aPaul19

Upgrading drop shot set-up

Hey All,

I'm in the market for the new drop shot combo.  I know what rod i'm going with but i'm torn on which reel to grab.  I have some flexibility in price but have mostly been looking between $130-$170 range for a reel.  A few that I have looked at have been the Lews pro speed spin, Daiwa BG, Daiwa Procyon, Shimano Ultegra and the Pflueger supreme xt. 

Anyone have any experience with any of these or recommendations from your own preferences?  Any input would be greatly appreciated! 

I just got a Tatula LT2000 last month.  WOW!!! It's as light as a feather, and smooth as silk. I would not say it's on par with my Steez, but to be honest, IMHO it isn't far enough behind to warrant the extra money that the Steez costs. I would highly recommend it.  I Paired it with a Loomis IMX Pro DSR 820S and this combo fishes like a dream.

RE the Pflueger. One thing you may want to research on this reel.  Abu Garcia and Pflueger are just about the same reels.  Abu has been having some failure problems with their anti reverse mechanism.  I don't know if Pflueger is experiencing the same problems, but it is definitely something I would look into before I bought one.

13 minutes ago, Timberwolf530 said:

I just got a Tatula LT2000 last month.  WOW!!! It's as light as a feather, and smooth as silk. I would not say it's on par with my Steez, but to be honest, IMHO it isn't far enough behind to warrant the extra money that the Steez costs. I would highly recommend it.  I Paired it with a Loomis IMX Pro DSR 820S and this combo fishes like a dream.

RE the Pflueger. One thing you may want to research on this reel.  Abu Garcia and Pflueger are just about the same reels.  Abu has been having some failure problems with their anti reverse mechanism.  I don't know if Pflueger is experiencing the same problems, but it is definitely something I would look into before I bought one.

That's a great tip about the Pflueger, thank you!  I was looking at the Tatula a little bit and people seem to really like it so that's definitely an option I think, Thanks for the help!

I have had great experiences with Pflueger spinning reels and awful with Abu Garcia. I even had a Abu Rep tell me not to buy a spinner (MGX) but stick with Pflueger after warranty problems. If you want a great spinning reel look at stradic or tatula too.

I would recommend the Tatula LT reels. If you like smaller reels get the 2000, if you like a little bit bigger reels get the 3000 shallow spool version. The 3000 shallow spool version has the same line capacity as the 2000, and is slightly heavier. Both are feather light, and both are killer reels!

On 8/15/2019 at 10:33 AM, thunderblack said:

I have had great experiences with Pflueger spinning reels and awful with Abu Garcia. I even had a Abu Rep tell me not to buy a spinner (MGX) but stick with Pflueger after warranty problems. If you want a great spinning reel look at stradic or tatula too.

I've got two Pflueger Supreme and they have been great. Also own two Abu Revo SX and a Orra SX. I will never purchase another Abu spinning reel again🙄 

Go to the store and bend them and see which you like best. Buying rods is like buying shoes, it’s all about how it fits what you’re going to do with it. You can’t go by what works for other people. Simple things like a grip that’s too big or small for your hand can ruin a great rod if it’s uncomfortable in your hand or with your reel. You have to test them out for yourself.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Abu_Garcia_REVO_SX_Spinning_Reel/descpage-RSXT.html

I haven’t tried a lot of different spinning reels, but I have this one and I love it. Very lightweight, smooth, and has a fast gear ratio. With that said this is the only one that I own that is over $100. You probably can’t go wrong with any reels in that price range.