govallis

Why hard to find CX Premium?

Recently I started using Floroclear and love it. So I would like to try the CX Premium for its smaller diameter, but almost no local store carry it, or only the color ones available.

Wonder why stores all prefer Floroclear to CX? I read many negative posts here about the former.

Both are fluorocarbon coated, but why Pline never mark the CX as "invisible" as well? I like smaller diameter but if invisibility is lost then I won't try hard to find the CX. On the other hand, Floroclear is not marked as less stretch; is it significantly more than CX? I found it is much less than C21 and mono, very acceptable to me.

Cx premium is very good line.  I wish they made it in clear.  

I found some. 12# Moss green and 15# Hi-Vis. I measured their diameters, exactly the same as Floroclear, 0.31 mm and 0.36 mm. The CX just has smaller numbers on the package, 0.29 and 0.34, while the measured values match those on the floroclear package. So, there is no point to go for CX's smaller diameters.

On the back of the moss green, it does list "virtually invisible" as one of the features. So there is no worry about the invisibility, must be the same to floroclear too.

As for stretch, I guess not much difference neither, but I'll test them out.

IMG_20190815_212229.jpg

IMG_20190815_212420.jpg

I was scared for a while that P-Line stopped making CX Premium as I couldn't find it at any of my local stores and it seemed like everywhere online was out of stock also.  But it came back.  It's my favorite line with CXX a close second for heavier cover stuff.  I used to like YoZuri Hybrid but it got too curly if I didn't use it enough even with some KVD Line and Lure sprayed on it.  Most of my stores now carry the blue fluorescent, moss green, and hi-viz CX Premium.  Haven't really found the clear anywhere for a long time but I usually just use the moss green stuff and it works great.

*I just realized the "clear" is the blue fluorescent that I see at stores. 

In the last week, I already have had 2-3 unexpected breaks with Floroclear. This reminds me the Vanish. Ever since I changed to Red Label, I have not got a single break for a year now. The Red Label is too stiff, even though I use it as leader only. That's why I started looking for something between fluorocarbon and copolymer.

So I'm done with the Floroclear, even though I love it on everything else, especially the silk casting.

I went out and bought 8# and 10# CX. Hopefully they won't break like the Floroclear. The measured diameters, again, are much larger than the numbers on the package:

CX --- actual diameter --- claimed diameter

8# --- 0.26 --- 0.23

10# --- 0.30 --- 0.27

12# --- 0.31 --- 0.29

15# --- 0.37 --- 0.34

Floroclear --- actual diameter --- claimed diameter

8# --- 0.26 --- 0.25

10# --- 0.30 --- 0.29

12# --- 0.31 --- 0.31

15# --- #.## --- 0.36

Now I can firmly say: "CX has a smaller diameter" is a false claim. As you can see, these two lines are exactly the same on diameters. The CX just have smaller numbers printed on the package.

Another interesting thing is, 12# is barely 0.01 mm larger than 10#. Actually one is more like .31+ and the other 0.31-. The last time I noticed such a thing was the South Bend mono sold in Walmart, the difference between 10 and 12 is barely measurable, while the latter is indeed slightly stronger. So, there is virtually no point for the 10# version of these lines.

Also, 15# is a lot larger than 12#. So unless one really needs the extra strength, don't go 15#. The difference between 12/10# and 8# is also significant, so it makes sense to go 8# when a thinner line is needed.

I'd say for these lines, 12# is the optimal; go 8# or 15# if really needed.

On August 15, 2019 at 9:48 AM, govallis said:

Recently I started using Floroclear and love it. So I would like to try the CX Premium for its smaller diameter, but almost no local store carry it, or only the color ones available.

Wonder why stores all prefer Floroclear to CX? I read many negative posts here about the former.

Both are fluorocarbon coated, but why Pline never mark the CX as "invisible" as well? I like smaller diameter but if invisibility is lost then I won't try hard to find the CX. On the other hand, Floroclear is not marked as less stretch; is it significantly more than CX? I found it is much less than C21 and mono, very acceptable to me.

PLine is promoting their C21 coploymer line, CX is being phsased outdo to due poor sales.

Tom