Harvest master

Catch bass hovering above ledges

I am fishing in 25 foot of water on a ledge in my home lake. However, they are above the ledge in the 15 to 20 ft range. I believe they are feeding on shade what would be the best way to fish this?

Welcome to the forum.  

Crankbait, spoon,  swim jig 

Hello and Welcome to Bass Resource ~

I'd stroll a swimbait or perhaps an A-Rig or even an underspin, right over there head.

:smiley:

A-Jay

• Like 1

I've had good luck hopping a light jig down deep light that.  Similar to how a big spoon I'd ripped then flutters back down

Flutter spoons, underspins, and don't forget the spybait. 

If the lake is a highland power generation impoundment the bass (if they are bass) are suspended and may be inactive waiting for the current to start up. If the bass are inactive suspended nothing works well. If the bass are suspended and active feeding on baitfish lots of lures can work. 

My question is do you meter baitfish schools? If you do are the schools in balls or clouds? Baitfish in balls are being attacked by predators and a high percentage presentation is vertical structure spoons or casting flutter spoons. I prefer Scroungers with Sluggo trailer over crankbaits because you can control the running depth over a longer strike zone depth.

If the bass are closer to the structure then jigs and worms work good.

Tom

34 minutes ago, WRB said:

If the lake is a highland power generation impoundment the bass (if they are bass) are suspended and may be inactive waiting for the current to start up. If the bass are inactive suspended nothing works well. If the bass are suspended and active feeding on baitfish lots of lures can work. 

My question is do you meter baitfish schools? If you do are the schools in balls or clouds? Baitfish in balls are being attacked by predators and a high percentage presentation is vertical structure spoons or casting flutter spoons. I prefer Scroungers with Sluggo trailer over crankbaits because you can control the running depth over a longer strike zone depth.

If the bass are closer to the structure then jigs and worms work good.

Tom

No they do not rely on current they are balled up feeding on shad at the 16 to 20 ft range. 

My favorite Shad structure spoon was Megabait jigging spoon no longer available but P-Line Laser Minnow looks very similar. 3/4 orx1 oz size with #2 charteuse/white feather treble hook works good for bass feeding on Shad schools. 15-20' is fairly shallow to keep on top of the bait, it's better to back off about a 2 boat length and underhand lib cast the spoon, engage the reel ant let the spoon fall on slightly tight line down through the baitfish.

Tom

You might try to yo yo a blade bait or lipless down around them.