Sign in to follow this  
dieselaw

old outboard motors...

so i am looking into an older bass boat, here is an example, http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/752326310.html .... i was wondering how long should an outboard motor last if taken care of? do smaller motors last longer than larger ones? is either better for a first time boat owner like myself? i will take all tips u guys can give . thx!

When you look at it one key is sell (actually feeling/walking on parts) to see if their is any weak spots, especially in the transom.  Another thing you can do is do a compression test.  You can buy a compression tester for, I think they are about $20 at a auto store.  Just take out the spark plugs and hook up the tester to where the spark plug was and start crack the engine (it would start because you took out all the spark plugs) but it will give you a compression reading.  Do that to all cylinders and just make sure they are good.  I think you usually get about 120-150, but what ever number you get all the cylinders should be about the same number.  It might not be the same number like 125, 127, 124, 123, etc...  That is fine, just not 125, 128, 124, 50.

Hey ... I have an 18 horse evinrude fast twin ..its a lats 60's model and starts up within 3 pulls when cold and 1 when warm. the motor is still strong. so i guess what im saying is as long as the motor has been cared for there is no age limit.  btw that boat is overpriced! keep looking man theres better deals out there. :)

I have a 21 year old Yamaha OB on my bass boat.  It's just keeps on ticking but I have had to make repairs on it over the years.  Your best bet to making any motor last include not running the thing without sufficient cooling water on flush muffs for long periods, good maintenance and above all else, don't over rev the thing when running.  

As long as you keep up on the maintance it should last a long time.  I've got a 1965 55HP Chrysler engine on my boat and still starts right up just about on the first try.

Also one thing I forgot to mention is boat sales are higher in the spring and summer then in the fall and winter.  Winter when boat sales are at the slowest you can find a real good deal.  You can also find a deal at the end of the season because some people don't want to pay for te storage fee for the winter.  Also go with your gut, if your 100% into the boat then their might be something about it that isn't right.  Just keep looking and you will find that right boat that will catch your eye and be a good boat.  

I kept looking and got my first running boat last year in january and paid $700, doesn't get a drop of water in it, motor starts right up, and no weak spots.  You can't beat that, but I looked around a lot.