NonPro YouTube Recommendations

• Super User
On 2/6/2024 at 4:15 PM, Bluegillslayer said:

More for the younger generation, I enjoy these guys the most.

Ap bassin

Jon B

Uncut Angling

Uncut is funny and skilled.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 8:48 AM, Standard said:

I do like Greg Blanchard but man his fishing style gives me anxiety sometimes, especially when he cuts a bunch of his casts together.  Like, slow down dude!

I enjoy Greg's videos too, but don't care for those back-to-back-back-to-back-back-to-back-back-to-back quickfire cast segments because they make me feel anxious too. He's not the only fishing content creator doing it. While I don't propose telling him how to edit his content, I will say that I think he does for an artistic way to let us know that time has passed, or maybe he intends for it to provoke anxiety, However, for me, a simple fade in/fade out transition would accomplish the same thing less the part of it making me feel anxious. I would even prefer the classic SBSP "two hours later" GIF complete with cheesy French accent, but that's just me. 

I watch a wide variety of bass fishing content. One channel I haven't seen mentioned here is Marling Baits. He fishes for a variety of species with baits he makes himself, mostly hard baits and mostly baits I would consider targeted at catching bass. He regularly makes detailed replicas of bait fish that exist, but also produces baits that are like bugs, monsters of his won design, or even things like an airplane, or even the Grinch walking topwater bait he made recently. I especially enjoy his 'One Day Build to Catch' videos and the ones where he simply takes the tools and materials with him to the place where he fishes and makes a bait from something he finds at the site, usually driftwood or a chunk of bark from the bank, and then proceeds to fish with it successfully all in the same day. Even if it isn't a one-day project, he almost always includes footage of him fishing with it along with all of the details of how a project like that might unfold. 

• Like 3

• Super User
48 minutes ago, Brian11719 said:
  • BassFishingHQ
  • Steve Rogers Outdoors
  • Blue Line Fishing

These are 3 that are run by folks that aren't pros that I enjoy and find useful.

HQ - is run by Tyler Berger who's been fishing Bass Master Opens for a few years - So Pro

Steve Rogers fished the Opens in 2004-2005 - so former Pro.

I love Steve's short format vids - lots of information without taking a lot of time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2024 at 5:03 PM, MN Fisher said:

Steve Rogers fished the Opens in 2004-2005 - so former Pro.

But.... not a pro haha, at least he doesn't have a dog in the fight presently is the point

On 2/9/2024 at 2:15 PM, Big Hands said:

SBSP

Tell me you grew up with me without saying I'm around the same age as you haha... but I'll day I think both have their place.

I forget the show/channel but the count the casts in the top corner - this show has been great at times. Especially considering the upfrontness of how many casts have been made.

@ALL Appreciate the recommendations, I'm excited for a deep dive

• Like 1

I enjoy Greg's videos too, but don't care for those back-to-back-back-to-back-back-to-back-back-to-back quickfire cast segments because they make me feel anxious too.

Man, I thought it was just me! Another thing he does when editing his vids, he makes the frames flicker, some kind of jerky time distortion trick, flick, flick and flick and flick and flick, so annoying, annoying enough that I actually responded to him and suggested to "please quit trying to make everything so dizzy and anxious!" My exact words. 

• Like 1

• Super User

Dersch is a little leaguer and has a strange delivery, but he's got game and spends time editing his videos. Plus, he fishes some cold water and out-of-the-way places and I enjoy those videos.

e back-to-back-back-to-back-back-to-back-back-to-back quickfire cast segments

I actually appreciate that kind of editing, for it shows how many casts between fish.

• Like 1

Based on some of the suggestions here I have started to watch Old Lady Angler (I am not a kayak angler yet really enjoy her approach/passion)....as well as spending a bit of time exploring Tactical Bassin' and Bass Geek

On 2/5/2024 at 10:51 AM, Skunkmaster-k said:

Richard Gene the fishing machine. 

everyone i watch who isn't a pro,  was mentioned already,  but i just wanted to say, i love watching this channel.  i would watch him if he wasn't fishing, cause he's just a cool guy.

also someone mentioned brian latimer.  he's a pro, but when i watch his channel, it's not for the fishing.  i watch when he's doin stuff with his kids, because he's an awesome dad,  and that's what i like most about him

• Like 3

• BassResource.com Administrator

So...does everybody think I'm a pro, or they just don't like my videos? LOL Asking for a friend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Super User

I'll toss ReelNorthernBass on the table.  Sean's an engineer and his partner, Andrew, works at a NH boat shop.  Their videos teach in an easy to understand way.  They stream live on Wednesday nights (2000 hours, EST).  Their live stream sometimes goes off the subject, but it's entertaining.

• Global Moderator
15 minutes ago, Glenn said:

So...does everybody think I'm a pro, or they just don't like my videos? LOL Asking for a friend.

Just look at the jersey man! All pro selection 22 yrs straight 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cheezyridr said:

also someone mentioned brian latimer.  he's a pro, but when i watch his channel, it's not for the fishing.  i watch when he's doin stuff with his kids, because he's an awesome dad,  and that's what i like most about him

I like to watch him interact with his sons too. The littlest one especially. 

• Like 1

@Glenn:  In my opinion you don’t count.  Definitely in a class by yourself!!  Quality of production and info (not to mention breadth and depth of content) has been a constant source of info for me since I joined in 2017.  So, nope!  No comparison. Sorry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Glenn said:

I do consider you a 'pro', but not in the same sense as folks like Scott Martin, Kyle Welcher, Todd Castledine, Mike Iaconelli, etc. and I think that is the spirit in which the OP's question was posed. I think. . . . but I could be mistaken.

• Thanks 1

• Super User
22 hours ago, Glenn said:

Of course, you're a pro, but if you're looking for feedback, here's what I like about your videos:

1. You respect your audience by getting to the teaching. I watch videos to learn, not to watch snazzy intros, to listen to music, or to be misled by a title. I never have to skip ahead in your videos, Glenn. Everything is on-point.

2. Speaking of teaching, you're a good teacher. You tell us what we're going to learn, you teach us, and you linger on the key points so we're less likely to forget.

3. You're personable. Effective teachers need stage presence and you have it.

4. Your video catalog is huge. You have made so many videos that one can learn pert near everything from you. 

5. You include just enough fish-catching moments to punctuate your points.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• BassResource.com Administrator

Thank you @ol'crickety You're very kind.  I appreciate the thoughtful feedback. I just make videos that I would like to see, and hope it resonates with people.

Truth be told, I wasn't fishing for compliments.  It's just that there have been quite a few "What Youtube channel do you like?" threads in recent memory, and it seems dang near every channel is eventually mentioned, but very rarely is Bassresource mentioned.  After awhile, you begin to wonder why you didn't make the list.

That said, I realize it's impossible to make everyone's "list".  There's just no way to appeal to everyone. Trust me, I have plenty of armchair critics in the Youtube comment section! LOL!

• Super User

Obviously Tactical Bassin' is up there. I really like Mikey Balzz. Entertaining...catches some big ones. But also informative. 

Off-topic, but I'm looking forward to KVD growing his channel now that he has more downtime. 

• Like 1