Jump to content
PsTJsT

Daiwa Tatula Bass Spinning Rod 7' M/F

Recommended Posts

Longtime lurker here. First of all, I want to say thanks to everyone who spends time answering questions on these forums and authoring articles on this site. There are some incredibly helpful (and knowledgeable) folks around here.

 

I'm hoping someone can share some insight on how well a current generation Tatula Bass Spinning Rod 7' M/F (TTU701MFS) casts on the low end of it's recommended lure range. It's rated for 1/8 - 3/4 oz and I'm hoping someone has experience throwing true 1/8 oz (or lighter) lures. I've read reviews, watched several "review" videos, and found multiple comments on these forums regarding sensitivity, weight, balance, etc. Unfortunately, I've had absolutely no success tracking down actual user experience regarding their ability to handle light lures.

 

Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't speak to that model, but I do have the 71HF.  Balance is good, but the tip is too stiff for my liking. The Tatulas are great rods, especially for the price, but they are know for being a little stiff in the tip. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much for your insight. Just to confirm, you're referring to the current generation, with the cork split grips, correct? I'd like to confirm because I read the previous generation had very stiff tips but that had changed with the current generation. Additionally, the current generation spinning line doesn't have a heavy power rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PsTJsT said:

Longtime lurker here. First of all, I want to say thanks to everyone who spends time answering questions on these forums and authoring articles on this site. There are some incredibly helpful (and knowledgeable) folks around here.

 

I'm hoping someone can share some insight on how well a current generation Tatula Bass Spinning Rod 7' M/F (TTU701MFS) casts on the low end of it's recommended lure range. It's rated for 1/8 - 3/4 oz and I'm hoping someone has experience throwing true 1/8 oz (or lighter) lures. I've read reviews, watched several "review" videos, and found multiple comments on these forums regarding sensitivity, weight, balance, etc. Unfortunately, I've had absolutely no success tracking down actual user experience regarding their ability to handle light lures.

 

Thanks in advance.

Can't help with that specific rod or any of the G2 Tatula rods, but I had a Zillion G1 7' M/XF casting casting rod and it was pretty true to it's 1/8-5/8oz rating and had a pretty soft tip. I've also had an G1 Tatula 6'9 ML/R and I had problems casting 1/4oz hardbaits, which was on its lower end, for a ML rated rod it felt more like a M. I think the Tatula Elite rods have softer tips than the G1 Tatula and G2 Zillions. I really like the 7' M/MH AGS, and 7'4 H/F AGS frog rod, I sold off some of my Zillions and G1 Tatulas for these.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Tatula 6'6" and 6'8" that are the same rating, M fast 1/8-3/4.

They both do great with an 1/8 jig and trailer. I haven't gone bellow 1/8oz with them.

I'd say the sweet spot on them is 3/16-3/8oz. I have them both set up with shallow spool Tatula LT 3000 reels, and

they are amazingly light, balanced , and sensitive setups.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Junger

Thank you for your insight. Your experience meshes closely with what I've read about the current Tatula Bass tips, that they're more similar to current Tatula Elite tips than original Tatula Bass tips.

 

@waymont

Thank you for sharing your experience. Although I've heard/read nothing but great things about current generation Tatula Bass spinning rods, it seems like I may need to continue my search. I would be using it for creek smallmouth (also with a Tatula LT shallow spool) and many of the more experienced creek smallmouth aficionados around here swear by 1/8 oz inline spinners and Tiny Traps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, PsTJsT said:

@Junger

Thank you for your insight. Your experience meshes closely with what I've read about the current Tatula Bass tips, that they're more similar to current Tatula Elite tips than original Tatula Bass tips.

 

@waymont

Thank you for sharing your experience. Although I've heard/read nothing but great things about current generation Tatula Bass spinning rods, it seems like I may need to continue my search. I would be using it for creek smallmouth (also with a Tatula LT shallow spool) and many of the more experienced creek smallmouth aficionados around here swear by 1/8 oz inline spinners and Tiny Traps.

Take a look at the TAEL701MMHFS (1/16-1/2oz), or even the TAEL610MXS-AGS if you're in tighter quarters. I think both will be true to their ratings based on my experience with the 7' M/MH Tatula Elite. I can throw 1/8oz johnson mino-spins on the 7' M/MH AGS that's rated for 1/8-1oz, with an Alphas SV105.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Tatula Elite ML Fast with a LT2000. I throw Midget cranks like the Jackson Pygmy Vib lure I got on EBay. It’s 3.6 grams, or .12 Oz. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Junger

Thank you for the recommendations. At least on paper, the TAEL701MMHFS seems ideal. I originally was looking at 7' M/F 1/16 - 1/2 oz rated rods with 6 - 12 or 6 - 14 lb line guidelines, particularly the Abu Garcia Ike Signature Finesse 7" M/F (rated for 1/16 - 1/2 oz), but I can get the Tatula Bass rod I referenced for $109 so I kinda was trying to make that fit my needs.

 

I feel foolish for overlooking the TAEL701MMHFS. I glanced at the Tatula Elite rods on the Daiwa website, but I assumed the rods not included in the "Spinning" section were baitcasting rods. I clearly should have paid more attention to the model numbers (and those rods with an "S" that aren't listed in the spinning section).

 

Finally, and please understand I'm fully in touch with the fact medium light/medium/medium heavy/etc. mean different things to different manufacturers, and even different things within a single manufacturer's various model lines, but I may have a mental block regarding a M/MH rod efficiently handling 1/16 oz lures. I take it, based on your experience with the TAEL701MMHXB-AGS, I shouldn't put much stock in the M/MH power designation in the Tatula Elite line when it comes to lure weights. My guess is the Tatula Elite tips are soft enough (and/or the action is a little closer to fast/moderate fast) to facilitate casting the lighter lures even when the backbone is M/MH, correct?     :)

 

Thanks again.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@The Fisher

Thank you for the response. Do you have a TAEL701MLFS? If so, have you had the opportunity to pull in 3+ lb bass with it? Most of the smallmouth in the creeks and small rivers I'd be fishing with this rod are in the 1 - 2 lb range, but 2 - 3 lb isn't rare, and 3 - 4 lb bass wind up on the other end occasionally. So I'm wondering whether that ML rod has given you any problems with hook sets or horsing 3+ lb bass out of grass or away from laydowns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PsTJsT said:

@Junger

Thank you for your insight. Your experience meshes closely with what I've read about the current Tatula Bass tips, that they're more similar to current Tatula Elite tips than original Tatula Bass tips.

 

@waymont

Thank you for sharing your experience. Although I've heard/read nothing but great things about current generation Tatula Bass spinning rods, it seems like I may need to continue my search. I would be using it for creek smallmouth (also with a Tatula LT shallow spool) and many of the more experienced creek smallmouth aficionados around here swear by 1/8 oz inline spinners and Tiny Traps.

That medium Tatula rod is too heavy for creek fishing.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, PsTJsT said:

My guess is the Tatula Elite tips are soft enough (and/or the action is a little closer to fast/moderate fast) to facilitate casting the lighter lures even when the backbone is M/MH, correct? 

The action is fast, for example the bend goes to the third guide from the tip. But, it is soft enough that if you put a 1/2lb weight on the line, it would fully get to the backbone (i.e. third guide) on the Tatula Elite 7' M/MH.

 

Just as an example, compare to a 6'10 G1 Tatula MH/F, it also would bend to the third guide. Except 1/2lb of weight wouldn't get it to the backbone. It would take more force, like 1lb of weight to bend the tip.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, waymont said:

That medium Tatula rod is too heavy for creek fishing.

@waymont

Sorry, not trying to be obtuse, but I'd like to confirm you're referring to the M/F Tatula Bass rod I originally referenced that's rated for 1/8 - 3/4 oz lures (TTU701MFS), correct? Thanks again for all of your insight.     EDIT: Nevermind, I just re-read your comment, it's clear you were referring to the M/F Tatula Bass rod I originally referenced. Thanks again...

1 hour ago, Junger said:

The action is fast, for example the bend goes to the third guide from the tip. But, it is soft enough that if you put a 1/2lb weight on the line, it would fully get to the backbone (i.e. third guide) on the Tatula Elite 7' M/MH.

 

Just as an example, compare to a 6'10 G1 Tatula MH/F, it also would bend to the third guide. Except 1/2lb of weight wouldn't get it to the backbone. It would take more force, like 1lb of weight to bend the tip.

@Junger

Thank you, that's an excellent example/explanation of action/power/tip stiffness. Thanks again for your help.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PsTJsT said:

  I originally was looking at 7' M/F 1/16 - 1/2 oz rated rods with 6 - 12 or 6 - 14 lb line guidelines, particularly the Abu Garcia Ike Signature Finesse 7" M/F (rated for 1/16 - 1/2 oz), but I can get the Tatula Bass rod I referenced for $109 so I kinda was trying to make that fit my needs.

      Regarding the Ike 7' M/F I've got that rod and it's very stiff. You wouldn't want to use it for that application. I use it for dragging 3.5-4" tubes on a 1/4oz jig head for smallies and 3/16oz trigs for largemouth. FWIW I've also got the Ike 6'10" ML and it makes a great dropshot rod with 1/4oz weight. That rod would be better suited for inline spinners and traps in that weight range and I've boated several 3-4# smallmouth no problems.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@stratoliner92

Thanks for the feedback on the 7' M and 6'10" ML Ike rods. It sounds like I may need to consider ML rods. I've been focusing on M action rods because I'll be using it almost exclusively wading and have been thinking I'd need the additional backbone to horse reluctant smallies out of grass, away from laydowns, and against current.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, PsTJsT said:

@The Fisher

Thank you for the response. Do you have a TAEL701MLFS? If so, have you had the opportunity to pull in 3+ lb bass with it? Most of the smallmouth in the creeks and small rivers I'd be fishing with this rod are in the 1 - 2 lb range, but 2 - 3 lb isn't rare, and 3 - 4 lb bass wind up on the other end occasionally. So I'm wondering whether that ML rod has given you any problems with hook sets or horsing 3+ lb bass out of grass or away from laydowns.

Usually 2-2 1/2# is the limit. Bigger ones don’t seem to go after the really light, small lures I throw on it. I have a St Croix legend 6’10” ML XFast for things like Ned rigs and weightless trick worms

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@The Fisher

Thanks for the response. I'm hoping to have the option of effectively using lures as light as 1/8 oz on occasion, but I'm still targeting those 2+ lb smallmouths. Oh well, thanks again for your insight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass

×
×
  • Create New...