Titan

Paint I the hook eye of my jigs

I'm using Pro Tec powder paint.  I dipped my jigs and cleaned out the eyes of the hooks.  I hung them in the oven as per the directions. When I took them out, about half had paint covering the eye.  Do you guys know a good way to remove this (now hardened) paint out of the eye?  Also, what can I do to avoid this in the future?  Thanks for the help.  Love the forum!

Heat a needle or cloths pin and poke it through the hardened paint. 

• Like 1

In order to avoid this use needle nosed pliers or hemostats. Hold the jig by the hook eye while dipping and it won’t get any paint in the eye.

• Like 2

I also hold the jig by the eye with pliers.  If I cannot do that, I use a broken off tip of a toothpick in the eye.

Thanks all.  I'll give it a try.

Are you dipping the jigs right in the jar of powder? If so you may want to purchase a fluid bed. What happened is there was a lot of paint around the hook eye and when you cured the jig the extra powder sagged down and clogged the eye back up. A fluid bed makes it easy to get a thin even coat of paint on the jig so that doesn't happen. You can try to be a little faster with dipping the jig in the powder and/or try using a little less heat, that too will help.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

I also do this but I think you meant paper clip unless it's a really big jig

4 minutes ago, CarpCasey said:

I also do this but I think you meant paper clip unless it's a really big jig

No, a sewing needle or cloths pin works on the #2 aberdeen hooks I use for Ned heads just fine. I actually use dentist tools also but without buying special tools, the other 2 will work on about any bass sized jig. 

11 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

No, a sewing needle or cloths pin works on the #2 aberdeen hooks I use for Ned heads just fine. I actually use dentist tools also but without buying special tools, the other 2 will work on about any bass sized jig. 

What kind of clothes pin? I only know of wooden ones unless you mean like a small knitting needle. I'm asking because I may learn something new and that is because I only have ever saw wooden clothes pins. And by clothes pin I mean what we use to hang clothes from the clothes line to dry.

• Like 1

I was trying to figure out if the title of your post was written in iambic pentameter but it doesn't look like it qualifies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, smalljaw67 said:

What kind of clothes pin? I only know of wooden ones unless you mean like a small knitting needle. I'm asking because I may learn something new and that is because I only have ever saw wooden clothes pins. And by clothes pin I mean what we use to hang clothes from the clothes line to dry.

When I say clothes pin, I mean the same thing as a safety pin, sorry for the confusion. 

• Like 1

A pop snagger  will work.  It is also a plier with line cutter along with hook sharpener and line threader.  Mine never leaves the boat.

I used a paperclip.  Heated it up and it melted the hardened paint out of the eye.  No problem!

Thanks for all the replies.

On 8/21/2019 at 8:32 AM, billmac said:

I was trying to figure out if the title of your post was written in iambic pentameter but it doesn't look like it qualifies.

Typo.  Just a typo....  Or typographical error if you prefer.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Titan said:

Typo.  Just a typo

Still, it was somewhat poetic.

On 8/20/2019 at 1:16 AM, Bluebasser86 said:

X2 but use a safety pin or a large needle.