Sign in to follow this  
A-Jay

13 Aug 2019 ~ Pair of 5's & a Mudfish (video)

I got out onto Lake Menderchuck just before sunrise and it was a pretty morning.

Air temps in the low 60’s and water temps right around 70. I’d fished yesterday morning as well.

Didn’t put a single bass in the frabil, but before I left I did some RECON on my favorite flat and found the bait.

Not being on the water for 10 days meant it took a while.

Either way, you can probably guess where I started this morning.

Initially tried to feed the resident fatties an A-Rig and did hook one up – lost it at the boat though – Hate that.

A little later the wind died and the lake went flat calm.

Pop Max to the rescue.

Made a cast in the direction of a rise and ended up with a stout smallie.

She was just under 5 ½ lbs.

Couple of hours later the rains came.

And after noticing all the crayfish parts left behind by that first fatty, I decided to throw a vibrating jig (Jackhammer) with a red Rage Bug Trailer.

Retraced my waypoints around area where I’d seen the bait (4 inch yellow perch) and stuck another tanker.

She was a goby heavier than the first fish at 5.77 lbs.

Didn’t have the video running for the catch, unfortunately.

So I got the release instead.

Broke in the new GoPro Hero7 Silver this trip.

So far so good.

Also caught my first mudfish, which was pretty cool.

:smiley:

A-Jay

• Like 12

Nice! Looks like they’re fattening up well for fall, I’m off for 4 days in another couple weeks to head to my parents in Elliot Lake, On. to chase nothing but the same type of fatties as that. Can’t hardly wait. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Way north bass guy said:

Nice! Looks like they’re fattening up well for fall, I’m off for 4 days in another couple weeks to head to my parents in Elliot Lake, On. to chase nothing but the same type of fatties as that. Can’t hardly wait. 

Thank you my friend - 

Best of luck on your next adventure.

:smiley:

A-Jay

I've only ever caught 2 bowfin, both flipping plastics into grass while I was in Florida. I had fun catching them. I could see where they'd be disappointing if they were a common catch, but for someone who had never caught or seen one, they were neat and man did they pull hard. 

• Like 2

Nice Bowfin! Small ones fight hard so I can only imagine how a 6lb’er must feel on the end of a line.

The Smallies are fantastic as always.

• Like 1

That first smallmouth bit your plug even though you pronounced your hate for it on the previous long cast! Hahah. We don’t have bowfin here but I have caught one way down south and they tear the world apart. Excellent catches 

• Like 1

Just hooked my first Smallie last weekend, it's addicting, I feel your pain on losing them right at the finish line, had a nice 2-3 pound lmb slip off my ned rig this morning, it's pretty soul crushing when it happens lol, very nice fish

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sphynx said:

Just hooked my first Smallie last weekend, it's addicting, I feel your pain on losing them right at the finish line, had a nice 2-3 pound lmb slip off my ned rig this morning, it's pretty soul crushing when it happens lol, very nice fish

I just look at it as a quick release unless I'm fishing a tourney

Then I curl into a ball and cry

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

congrats on your first puppyfish A!!...catching them, i always felt they were kinda like a fictional hybrid blend of a smallie and a pike = strong like a smallie and attitude of a pike...cool fish, i respect them but avoid simply because the bigguns with that hard bony mouth are good at wrecking baits...and they can just be chaotic bringing them aboard...

relic of the past though... Bowfin, (Amia calva), also called grindle, mudfish, or dogfish, freshwater fish of the order Amiiformes (superorder Holostei); it is the only living representative of its family (Amiidae), which dates back to the Jurassic Period (199.6 to 145.5 million years ago).

• Thanks 1