Marc Tyler

Z-man jackhammer vs zman original

I finally talked myself into getting a jackhammer but I do have a question. Does the original have the same action and quick startup as the jackhammer, but with different hooks and skirts? The blades look the same but I didn't grab an original to go with the jackhammer 

A lot of people say they're better than the original. I invested 14.00 on one on e-bay. Yes, it caught fish but after catching about a 3 lbr. the blade got bent out of tune. Try as I might I only made it worse. Went back to my original, caught plenty of bass with no blade issues. The Jackhammer does have a thinner blade I believe.

The major difference is in how the blade strikes the head. The jackhammer has a definite edge over the others in that respect. It will also run truer at higher speeds. Yes, it costs MUCH more, but the difference is worth it, IMHO. 

If you want your bladed jig to start up fast, slightly bend the top of the blade backwards toward the bait. An old trick that comes standard on the Jackhammer.

• Thanks 1

I just bought a couple of Jack Hammers and SK Thunder Crickets to try out but haven't used them yet. Supposedly the JH starts up quicker and stays down in the water column better at higher speeds. It also has a wire tied skirt, good bait holder and a great hook.

20 hours ago, The Bassman said:

A lot of people say they're better than the original. I invested 14.00 on one on e-bay. Yes, it caught fish but after catching about a 3 lbr. the blade got bent out of tune. Try as I might I only made it worse. Went back to my original, caught plenty of bass with no blade issues. The Jackhammer does have a thinner blade I believe.

I have never fished a chatter bait, but bought a couple Zman customs to use in the future. I did notice that the line tie was sturdy, but not a snap, and the blade appeared to be attached in such a way that replacing would be a problem if damaged, unlike a blade on a Spinnerbait.

Are these lures repairable if damaged or are they use until broke and just replace?

28 minutes ago, 5/0 said:

I have never fished a chatter bait, but bought a couple Zman customs to use in the future. I did notice that the line tie was sturdy, but not a snap, and the blade appeared to be attached in such a way that replacing would be a problem if damaged, unlike a blade on a Spinnerbait.

Are these lures repairable if damaged or are they use until broke and just replace?

Pretty much just break and replace with Z-Man. Their claim to fame is that their blades are attached to the jig eye with no connecters so they have a more pronounced vibration. I haven't tried bending the eye out because it seems pretty solid.

Both will catch fish, but the jackhammer is the better bait. Like others have said, the thinner blade starts up quickly and has a nice tight vibration. This bait stays down better in the water column. Some of the other bladed jigs on the market tend to want to rise to the surface during the retrieve. Great hook and bait keeper.

The price sucks but it’s worth it imo