do.  

If a big wind comes up and rocks the boat a lot, won’t the power poles bounce off the bottom and let the back end swing around?

Yes every time I launch my boat when fishing alone I attach 2 fenders to the dock side of my boat and leave them on after securing the tie downs while parking my vehicle.

It only takes 1 nail with 1 boat wake or wave to tear up the gel coat. My glass bass boats have never hit a dock as a result.

Tom

I use these as they came with my boat when I bought it. I use at least one when launching by myself. The only person who is going to care enough about what happens to your boat and how it looks is you. https://www.akuaboatfenders.com/shop/akua-bass-boat-fender