DeeGee68

Fishing the Delta near Antioch

Hello,

After many years of fishing the banks the wife and I finally got us a small bass boat.  We are looking to take our maiden voyage launching out of Antioch and was wondering if anyone will be kind enough to give us some ideas of where to fish for LMB.  Since this is our first time any suggestions will be appreciated.  

Much Thanks!

DeeGee

Maybe someone who lives around the Delta can chip in. 

Antioch is near the western boarder of the San Joaqine Delta at Brown's island south of the Sacramento River, don't go west the water is too brakish that direction. 

Before you boat everywhere make sure you have GPS, a map and understanding where you are all the time. The Delta is massive and it's looks a lot alike so getting lost is very easy in a boat. Also be aware of boat traffic there are boats and ships of all sizes some are going fast other have big wakes, be safe!

Northeast areas should be better LMB fishing and any slough mouth entering moving River water will have some bass.

Soft plastics like a Senko or any plastic worms Texas rigged in darker colors work at the Delta.

Tom

Congrats on the boat a completely different look now on the delta.  I haven’t spent much time out of Antioch.  I’ve launched a few times out of Big Break area and done ok for  LMB, and usually do better out of there for Stripers  IMO it’s better to go a little more inland to Stockton or Franks Tract or even Disco Bay Area.  I normally launch out of Orwood or Russo’s.  If you’ve never launched before I would pick Orwood.  It’s a pretty large launch area.

You will learn pretty quick the Delta has a lot of fishy looking water, but like most places the fish will congregate to certain areas.  With my boat I’m usually fishing pretty quickly through areas until I find a pattern.  

Thanks for the tips.  I am taking the advice of launching at Orwood and fishing Franks Tract.  I had a 17 foot Valco for years but its been awhile since I have launched a boat.  Dang looks like 30 years, where has time gone!  I know there will be a relearning curve but I hope I catch on quick.   The plan is to go slow and steady and hopefully catch a fish or two while at it.

Hello @DeeGee68, welcome to Bass Resource and the Forums and congrats on the new boat! @cammanis right about Orwood being a big ramp and nice place to launch and you can access the middle river and Disco from there. However, on the weekend Orwood gets very busy with the wakeboard and jet ski crowd. Holland Tract is another option.

If you plan on fishing the Tract DG, I’d suggest dropping in at Russo’s or Sugar Barge. Good luck and good fishing, JB 

Thank you so much for the tips, they are very helpful.  Since this is my first time out I think I am going to launch from Orwood and bounce up and down Old River and maybe dabble a little in Disco Bay.  Just learn the area and the boat and hopefully catch a few as a bonus. 

With that said as any other tips for that area would be appreciated.

I also forgot to mention, tides are key on the delta. I prefer an incoming tide but water movement is key.  If you are out early in Disco bay and see birds working an area, stripers are in.  Get out a jerkbait or topwater and have some fun.