Sign in to follow this  
HPBB

Johnson V 4

I have been looking to get a used motor for my boat, old motor blew up. my budgit is low so older motors are what's on my shopping list. I am looking for a Suzuki or Merc, but have trouble finding one. I really don't know much about Johnson V 4 motors. My grandfather has a 88hp V 4, its a early 80's and it seems to always work and no problems. Its reliability is what has pulled me to them. I found a 1993 Johnson GT100. guy wants a little to much for it right now, but am trying to get him in my price range. here are a few questions that I have about Johnson/rude V 4 motors.

1. What is the differance between a crossflow motor and a looper motor? is one better than the other? What is a crossflow? a looper?

2. I have seen the GT series in the bigger V 6 150hp + motors, but this is the first one I have seen in midrange power. Is there a differance between the GT V4 motors and the standard V4's? or is it just a differant sticker on it?

any help wold be great. Thank you very much

To be a looper it has to be a 120 - 140 hp V-4, the 100 is a crossflow

The looper motors make more power, later technology.

The crossflow is a good reliable motor but those little V-4s usually only come with a six or nine amp charging system.

Not sure what makes the V-4's a GT, the main thing in means on the bigger V-6's is they came with a larger charging system because of the demands bass boats placed on them.  They also had stiffer motor mounts.

Looper and crossflow is refrenced to how the charge inters and exits the cylinder.  

The difference between the 100 and the 115 is the bubble back (tuned) exhaust and don't think about trying to make the 100 flat back motor a 115, totally different block and exhaust adapter.

Your grandfathers 88 is basically the same motor as the 100 you're looking at.  You should consider figuring $300 to replace the oil injection.  The early units did have a few problems.  They upgraded them in 99 and those are much more reliable, or you can disconnect it and premix your fuel if you want to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

thanks for the info guys. that helped out alot.

I think I might pass on the GT100, the guy doesn't seem to want to come down in price. also my max hp is 120 so I would rather get a 115 or 120

Some things to consider..

The outboard controls do not work with other brands. You didnt mention what type of motor you had blow up. You should stick with the same brand motor unless you want or need to change the controls.

What is the rated HP for you hull? You should not exceed that.

Is your hull and transom in good condition? Make repairs before you repower the boat.

With the oil companies adding ethanol (10%) to the pump gas, you should choose a newer motor if possible.

I have owned a 140 evinrude, 115 johnson, and i now have a 150 mercury. All run well if properly maintained (prevent overheating!)

and can last for many years. The jap motors...Im not so sure.

Water pressure and water temperature gauges are a must.

I prefer the mercury motor now only because I have one!

Good luck

I need to clarify my remark about the 120 to 140's being loopers. That only applies to motors 1985 and newer, that was the first year for the V4 looper. Earlier V-4's, 140's etc were all crossflows.

Now if you want a real hotrod and as crazy as me, find you a 120 looper, that meets the satifies the HP rating of the hull.  Then get you a 140 looper front half and a little porting work will give you and easy 175 hp.  I have a 140 looper on an old Stratos 168V that making about 190 hp.  Talk about a little boat that will run with the big boys.  Not as fast as my Javelin but it makes a lot of people take a second look.

Way2slow, I am looking at a 96 Stratos 278 that he just put 140 evinrude looper with "all new internals". Is that motor worth in vesting in?

Thanks

Those V4s were reliable back in the day. The johnson fast strike 150s seem to be just as reliable and have a crazy amount of power. Both love to drink gas at maximum levels

• Like 1

I had a '91 Evinrude GT 150 on a Lund Pro-V 1800...I live near a 6,000 acre lake that's about 7 miles north to south...

Great motor...but it'd nearly empty my gas tank on a round trip end to end at much above 1/2 throttle.

6 hours ago, Weedless said:

Way2slow, I am looking at a 96 Stratos 278 that he just put 140 evinrude looper with "all new internals". Is that motor worth in vesting in?

Thanks

@Way2slow