Jump to content
FLAGATOR49

Knot for heavy flurocarbon

Recommended Posts

Appreciate all the responses, how would someone test a knots impact strength aka a hook set? Seems like all the knot tests I find online are done with a steady pull which only measures tensile strength. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, FLAGATOR49 said:

Appreciate all the responses, how would someone test a knots impact strength aka a hook set? Seems like all the knot tests I find online are done with a steady pull which only measures tensile strength. 

With a scale (analog or digital) with a max reading indicator. You can also measure relative knot strength by tying 2 knots on opposite ends of a swivel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BassWhole! said:

With a scale (analog or digital) with a max reading indicator. You can also measure relative knot strength by tying 2 knots on opposite ends of a swivel. 

That makes sense, a scale with a max reading indicator...please share a scale with that feature if you know of one. Right now I'm using car key spilt rings to a snap and swivel then pulling with a scale. I've never broke off from a bass pulling, only on the impact from a hookset. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2019 at 6:19 PM, FLAGATOR49 said:

What knot do you guys use for heavier fluro? This would be a minimum 15lb test all the way up to 30lb. 

I make leaders when I’m fishing around pike with 30 and 40 lb fluorocarbon with a 3-4 turn clinch knot. Never had one slip in many years of tying them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2019 at 9:30 PM, WRB said:

I learned to tie this knot in the 60's, it's simple with any lure that has some weight like a jig or whatever.

1. Put the end of the line through the hook eye, the tag end about a foot long.

2. Hold the top of the loop between your thumb and index finger about 3" long loop.

3. With the lure hanging down wrap the tag end around the loop about 5-6 turns.

4. Put the tag end through the bottom lop opening, then up through the top loop opening.

5. Pull the tag end snug and wet the knot, then pull the main line so the jam knot slides down to the hook eye. Now with the knot wet pull main line until it's tight, clip off the tag end about 1/8" long.

I use a single line loop, no reason to double it.

Tom

PS, tieing to a hook I clip on a cloths pin or hang a jig on the hook for weight.

 

I’m sorry but is that the old fisherman’s not my dad  did. That’s the only knot I know through the eye, wrap 5-7 times, go through the hole above the hook and then through the whole you just made. I always thought that was the clinch knot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Derek1 said:

I’m sorry but is that the old fisherman’s not my dad  did. That’s the only knot I know through the eye, wrap 5-7 times, go through the hole above the hook and then through the whole you just made. I always thought that was the clinch knot. 

Very different then a clinch knot or improved clinched or Trilene knot because the wraps start at the top of the loop and wrap around 2 strands of line. Clinch knots twist the loop then thr tag end is goes through the opening at the hook eye, improved you run the tag end through the upper opening. 

I can see how you could get confused, but look a any knot vedio and it should be clear.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WRB said:

Very different then a clinch knot or improved clinched or Trilene knot because the wraps start at the top of the loop and wrap around 2 strands of line. Clinch knots twist the loop then thr tag end is goes through the opening at the hook eye, improved you run the tag end through the upper opening. 

I can see how you could get confused, but look a any knot vedio and it should be clear.

Tom

I did look after reading this. Thanks for helping me clarify. I just realized how embarrassing I  only do that one knot. But I can do it with my eyes closed. The best knot is the one you know how to tie. That’s pretty week but all I could come up with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Derek1 said:

I did look after reading this. Thanks for helping me clarify. I just realized how embarrassing I  only do that one knot. But I can do it with my eyes closed. The best knot is the one you know how to tie. That’s pretty week but all I could come up with. 

The fishermans knot (clinch knot) is the first knot most us learned to tie.

I called what is now the Palomar* knot the Indian knot because that is what it was called in the 50's. San Diego jam knot was known as the Mexican knot because the long range charter boat crews called it by that name in the 60's, both no longer politically correct names.

Tom

* named after man named Palomar in a knot riding contest in the 80's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2019 at 8:34 PM, A-Jay said:

Pretty sure this one's called the Loadmaster Knot.

Takes a while to learn & half an hour to tie but once you get it - it's the best !

 

depositphotos_120969226-stock-photo-big-knot-mess-of-ropes.jpg

 

If you can't tie a knot - tie a lot.

:smiley:

A-Jay

Looks like my father-in-law’s recent MRI of his GI tract...

 

I think we’ll call this new knot “Diverticulitis..!”

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...