BGreen27

What size trailer would you use for a 3/8 trashmaster jig?

I haven't fished them, but I believe you'll need a full sized trailer for them to fill the gap to make them weedless since there's no weed guard. My personal preference would be a YUM Craw Papi or Christie Craw, Rage Craw or Menace, or a twin tail grub. 

• Like 1

I'll go all the way up to a Rage Lobster or 6" Gene Larew Hawg Craw. Now I will cut the overall length down.

• Like 1

1. How fast do you want it to fall?

2. How big or small do you want the bait to be?

3. What kind of bass are you targeting? SM, LM, or SB?

4. How thick is the cover you're fishing?

5. How clear is the water?

After answering these questions, there still aren't hard and fast rules, just opinions guided by experience.

Clear water, mid summer, I seldom toss a jig, but if I do I generally want it to fall rapidly which means a narrow, low bouyancy trailer.

Murky water and thicker cover -- larger and slower descent rate, which comes from a larger, wide, flat trailer.

Spring pre-spawn is jig time for me. I often pitch 3/8 and 1/2 Oz jigs with two skirts and a large/wide 6" or longer trailer that time of year since the big girls are shallow and hungry.

• Like 1

Premium jig @ $5.50 each.

I like the looks of the design but haven't fished it.

Short hand tied silicone skirted jig with a screw on spring to attach the trailer, the trailer becomes your weed guard. 

Trailers depend on how you present the jig; heavy cover you want a more streamline shape with fewer appendages, your basic beavers or craw worm. Casting and retreiving structure with less cover twin tail or claw type trailer with more bulk like strike Kings Rage, Yamamoto Cowbow and Berkley Chigger craws are all good choices.

Hope you can afford to loose lots of these jig!

Tom

• Like 1

I have one but haven't fished it yet. I got the 1/2oz. model and while it's a 1/2oz. head it's actually a very small, compact jig. The hook is made of heavy wire and has a screw lock (think a shakey head) so the skirt becomes the weed guard and you're basically t-rigging the trailer so that should make it weedless as well. It looks like a decent jig that can handle heavy cover!

• Like 1

Back in the day there was a company that operated out of Olathe, Kansas, that made jigs called critter bait jigs.  The worked on the same principles as the Trash master jig mentioned in the original post, i.e. a way to connect your trailer to the head, then tx rig the trailer so that it kinda became the brush guard.  There was a time on Truman Lake when these baits were in vogue and guys who were throwing them were catching fish.

Don't know what happened to those guys.  The only way to contact them was by phone and they didn't always answer, and wasn't always connected to an answering machine.  I guess you could have e-mailed them, but I didn't know how to do that then.   I was fishing BFL's at the time and I picked up a few from other KC Metro area co-anglers that I met.  I inquired about the Critter baits jigs at Rogers Lures and they told me that Critter bait wasn't interested in selling through Rogers.

So much for the history lesson.  Since I saw the critter bait I've tried making other open hook jigs weedless, mostly using hitch hikers snapped around the hook eye.   Mixed results - some days they worked and some days they didn't.

These days you see many shakey head designs using similar principles, generally a skirt isn't part of the equation.  I tend to do better with tx rigged jigs with no skirts compared to ones with skirts because they seem to get through the cover I'm pitching them into better.  At $6 at hit, more or less, I'm not inclined to try trash master jigs.  Back again to the original post, I got no clue what is the "correct" size trailer for this bait - so - pick one that looks ok and try it and if it don't work like you think it should pick a different one.  Me, I'd lead off with one of those paca bait trailers, in the largest size.

• Like 1

My go-to trailers for the Trashmaster is the Hoss Craw because this craw has a more compact profile than similar craws (i.e. Rage Craw, Saw, craw, etc. although those work too). I usually bite off the last segment on the body as well to shorten it just a tag. Really nice compact profile.