teamfyss

How old is too old? Nitro 912

An old friend of my brothers is selling a 1997 Nitro Savage 912 with 225 merc for a pretty decent price, and may even let me get a better deal on it. I’ve never had a fiberglass boat, but as far as I know they’re solid as long as you can maintain them. So my question is..

What are your thoughts on 20+ year old glass boats? Are they worth the hassle? And has anyone had this boat specifically?

Thanks in advance!

I just bought an 88 Cajun Maverick. So far so good.  I think the trouble spots in the old glass boats are the wooden parts.

• Like 1

I’m still using a 1988 Ranger that is cosmetically a little faded, but is in otherwise great shape. Everything depends on how it’s been used and stored over the years.

• Like 1

My main concern would be the transom.  Make sure it is solid.

• Like 1

I have no experience with that particular boat. As said above, how it’s been taken care of and ensuring it’s structurally sound are key. My glitter barge is a ‘98 and I’d not hesitate to own another that old or older. 

One thing I would think about outside of the soundness of the hull and the outboard is simply that many parts like plumbing, pumps, wiring connections, switches, etc. are also likely older. They may or may not need attention. That’s just something to keep in mind.  Not a deal breaker to me by any means. 

• Like 1

Find out where the wood exists on the boat. As previously stated those are the areas to be most susceptible to time. Transom, deck floor, stringers are generally the biggest offenders.

Also, any areas where the gel coat is missing and the fiberglass matting is showing.

Otherwise, a well taken care of hull should last a long time.

The motor and fuel delivery system are the parts of the boat that are likely least resistant to time.

My cousin got burned on that exact boat a cple years ago. Transom was pretty much gone and he was too green to figure it out. That doesnt mean they're prone to that, someone just didnt take care of it. I'm of the belief that a good portion of older glass boats with wood in them are most likely water logged and people never notice it til something catastrophic happens.  Pretty sure those hulls were part of what gave nitro a bad rap that I think they still havent fully recovered from. I'd definitely do my homework and go over it with a fine tooth comb.  

• Confused 1

As far as I know the boat has been well taken care of, it’s from a family friend who has 3 boats and just needs the extra room. His exact words “There is absolutely nothing wrong with it and the transom is solid, small chips on bottom in gel coat but not through to the fiberglass”. I’ve never had a fiberglass or a boat over 16ft for that matter 😂 but at a good price why not right??