BassForecast question

Justbass11

How many of you use Bass forecast or the equivalent and if you do and it says it’s a poor fishing day, do you still go? I know me I’ll still go because a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of working. Anyway, all replies I appreciate. Have a blessed day.

• Like 1

• Super User

I have and use the free version of bass forecast just so I can look at the rating for the day I go out, purely hoping I have a good day when it says it’s supposed to be bad so I can call the app stupid

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Super User

When do I think I may have a better day? When it is breezy but less than 15mph, wind from the predominant (prevailing) direction, and either stable, prefrontal, or limited visibility/uncomfortable conditions

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Greetings All,

@Darnold335 and I share a similar perspective. I do what I can to keep it simple and to maximize recreation. Yeah, the only thing I reference is the national weather service to get an idea of the local / regional weather / and aviation forcasts to figure out my approach. If it is too windy then I'm going to be fishing from the shore. Otherwise I'll consider using the kayak.

My gear is usually similar. The main difference is the amount of gear. Using the kayak I'll have about four rigs handy. Strolling about usually just two rigs.

Good luck and I hope our shared information helps in some way to facilitate the angling adventures.

• Like 2

I have and use the Bass Forecast app.  I go fishing no matter what.  No app can predict a living thing.  I do use it to try develop a loose plan of attack for fishing those conditions.  I also do use it to see the major and minor times.  I also don’t do anything solely using them, but try to hit the best likely spots at those times.  
I have looked at Jonny Schultz’s Deep Dive app as well.  I am just not interested in spending that kind of money for 6 months of use in MN.  That app looks intriguing though.  

• Like 1

I still have it on my phone but have threatened to delete it many times - it has created false hope too often 

ive gone fishing on “EPIC” rated days and been skunked and done very well on “fair” rated days 

So I use it for Major / Minor times but don’t give a lot of credence to the rating  

• Like 2

I follow the barometer most of the time, some exceptions. The exceptions are whenever I feel like it. I'm not gonna sit here and disparage the people who work hard on apps like that and most of the weather ones. But I don't need/want/use them

• Like 1

I used the Bass Forecast app years ago when it first came out and most of it was free.  But, I didn't see the value in paying for features they started charging for and stopped using it.  I have the Fish Angler app now and will check it as I plan for a trip.  It provides major/minor feeding times and weather features that I find to be pretty user-friendly.  Like most who have replied, I don't use it to decide if I'm going fishing...only to provide information to use when I go fishing.  The app also has a social/mapping feature where users can post pictures of fish they catch and details on the catch, including where on a particular body of water.  

• Like 1

I still use the Farmer's Almanac and my State's feeding times and moon phases and fishing reports. Local weather ... wind, overcast?,  Fronts. Barometer. Most of my fishing is in the morning hours. I try to avoid Bluebird days. 

When fishing brackish water want to know the high and low tide.

See it as another tool in the toolbox.

I have and use it, but not to determine when I go fishing.  I use it mostly to form a game plan prior to heading out.  If he app indicates fishing will be tough, I rig up for finesse applications. If the fish prove to be active (I've only had this happen once since using the app), I can always switch up. If I were to rig for faster presentations, I may catch a few, but I go with the app and the barometer.

• Super User

I don’t like the sun overhead or a full moon overhead during the day time.

I prefer low light during the day and sun close to the horizon and a new and full moon +/-2 days overhead at night during the spawn cycle and summer periods.

Don’t need or look at Solunar tables or forecasted active periods, got to be in the water to determine that.

Tom

PS, I have published my Cosmic Clock and Bass Calendar baes on sun and moon phases...Google it!

• Like 1

• Super User
19 hours ago, Dan Strain said:

So I use it for Major / Minor times but don’t give a lot of credence to the rating  

I try to be muskie fishing during one of these windows every time I got but I really haven’t noticed much of a pattern. Local weather conditions seem to play a much bigger role.

On 9/22/2023 at 6:40 PM, Justbass11 said:

How many of you use Bass forecast or the equivalent and if you do and it says it’s a poor fishing day, do you still go? I know me I’ll still go because a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of working. Anyway, all replies I appreciate. Have a blessed day.

I use Bass Forecast quite a bit. Keep in mind, it is just a tool for suggestions. What I've noticed with it, is it seems to be "fast retrieve" centric. What it rates as an "epic" day is where the bass are super responsive and they'll clamp down on things that are medium to fast retrieve. The "Poor" days it leans more towards finesse. 

The reason I point out "fast retrieve" centric is because I'm primarily a finesse guy. I fish a wacky rig year round and get results, I'll shift over to a Ned rig or Texas rig if necessary, and I'll use a soft swimbait for medium to fast retrieves. I've just recently started messing with spinner and buzz baits again. All that being said, "epic" days on the app seem to point to faster retrieved lures. 

When I first started using the app, I would follow what it was suggesting and not get bit. One day I emailed the developers and gave them a piece of my mind. They told me that the app was just there to increase my chances, and give me suggestions on what to use, but not to follow it to the T, and blame them for getting skunked lol. 

For my home lake, I've caught a lot of bass when it said it was a "poor" day, and I've gotten skunked on "epic" days. What I do like to use it for is its solunar predictions. When I'm not getting bit, I'll see what its suggesting and rig up one of my rods with something it suggests. Does it work? Not a lot of the time. However if I'm not getting bit, it lends a little bit of insight as to why. 

Still it boils down to location, timing, and am I tossing out what the bass want to bite on. IMO, its a decent app, but other than its major/minor times, and it tends to miss the mark a bit. When I first started bass fishing again a couple of years ago, I'd check it religiously and use it as a baseline. But now, since I have a lot of my habits in place, I tend to check it every now and then but take it for a grain of salt. 

Bottom line, I'd rather have a bad day fishing... at least I was out on the water instead of being cooped up in the house complaining about not going. Does the app help? Sometimes yes, sometimes no, but gives you a good baseline. I wouldn't put too much stock into it as far as dictating if you go fish or not.... 

I have and look at the app all the time. It has general suggestions for making a starting point to fish. However I have had some of my best days when it says that day is supposed to be poor.