Jump to content
Drew03cmc

Replacement trebles

Recommended Posts

I've starting using Mustad KVD Triple Grip Elites on my hard baits. I smash down the barbs because the hook angle seems to hold pretty well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Bassman said:

I've starting using Mustad KVD Triple Grip Elites on my hard baits. I smash down the barbs because the hook angle seems to hold pretty well.

Same here, the Mustad KVD is a great hook.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like round bends for topwater walkers, mainly the ST36 Owners.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've heard the G Finesse trebles in a 6 are ideal, I'm just wondering what else would work. 

 

The KVD angle bothers me on a walking bait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lite wire I use Daiichi Death Traps and heavy wire Gamakatsu round bends or Owner ST36.

 

Allen

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, I believe the rear hook is an 8 ST31 and the belly is a 6 ST31. I hate the tipped in points. They don't hook fish that swipe at a bait all that well. This is also my feeling on the ST41. I'll check out some ST36 in a bit and see if they're a size match for these. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Drew03cmc said:

Guys, I believe the rear hook is an 8 ST31 and the belly is a 6 ST31. I hate the tipped in points. They don't hook fish that swipe at a bait all that well. This is also my feeling on the ST41. I'll check out some ST36 in a bit and see if they're a size match for these. 

What size bass are you targeting with a size 8 treble ?  Seems pretty small.

As for using EWG's on topwater baits - I am a fan and have enough success based confidence in them that I put them on most every walker & popper I fish.  I prefer & use the same trebles I use on my jerkbaits and topwater baits, just match the size to the bait. IMO is many instances manufactures supplied stock trebles are too small.

I up size a decent percentage of the trebles on my topwater baits.  And keep in mind, I'm usually targeting Smallmouth. 

I think of two things whenever I hear a certain style of treble "won't hook a fish that swipes at the bait"  . . .

1) Consider up size the hooks (especially for green bass) and 2) a fish what swipes at a bait often struck in a half-hearten fashion; so they may not have even actually struck at the bait in a manner in which ANY hook would get them.  I say that because when a bass wants a bait, they'll get it; almost regardless of the hook type.

 What makes me a believer in EWG trebles is all about the strength in the design which IMO equates to  More fish actually making into the Frabil after they are hooked.  Big Bass are strong and the ones who choose to go air born add another layer of insanity to the mix. 

   I have also had the opportunity to field test this theory many times over south of the border.  Giant green bass in the 7-9 lb class are often very willing participants in the topwater approach.  (have yet to get a DD on topwater).  Over sized 1x strong and 2x short hooks rule there. Anything else will bend out in short order.

Clearly my chances of getting into a DD brown bass are infinitely small, but using the same approach has put many 5's & 6's in the boat for me. 

So if & when The One comes along, I will not be under gunned.

YMMV

:smiley:

A-Jay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, A-Jay said:

What size bass are you targeting with a size 8 treble ?  Seems pretty small.

As for using EWG's on topwater baits - I am a fan and have enough success based confidence in them that I put them on most every walker & popper I fish.  I prefer & use the same trebles I use on my jerkbaits and topwater baits, just match the size to the bait. IMO is many instances manufactures supplied stock trebles are too small.

I up size a decent percentage of the trebles on my topwater baits.  And keep in mind, I'm usually targeting Smallmouth. 

I think of two things whenever I hear a certain style of treble "won't hook a fish that swipes at the bait"  . . .

1) Consider up size the hooks (especially for green bass) and 2) a fish what swipes at a bait often struck in a half-hearten fashion; so they may not have even actually struck at the bait in a manner in which ANY hook would get them.  I say that because when a bass wants a bait, they'll get it; almost regardless of the hook type.

 What makes me a believer in EWG trebles is all about the strength in the design which IMO equates to  More fish actually making into the Frabil after they are hooked.  Big Bass are strong and the ones who choose to go air born add another layer of insanity to the mix. 

   I have also had the opportunity to field test this theory many times over south of the border.  Giant green bass in the 7-9 lb class are often very willing participants in the topwater approach.  (have yet to get a DD on topwater).  Over sized 1x strong and 2x short hooks rule there. Anything else will bend out in short order.

Clearly my chances of getting into a DD brown bass are infinitely small, but using the same approach has put many 5's & 6's in the boat for me. 

So if & when The One comes along, I will not be under gunned.

YMMV

:smiley:

A-Jay

The Cultiva Zip'n Ziggy came stock with a #8 ST-31 and a #6 ST-31. I put #6 ST-36 on both hangers. It's a 3.25" 1/3oz bait. It seems like it'll work out well with the 36s. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...