TotalNoob

Owner ST-36 as a replacement treble for Whopper Ploppers/Walking Topwater?

Looking to replace stock Whopper Plopper trebles (sizes 110 and 130) with quality hooks but that are a little thinner diameter than the stock hooks. Will the Owner ST-36 fit the bill here?

I'm also looking at the STX-38 and like what I'm seeing (thinner diameter with plenty of strength) but my concern is that they look like the hooks bend back in a little - tackle warehouse describes them as having a "deep V-bend". Not sure this is the best style for topwater. Can anyone provide any feedback on this? 

Additionally, looking to replace trebles on walking baits, want to make sure I'm on the right track as far the style of hook that's appropriate. I believe I want to stick with wide gap round bends, correct? I'm getting good (great!) hook up ratios on my walking topwaters as they currently are (they are Heddon Spooks), I just want to make sure I have quality hooks on everything. 

Any input/feedback appreciated. 

STX-38 

Tom

• Like 1

I use st36 size 2 for 110 plopper.  Works great, my favorite hook.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, pauldconyers said:

Personally I am a big fan of the KVD/Mustad short shank triple grip model

I have to admit I'm not very clear on some of the characteristics of treble hooks.

As a base starting point, can someone clarify exactly what type of hook is stock on the WP (short shank, round bend, etc??)

I'm literally just looking for identical type/size hook, just don't have need for that thick of gauge hook. My fishery is mostly Smallmouths ranging 12-17".

12-14" fish probably make up 80% of the population, 15" fish make up maybe 10-15%, and the other 5-10% might be 16s and 17s. I've heard of the occasional 17.5 or 18 being caught but it's rare. I've sort of come to accept that about this fishery and am looking to swap hooks appropriately.

15 hours ago, ImThatGuy said:

I use st36 size 2 for 110 plopper.  Works great, my favorite hook.

Is the ST-36 the exact same style hook as the stock hooks you replaced, just thinner? 

8 hours ago, TotalNoob said:

I have to admit I'm not very clear on some of the characteristics of treble hooks.

As a base starting point, can someone clarify exactly what type of hook is stock on the WP (short shank, round bend, etc??)

I'm literally just looking for identical type/size hook, just don't have need for that thick of gauge hook. My fishery is mostly Smallmouths ranging 12-17".

12-14" fish probably make up 80% of the population, 15" fish make up maybe 10-15%, and the other 5-10% might be 16s and 17s. I've heard of the occasional 17.5 or 18 being caught but it's rare. I've sort of come to accept that about this fishery and am looking to swap hooks appropriately.

Is the ST-36 the exact same style hook as the stock hooks you replaced, just thinner? 

Yes, thinner.  Needle point really sticks them.  I have caught at least a hundred fish on these hooks.  Also recommended by tactical bassin for Whopper plopper.  I would check out his video on YouTube.

• Thanks 1

Yes, st-36 is the way to go. Imo those really thick stocks hooks on the wp are way overkill. We aren’t fishing for tuna!

• Like 1