jtjohns

Pre-purchase rod and reel check

Just watched several reviews on the Tatula SV... this thing looks amazing.  Found a very slightly used one for $130; think I have my reel.  

Just a matter of finding the right fury at this point..... or ugly stik 😉

Oh see now you found a sell let us help you spend the rest. A St.Croix eyecon or Bass X would put you right at the $230-250 mark. Now you have a nice reel and a nice rod.

7 minutes ago, RedRob said:

Oh see now you found a sell let us help you spend the rest. A St.Croix eyecon or Bass X would put you right at the $230-250 mark. Now you have a nice reel and a nice rod.

Yup!! $130 is pretty reasonable, correct me if I'm wrong.  

I've been looking and comparing rods.  Most of the reviews have given the edge to the fury.  I don't have any brand preference though.

If ur for sure on the slx reel I'd get the combo. American legacy had them for like 139. I've owned the combo and for that money it's hard to beat. If ur new to casting reels I'd suggest a fuego ct over the slx. Just an easier reel to use in my opinion and they're thanks. Fuego on a fury would make a sweet combo. 

3 minutes ago, Shimano_1 said:

If ur for sure on the slx reel I'd get the combo. American legacy had them for like 139. I've owned the combo and for that money it's hard to beat. If ur new to casting reels I'd suggest a fuego ct over the slx. Just an easier reel to use in my opinion and they're thanks. Fuego on a fury would make a sweet combo. 

Just purchased the tatula sv.  Rod hunt continues...

I'm sure that sv will serve u well. The fury is a fine rod. Dicks has the Falcon lowrider rods for like 99 can be had cheaper with coupons.  I personally like the omens black rods and basspro carbonlite rods as well. Plenty of good options around 100 and some for less. Good luck I know its tough making decisions.  Maybe take ur reel to a store and try it on some rods. 

$130 for a Tat SV in good shape is a decent price.  An SV reel is good if you are a beginner with baitcast gear.  An SV spool is good if you plan on using the reel for skipping.  An SV spool is good for lighter baits.

How light will your lures be...in total?  If the total weight is going to be around 5/16 oz. and over (and you have some baitcast reel experience) then you don't 'need' a reel with an SV spool.  A standard Tatula CT will serve you well, and can be had for less.  I will say I really like the looks of my Tat SV.  Definitely not trying to talk you out of an SV.  Just pointing out that an SV may not be necessary in your case if money is tight.

Also would you consider buying used?  You can get some very good deals off this and other boards.  Probably my best buy was $65 for a used reel in very good condition that listed for $250 new.  Also closeouts can be very good occasionally.  Try $98 for a new reel that previously sold for $200.  :teeth:

This would be over your budget, but if looking for a sensitive rod you might want to give it a look anyway.

http://tackletour.com/reviewabuvillaincasting.html

16 hours ago, new2BC4bass said:

$130 for a Tat SV in good shape is a decent price.  An SV reel is good if you are a beginner with baitcast gear.  An SV spool is good if you plan on using the reel for skipping.  An SV spool is good for lighter baits.

How light will your lures be...in total?  If the total weight is going to be around 5/16 oz. and over (and you have some baitcast reel experience) then you don't 'need' a reel with an SV spool.  A standard Tatula CT will serve you well, and can be had for less.  I will say I really like the looks of my Tat SV.  Definitely not trying to talk you out of an SV.  Just pointing out that an SV may not be necessary in your case if money is tight.

Also would you consider buying used?  You can get some very good deals off this and other boards.  Probably my best buy was $65 for a used reel in very good condition that listed for $250 new.  Also closeouts can be very good occasionally.  Try $98 for a new reel that previously sold for $200.  :teeth:

This would be over your budget, but if looking for a sensitive rod you might want to give it a look anyway.

http://tackletour.com/reviewabuvillaincasting.html

Thanks for the info.  The Tat SV will be here this weekend!  This will only be my 2nd baitcaster so I'm far from a pro.  So far, most of my baits are 3/8oz so maybe slightly over 1/2oz total weight.  Once this reel is set up, I'll have a little wiggle room with 3 different rods, 2 baitcasters and 1 spinner.

I'll have to keep an eye out for used stuff on here; haven't done that much so far.  Knowing me, I'll be buying another setup in a month or so.