Wizzlebiz

Black bass in my local pond/lake

Today I went back out to attempt to catch my 1st fish (which was successful btw) but when I pulled into the place to do the 2 mile hike to the lake the park ranger asked me to keep any black bass I catch. 

I asked her if it was an invasive species and she just looked at me with all seriousness and said yes. They need to go. Babies, full grown it doesnt matter get them out of there. 

So what is the deal with black bass? Why so bad? 

Can I target only black bass to help? If so how?

Keep in mind im very new to this. 

Thanks. 

Welp. I just looked up black bass and I appreciate you guys not flamig me for this thread. 

Have a wonderful day. 

Black bass includes largemouth, smallmouth, and spotted bass, none of which are native to California. They've been established for decades now, so not really an "invasive" at this point, but things are different in California and they've made bass public enemy number 1 in some waterways it seems. 

Ah I didnt know that there was a war on bass out here.

Regardless im not removing anything. Once I realized they were asking me to remove exactly what I go there to fish for I kind of laughed a bit at myself.  

12 minutes ago, Bluebasser86 said:

but things are different in California

Don't get me started. Understatement of the year :) People are public enemy number one!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, schplurg said:

Don't get me started. Understatement of the year :) People are public enemy number one!

Tried to word it as PC as possible. I couldn't live there, certainly wouldn't want to try to do what I do for a living there. 

• Like 2

Disregard what I said as per Tom's post re: the Delta...

Wake up, the DFW department of fish and wildlife formally DFG (G was for game) is a department of the state government. The entire Delta river system was designated as a native fish zone and all non native fish are considered invasive species including Black bass (all species) and Stripe bass. It's been a several year battle to save bass fishing and the fight isn't over!

Tom

• Sad 3

10 hours ago, Wizzlebiz said:

Welp. I just looked up black bass and I appreciate you guys not flamig me for this thread. 

Have a wonderful day. 

Welcome to BR and bass fishing. 

You live near some world class bass fishing lakes and should enjoy your outings without being concerned about catch and release the fish you catch or keep. There isn't any current regulations preventing you from releasing Black bass species. The DFW is simply following direction of the Senitor Feinstein various bills to save salmon and steelhead trout populations in the Delta region. Water usage is the driver, the fish are just a pone in a high stacks game of politics.

Tom

• Like 1