your favorite gun

cheezyridr

what is your funnest gun? i don't know if funnest is a word, but i'm gonna go with it. 

what is it that makes it so much fun to shoot? what do you primarily do with it?

my favorite is my mini 14.  i like it because it's uncomplicated, and easy to shoot and clean.  i like the classic look. my eyes aren't what they used to be, so i put a red dot on it that i'll be dialing in today.  it's a range gun for me, i don't hunt with it.  i suppose you could, but i don't think it's what i would choose for hunting. i also put an adjustable gas block on it, so i can keep it from flinging brass into the next county

dMly374.jpg 

• Like 9

• Super User

Don't get out anymore - right hand shooter with a missing right eye...but I've had this little gem for almost 50 years. Was my target rifle when I was in the Junior Small Bore League, hunted rabbit and squirrel with it. Excellent rifle back from when they made them to last.

1952 Savage 6A .22

(pic is not mine, but identical.)

https://images.guns.com/prod/2022/05/12/627d5cc67c26af75fc3a847b4bd892a1ba50070b6ab8c.jpg?imwidth=600

• Like 9

• Super User

Benelli Montrefelto in 12 gauge.  I've had it for 16 years now.  I exclusively use it to hunt pheasants every season and it is an Italian hand-made, perfectly balanced shotgun.  Its extremely light and operates on an inertia-driven system, so the likelihood of jamming or fouling is lower than with a gas-operated autoloader.  Plus its also easier to clean.  Its a rooster-slaying machine every fall and has never failed or misfired.

roosters.jpg

benelli.jpg

• Like 8

• Super User
Just now, GaryH said:

It comes with the grip and the red dot. Best turkey gun I ever owned. 

Here in MN one would need to acquire a handgun permit to buy that since it has a pistol grip.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, gimruis said:

Benelli Montrefelto in 12 gauge.  I've had it for 16 years now.  I exclusively use it to hunt pheasants every season and it is an Italian hand-made, perfectly balanced shotgun.  Its extremely light and operates on an inertia-driven system, so the likelihood of jamming or fouling is lower than with a gas-operated autoloader.  Plus its also easier to clean.  Its a rooster-slaying machine every fall and has never failed or misfired.

roosters.jpg

benelli.jpg

when i was a kid,  i had a secret spot, a big ol' patch of stickers  that was slam full of pheasant. i might not have got one every time, but i'd see some every time for sure. no one can go there now, it's federal property.  you had to really be on your game because if you just winged one, as soon as he hit the ground, he'd change direction and run for all he was worth.  i didn't have a dog, so i had to be pretty selective when shooting. acre after acre of nothing but black briar, and some kind of thorny viney-bushes, some bull reeds and a little tall grass. over time i hacked some trails into it, and you'd have to clear them every year or they'd vanish. the gun i was using is nice, but not as nice as yours. it's an a5. 

last month i bought another one just like it, an early 70's one that i got a sweet deal on.  i'm currently trying to find me another spot for pheasant that's not too far away

NTgF0qy.jpg?1

• Like 8

• Super User
15 minutes ago, cheezyridr said:

i didn't have a dog, so i had to be pretty selective when shooting

I hunted without a dog for a while too.  I just didn't have the means of owning or taking care of one until I had my own house/property.  I still got some birds.  You can still do it, but as you stated, you just have to be more selective on which type of habitat you are hunting.  I primarily stuck to "thinner" habitat that was surrounded by open fields so if one flushed, it generally folded up on open ground.  Hunting spots like cattails or thick brush was basically impossible without a dog.  The stop-and-go method was fairly effective.  The pheasants would get nervous when I stopped walking and then they would flush. Obviously now I just follow my dog.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gimruis said:

Here in MN one would need to acquire a handgun permit to buy that since it has a pistol grip.

That’s stupid and unrealistic. A 28” barrel handgun.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Super User
4 minutes ago, GaryH said:

That’s stupid and unrealistic. A 28” barrel handgun.

Probably kind of unrealistic I agree, but that's how MN defines a "handgun."  Anything that comes with a pistol grip falls under that category (handguns, ARs, pistol grip shotguns, etc).

BTW I have a Benelli Supernova (non pistol grip) in camo that I use for turkeys.  The comfortech recoil system it has really helps soften the blow from a 3.5 inch magnum shell.  I tried shooting a turkey load with my Montrefelto once and it was like shooting a cannon.  That sucked!

• Like 1

Lots of fun guns for different reasons

Browning Citori 725 is fun to shoot clay birds. So easy to swing and little recoil. 
Love the ARs.

Mini 14 is a blast and what a fireball that comes out of it. 
My favorite though is my Glock 19 especially when engaging multiple targets from the draw

• Like 2

• Super User
1 hour ago, cheezyridr said:

last month i bought another one just like it, an early 70's one that i got a sweet deal on.  i'm currently trying to find me another spot for pheasant that's not too far away

That looks pretty close to my Savage/Stevens 775a - 12ga...was my grouse gun until I had to give up hunting.

https://p1.liveauctioneers.com/5173/118753/60741801_1_x.jpg?height=164&quality=70&version=1521313180

• Like 3

How about "favorite" instead of "funnest". ?

Definitely my most cherished: an AYA #2 XXV, a sidelock 12-gauge made in Eibar Spain in the mid-seventies, with 25-in. barrels bored IC and mod.

With it this year in Montana I took three species of grouse, Hungarian partridge and a coiled and buzzing prairie rattler I shot a foot and a half in front of my bird dog.

IMG_1142.jpg

• Like 9

• Super User

That I own for pistol I’d have to say my sig p320 full size 9mm. Been my duty gun for the last year and what I shoot the most and best on my weekly range outings. 

For what rifle is my favorite it’s tough to narrow it down I suppose my great great grandfathers Winchester 69A .22. Nothing fancy just a old bolt action 22 with peep or target sights. 

guns I don’t own but have had the pleasure of shooting my favorite is the M1 thanks to member WW2farmer at the range one day. That or the 240B that I carried my last 2 years in the army that gun was fun and I was surgical with it. 

• Like 3

• Super User

Rifle: Remington Nylon Model 66

Shotgun: Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight

Pistol: : Ruger Three Screw S47 Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum manufactured in 1969

• Like 6

On 10/13/2022 at 12:53 PM, MN Fisher said:

That looks pretty close to my Savage/Stevens 775a - 12ga...was my grouse gun until I had to give up hunting.

https://p1.liveauctioneers.com/5173/118753/60741801_1_x.jpg?height=164&quality=70&version=1521313180

oh man, grouse are good eatin the way my brother cooks them!

On 10/13/2022 at 3:58 PM, scaleface said:

Marlin 99 M1 22 carbine .Had this gun for 45 years . I have other .22s but when I want squirrels its the gun I grab . 

IMG_6932g.JPG

when i was a kid, one of my buddies had a 410/22 that was really cool for squirrels. another kid who went with us would just pick up some rocks.  he'd hit the squirrel with a rock, and if the squirrel hit the ground, he'd run up and stomp on it, then throw it in a back pack.  we used to call him jethro bodine because of that. he was the last guy you wanted on the other team in a snowball fight. he would have made a great pitcher, but he didn't like baseball.

for pistols, mine are pretty run of the mill, nothing special.  the ruger american is the one i like shooting most,  it's a 45.  but i shoot the 9 way better.  it's a springfield xd9m

• Like 1

• Super User
On 10/13/2022 at 2:00 PM, clayton86 said:

That or the 240B that I carried my last 2 years in the army that gun was fun and I was surgical with it. 

One under each arm Rambo style? Brass to the grass, right?...

• Haha 2

They're all fun!

Some funner ones:

Colt SAA .45

CZ-75B w/ .22LR Kadet conversion

Pedersoli 3-band Enfield

Uberti Colt Navy

Customized Ruger 10/22 (heavy barrel, adjustable stock silhouette-type build)

Franchi 48 AL Deluxe in 28ga

TriStar Viper G2 in .410

• Like 1

• Super User

'85 low-wall .22 with Creedmore sights. 

Can hit a dime at 75 yds with a couple of warm-up shots. 

aXSv3S6.jpg

Close second, No. 2 Baby RB in .357 - at barely 5 lbs, you know you're shooting something.  Since it's a single shot, I can load .35 spitzers, flat to 100 yds. 

rwnvDzV.jpg

• Like 10