Andy Taylor

Any Pelican Bass Raider Owners Out There?

On 1/13/2019 at 11:25 AM, Bearsfan67205 said:

Does anyone have any ideas on a rudder for my pelican bass raider ? I would love to set up my troller motor up front instead of in back .  The only problem is without the rudder my boat moves all over the place .

If you balance enough weight to the rear it won’t need one. An extension handle on the trolling motor will help get your body back further 

On 11/26/2018 at 7:19 AM, Murphy S. Law said:

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I was actually able to start working a little on my new raider. I started with cutting 1/4" luan plywood for the floor. I then cut and fit some anti fatigue mats over that, that I bought at Harbor Freight for $7-8. 1 set came up 1/2 a piece short, so I bought 2 sets, and used the rest in my shop. I will prime/paint the luan for water proofing, and after any/all wiring of future mods is complete, I will velcro or double side tape the flooring to secure. I do want to be able to remove it easily when needed though. Cut width of luan was 20", and cut width for mat was 21".

Raider4.JPG.014c9b81f7476667a37245bad9f06588.JPG

That looks great. I’ve wanted to do something like this but nervous wind could get under it during highway trips somehow and fly out. Been thinking of a decent way to secure it

17 minutes ago, Dirt said:

If you balance enough weight to the rear it won’t need one. An extension handle on the trolling motor will help get your body back further 

That looks great. I’ve wanted to do something like this but nervous wind could get under it during highway trips somehow and fly out. Been thinking of a decent way to secure it

Well nuts would do the trick.

35 minutes ago, J Francho said:

Well nuts would do the trick.

That’s what I’ve been leaning towards. They’ve been mostly great for everything else I’ve attached on there

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirt said:

Thanks. I didn't get around to securing it yet, and after taking the raider out for the first time this past Saturday, I really don't know if I will. I had all of my gear, tackle box, chair strapped upside down, carpeted deck, trolling motor and rudder laying in the floor while riding, and it didn't budge with all that stuff on top of it. I will post more pics of what I have accomplished on it so far soon.

3 hours ago, Murphy S. Law said:

Here is my rudder.

83FBDA83-5514-44B9-9776-1BC36526270A.jpeg

Thats a new style trolling motor bracket! Must have been a Motor Guide to give up so soon. Just Kidding, LOL I've been waiting patiently (18years) for my 32lb Minn Kota to die. I really do like the looks of that. I was thinking about buying a new 55lb for the stern and adding a rudder to that. I've noticed if I sit farther back I don't have as many problems with it wandering. I'm in the 270 - 280 lb range, so I can make it pop a wheelie. lol.

Replaced bolts with eye bolts to use bungee cord. This keeps the free swinging arm in place if an obstacle is encountered. Also a pic of a pin with a cotter pin to keep the lever latch on the bracket open to allow the rudder to free swing for obstacles.

09E0080D-C35E-4700-A0E1-EE58BA4CC43F.jpeg

832E9BE3-B0F9-489B-85FD-D3436C11B190.jpeg

• Like 1

I like it even better now! Outstanding Idea. What did you use for the shaft? PVC or did a shaft come with the bracket?

1 hour ago, Hi-Powered Red Neck said:

I like it even better now! Outstanding Idea. What did you use for the shaft? PVC or did a shaft come with the bracket?

3/4” x 30” metal pipe at Lowe’s in the plumbing section. I believe around $13 for this length.

• Like 1

The rudder fin is made from 3 pieces of 8”x10”x1/8” lexan plexiglass sandwiched together with ss bolts, nuts, and washers, and the whole shaft and fin was painted with 3 coats of krylon fusion spray paint. These little things add up. I have around $60 in the rudder assembly total!

BADC5800-01F5-4658-B00C-59ACCF62F8E3.jpeg

My anchor control.

2BE28C57-36F2-4ACC-B3D5-01D2F80F0A6D.jpeg

The trolling motor bracket screws kept trying to slip a little, so I have added skateboard grip tape on the front transom plate. Going to test tomorrow.

5155C800-3236-4BEA-A985-FA274A7EE82B.jpeg

• Like 1

Garmin Striker 4cv. Wiring tbd, and still learning how to read.

AD035496-A09B-4CCC-B561-D27DFE060907.jpeg

Battery for my Garmin, Velcro’d to the tray... perfect fit.

8D7FB08D-7ACA-48AD-9A70-57973BF8DCF1.jpeg

• Like 1

Quick connect Anderson plugs soldered to all battery/tm wiring so I can easily swap the tm to the back if I want.

E008DC1D-A7D9-4DE6-9BBC-3A627FC1E950.jpeg

Also, my front tm plug is so tight getting in and out, this helps.

My emergency paddle.

A53A0448-99E8-44A0-A502-76FBB18FF94B.jpeg

My extendable gaff.

C823E691-C7E0-42DF-AD1F-D9CFA5ACD1F4.jpeg

And finger😋

• Like 1

Note, if I was to start over on the paddle and gaff mounts, I would use something different than the yak gear plastic ones here. They are too tight, they are not durable enough to properly tighten to the boat without cracking the mount itself, and were the biggest pita! I give them a 1 star for poor material/design. But once you drill the holes in your raider, it’s kind of too late to change mounts without doing something with the open holes. I ended up using rubber well nuts, but had to drill out the mount’s holes to fit larger bolts through. Again, BIG pita! They are really made for through hull where you can reach inside to apply nuts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Murphy S. Law said:

The trolling motor bracket screws kept trying to slip a little, so I have added skateboard grip tape on the front transom plate. Going to test tomorrow.

I had the same problem. My solution was a scrap piece of 3/8" ply wood. I cut it the same size as the forward transom plate. I removed the screws and used them to secure the plywood. The Trolling motor clamp opens just wide enough to go over it. And it really bites into the wood. No more trolling motor slippage. When I have to replace the plywood, I'm thinking about a 1/4" on each side. My TM shaft rubs on the rub rail in the fully down position. Its not that bad but sometimes I have to push the locking dogs into place after I've had the motor raised. I normally leave the boat in the water unless I'm pond hopping. I can only fish my little 5 acre pond so much. I work 14 on and 14 off. So when I'm home the raider lives in my truck during the week. I fish while the wife's at work and the boy is in school. When I get home I'll post pics of my build. I just got it for an early Christmas present. My 17' Glasstream already hates it. So much easier to load up and go. I've fished 6 ponds that I've been looking at for years now. Of course out of the six I'd as one was worth a return trip. I'm Chomping at the bit I get home the 23rd. This time home I'm finalizing the floor. I'm thinking of the harbor freight anti fatigue mat over plywood with some gray carpet covering the lot.

I used 2 spring locks on the right side attached them where the boat 1/2`s come together and made a pole out of 3/4 pvc sharpened 1 end filled it with sand made a handle for it like a flats boat push pole...oh I filled the sharp end with in with jb weld....I tie it to the bracket right rear and have had no issues...it kinda works like a power pole Sept way cheaper....if you can't push it in the bottom ot the lake it will at least float..it's 8 foot long....shoulda made it 10 ....if I go deeper I just drift....my g/f occupies the front so not to bad in the wind....hope this helps