Jump to content
Andy Taylor

Any Pelican Bass Raider Owners Out There?

Recommended Posts

What about a yoga mat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, J Francho said:

What about a yoga mat?

That's possible, I guess, but it might be a little clumsy getting it underneath the boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I meant drag the boat across the mat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J Francho said:

What about a yoga mat?

BUT the Harbor Freight antifatigue mats I have in the boat covering the ridges in the floor might now serve a double purpose - I could pull them out and put them under it thanks to your idea. I have the smooth parts up in the boat - I could put them down and slide the boat over the rougher, slicker bottom.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Bassmobile said:

I sure appreciate the link. I have seen that material, but wow - that’s 1/4 to 1/2 the price of the boat itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No problem on the link.  I knew it was expensive but just thought I would throw it out there for you.  I have never used it before, would definitely need to know before purchasing if it would solve the issue.  

What if you made some type of two plank ramp system, maybe out of 2 x 6 boards, that you could back your truck up to the boat ramp and slide into the water out of the back of your truck, kinda like when motorcycles are in the back of a truck.  You could lower and pull it back in the truck with a rope.  Just another idea....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bassmobile said:

No problem on the link.  I knew it was expensive but just thought I would throw it out there for you.  I have never used it before, would definitely need to know before purchasing if it would solve the issue.  

What if you made some type of two plank ramp system, maybe out of 2 x 6 boards, that you could back your truck up to the boat ramp and slide into the water out of the back of your truck, kinda like when motorcycles are in the back of a truck.  You could lower and pull it back in the truck with a rope.  Just another idea....

True. I’m going to try one thing first - I realized I had some big truck weatherstripping in the trash. I’m going to see if Gorilla taping a 12” strip over the back pontoon edges will stay on there a while. It’s at least 3” wide, and if it stays on it’ll be worth fooling with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2019 at 8:38 AM, mrstangblb said:

Could I get 3M 3200 Adhesive to put on some stainless steel strips to bend around the edges to keep from scratching so badly? Or what other recommendations might you have?

I'm not sure where you're trying to launch.  As for myself I avoid the launch ramp. Most of the areas I fish have some grassy or sandy area next to or in the vicinity of the ramp. If that's an option for you, I'd go with that. I keep my Raider in the water at home. However I still take it other places. My property is sloped so getting the boat to the truck is an up hill battle. To overcome that problem I started dragging it up the hill with my riding mower. The bottom for my raider is handling it just fine. It slides easily over the grass with out scratching it up, even with my gear still in it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hi-Powered Red Neck said:

I'm not sure where you're trying to launch.  As for myself I avoid the launch ramp. Most of the areas I fish have some grassy or sandy area next to or in the vicinity of the ramp. If that's an option for you, I'd go with that. I keep my Raider in the water at home. However I still take it other places. My property is sloped so getting the boat to the truck is an up hill battle. To overcome that problem I started dragging it up the hill with my riding mower. The bottom for my raider is handling it just fine. It slides easily over the grass with out scratching it up, even with my gear still in it.  

At Lake Cunningham and Lake Robinson near Greer, SC, the accesses to the landings are concrete and asphalt. I know a fellow that lives on Lake Cunningham, but his back yard is just about straight up. I had a little hard time dragging my kayak through his back yard, so I'd probably have a time sure enough with this boat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2019 at 9:38 AM, mrstangblb said:

Could I get 3M 3200 Adhesive to put on some stainless steel strips to bend around the edges to keep from scratching so badly? Or what other recommendations might you have?

Maybe some roll on rhino liner type of coating you find at big box stores?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Murphy S. Law said:

Maybe some roll on rhino liner type of coating you find at big box stores?

They say that stuff flakes off pretty quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a little off the current topic, but I always thought it would be cool to mount a metal or wire "shelf" to the bottom of the seat where you can store a few Plano boxes for easy access. I almost bought a similar boat and still might and I thought that would be a cool mod.

 

That's all. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dumb question from a new Sun Dolphin Sportsman 8' owner - I bought a Minn Kota C2 40 lb. trolling motor with a 36" shaft to put on the Sportsman. I just looked on the tag that was actually on the boat when I bought it, and it recommends shaft lengths of 42" to 52". Surely I haven't bought the wrong shaft length, right?

 

I haven't even opened the box for the trolling motor yet and haven't measured to see how well it will go on the boat, so I look forward to the expert responses. Thanks as always!

Sun Dolphin Store Information Tag 2019.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mrstangblb said:

Dumb question from a new Sun Dolphin Sportsman 8' owner - I bought a Minn Kota C2 40 lb. trolling motor with a 36" shaft to put on the Sportsman. I just looked on the tag that was actually on the boat when I bought it, and it recommends shaft lengths of 42" to 52". Surely I haven't bought the wrong shaft length, right?

 

I haven't even opened the box for the trolling motor yet and haven't measured to see how well it will go on the boat, so I look forward to the expert responses. Thanks as always!

I see in the manual 36" is correct. Sorry about that.

2 minutes ago, mrstangblb said:

I see in the manual 36" is correct. Sorry about that.

But I do plan to put the trolling motor in the back of the boat where the plate is instead of the front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And dang - titling a 4' x 8'-7" 100 lb. plastic boat is harder to do here in South Carolina than titling a car! Unbelievable how complicated filling out everything is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for this thread and all the great ideas! Usually fish alone and got the 10e because people want to go fishing but you know.... Back of truck hauling and I am over 50 so trying to keep it light. Saw many add wood floors but think I am going to use these instead. I can always use the wood later under it in a module design if necessary.

 

 Any input, experiences etc. Just want to make sure the 1 inch causes no problems etc.  Cant wait to get out on the water, 100 acre lake few miles away.

 

My other question would be the dolly. Was gonna make it simple since I can load off grass by waters edge most lakes here but also saw some say theirs (dolly) was too short (height)? I had planned on 10" castors from HF and 2x10 with eyebolts to strap. Any advice, suggestion are welcome.

 

TIA

 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BXRC38F/?coliid=I166TWS4C7TD5I&colid=ZZ24JLUGVUUS&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, CrappyMan said:

Thanks for this thread and all the great ideas! Usually fish alone and got the 10e because people want to go fishing but you know.... Back of truck hauling and I am over 50 so trying to keep it light. Saw many add wood floors but think I am going to use these instead. I can always use the wood later under it in a module design if necessary.

 

 Any input, experiences etc. Just want to make sure the 1 inch causes no problems etc.  Cant wait to get out on the water, 100 acre lake few miles away.

 

My other question would be the dolly. Was gonna make it simple since I can load off grass by waters edge most lakes here but also saw some say theirs (dolly) was too short (height)? I had planned on 10" castors from HF and 2x10 with eyebolts to strap. Any advice, suggestion are welcome.

 

TIA

 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BXRC38F/?coliid=I166TWS4C7TD5I&colid=ZZ24JLUGVUUS&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it. 

I got the Harbor Freight floor tiles for $7.99 - 20% the other day and they’re great!:

 

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-94635.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, mrstangblb said:

And dang - titling a 4' x 8'-7" 100 lb. plastic boat is harder to do here in South Carolina than titling a car! Unbelievable how complicated filling out everything is.

Come on up to NY.  Heh...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, J Francho said:

Come on up to NY.  Heh...

It is a nightmare. Especially if you buy one second hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or doesn't have a hull ID.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019 at 9:13 AM, J Francho said:

Come on up to NY.  Heh...

I feel sorry for y’all for more than just  boat titling. 😋 My stepsister and her husband moved out of Highland Mills last year to NC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...