Best chatterbait line

Jackhammers are out of my price range and I’ve not had as good luck with the original zmans so I’m wondering what zman line I should go with. The project z, the elite Evo, or the custom? What are the pros and cons of those?

Siebert Outdoors Fogy.   I catch a bunch of Bass on them.  Something is "different" about them.  I usually snag and lose a Chatter Bait, or Jack Hammer within my first 10 casts.  These make it through cover really good.  

https://siebertoutdoors.com/products/ols/products/grid-iron-g2-mata-jig

You probably already know, Seibert Outdoors is a Bass Resource sponsor.

• Like 3

• Super User

Before I started making my own, which happened pre jackhammer, the elite was my favorite. Good quality upgrades from the original without breaking the bank. 

• Like 1

• Super User

I like the original elites too. Over the years I’ve bought some jackhammers when they are on discount, so I have both.

I bought a couple elite evos this past winter and used one the other day. Didn’t catch a fish on it.

I like the thunder cricket and the evo. The jackhammer is ok but honestly I can't see much of a difference and not enough to justify paying that much more for one. I caught my pb on a simple green pumpkin thunder cricket with a green pumpkin rage bug. Can confirm they work plus when they go on clearance at academy you can get them for like $3. The evo is another good one and I probably couldn't tell you if I was fishing that or a jackhammer if you blind folded me and asked.

• Super User

I fished the evo and the jackhammer side by side for a while the past couple trips. They fish basically the same. Outside of colors, I don’t see an advantage for the jackhammer. 

that said, the sieberts tremor fishes just the same for me. And I’ve caught a bunch of fish on them. And they are a couple bucks cheaper. And a board sponsor. Mikes a great guy and the hooks on his tremors and jigs are the best I’ve seen on a bait. 

• Super User
1 hour ago, Brian11719 said:

when they go on clearance at academy you can get them for like $3.

3 bucks for a thunder cricket? I got a couple for about 7 bucks each and I thought that was a steal. Guess not.

I like the project for grass, the head clears a little better than the arkie style.  For an all purpose the arkie style head is a little more versatile IMO.  I love the customs, especially early in the year, when I fish them on the bottom.  I can thin the skirt and with the short shank 4/0 I can get that bait really compact.  The crosseyes is good 2, got a good hook and the weedguard makes them a little more snag resistant.  The elites are good, but the keeper isnt as effective as the newer designs, especially with elaztech.  Havent tried the EVO, but I like the option of the painted blades.

Sibert Fogy and Tremor are just as good as anything from Zman, just for 1/2-1/3 of the price.

I like how he lets us chose if we want a wire tied skirt or not, i like tying my own and its so much easier to just take the ones that come off and use another time.

But for Zman the Jackhammer is their best in their line, the Elite Evo is a great budget version of it tho, just make sure the eye on them isnt open or youll just be reeling in the blade.

Great colors, attention to detail, and trailer keeper.

Mini Max is good for a more finesse presentation, but is extremely over rated. $8 for a basic blade that rusts extremely easy and snaps that are prone to not being able to hold up for long.

If you can get them on sale they are nice.

And for Strike King, this is one not many people use or buy, the Rage Blade. Very odd shape and profile but i really like fishing them. Heard the Thunder Crickets are good too also.

If you fish alot of waters with pike or pickerel the Original Chatterbaits do just fine, and they go on sale quite a bit between $3-4.

When it comes to Chatterbaits/bladed jigs it can become very overwhelming, so many different choices, sizes, colors, weights, blade shape/color, it gets expensive very fast. And if you buy alot of them youll probably only use a select few over the rest.

The basics are all thats needed till you figure out what works or doesnt work where you are fishing. - (Source) A man that has 70 Chatterbaits/bladed jigs but will only chose to fish 10 of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MediumMouthBass said:

Sibert Fogy and Tremor are just as good as anything from Zman, just for 1/2-1/3 of the price.

I like how he lets us chose if we want a wire tied skirt or not, i like tying my own and its so much easier to just take the ones that come off and use another time.

But for Zman the Jackhammer is their best in their line, the Elite Evo is a great budget version of it tho, just make sure the eye on them isnt open or youll just be reeling in the blade.

Great colors, attention to detail, and trailer keeper.

Mini Max is good for a more finesse presentation, but is extremely over rated. $8 for a basic blade that rusts extremely easy and snaps that are prone to not being able to hold up for long.

If you can get them on sale they are nice.

And for Strike King, this is one not many people use or buy, the Rage Blade. Very odd shape and profile but i really like fishing them. Heard the Thunder Crickets are good too also.

If you fish alot of waters with pike or pickerel the Original Chatterbaits do just fine, and they go on sale quite a bit between $3-4.

When it comes to Chatterbaits/bladed jigs it can become very overwhelming, so many different choices, sizes, colors, weights, blade shape/color, it gets expensive very fast. And if you buy alot of them youll probably only use a select few over the rest.

The basics are all thats needed till you figure out what works or doesnt work where you are fishing. - (Source) A man that has 70 Chatterbaits/bladed jigs but will only chose to fish 10 of them.

What are the 10 that you regularly use?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, August said:

What are the 10 that you regularly use?

2 Jackhammers (when im fishing waters without pike/pickerel).

2 Elite Evos (when im fishing waters without pike/pickerel).

2 Fogys and 2 Tremors, both of these 2 types are for when i want to fish a Jackhammer but my wallet reminds me theres pike/pickerel in the lake im fishing.

2 Original Chatterbaits (for the places where its 80% pike/pickerel)

But how i will chose a chatterbait/bladed jig really depends on the color i think the bass will bite that day, the 4 from Zman and 4 from Siebert will all be different colors. I like them all the same, but my bank account does prefer some over the others.

18 hours ago, Woody B said:

Siebert Outdoors Fogy.   I catch a bunch of Bass on them.  Something is "different" about them.  I usually snag and lose a Chatter Bait, or Jack Hammer within my first 10 casts.  These make it through cover really good.  

https://siebertoutdoors.com/products/ols/products/grid-iron-g2-mata-jig

You probably already know, Seibert Outdoors is a Bass Resource sponsor.

I soooooo wish they made one in Minimax size...

• Like 1

• Super User

When I they are available and maybe once a year, I order about 5 Jackhammers at a time from Japan  with whatever I order I place. They are usually around $8-10 a piece so not too bad. A good substitute is the Evo but for whatever reason, I still have the best luck with the Jackhammer. 

13 hours ago, gimruis said:

3 bucks for a thunder cricket? I got a couple for about 7 bucks each and I thought that was a steal. Guess not.

Doesn't seem to happen often and seems to be towards the end / start of the year but Academy had them on clearance so they were marked down to 9.97...then they had 75% off all clearance stuff. When I went to the register they charged me $3 ea. Probably should have grabbed more when I could have but either way I'd argue it's worth checking the Academy clearance bin around that time and especially if they have another sale on stuff that's already on clearance...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MediumMouthBass said:

2 Jackhammers (when im fishing waters without pike/pickerel).

2 Elite Evos (when im fishing waters without pike/pickerel).

2 Fogys and 2 Tremors, both of these 2 types are for when i want to fish a Jackhammer but my wallet reminds me theres pike/pickerel in the lake im fishing.

2 Original Chatterbaits (for the places where its 80% pike/pickerel)

But how i will chose a chatterbait/bladed jig really depends on the color i think the bass will bite that day, the 4 from Zman and 4 from Siebert will all be different colors. I like them all the same, but my bank account does prefer some over the others.

What weight and color are your favorites for the fogys and tremors?

9 hours ago, RRocket said:

I soooooo wish they made one in Minimax size...

There was a post by Siebert a few weeks ago i asked if he planned on making one, his reply "Once I find a smaller blade I plan on it".

5 hours ago, August said:

80% of mine are 1/2oz, some of my Tremors tho are 3/4-1oz just for deeper water.

Colors are black and blue, green pumpkin, white or bluegill flash if you are trying to imitate crappies, white and chartreuse or dirty shad for some color, and from Zman ill get similar colors but with a different color blade, its interesting how sometimes even in my best producing color the bass wont bite just because its a silver blade or gold blade. Siebert and Zman both offer different color blades, some days a flashy blade works, others its a black one.

But the thing with Zman i dont like is the skirts are wire tied, its not difficult to cut it off but if doing a few dozen it takes alot of time, where the Sieberts i just pull the skirt that comes with it off and put my own ones i tied on. I really like tying my own, especially in rainbow trout imitating colors.

16 minutes ago, MediumMouthBass said:

There was a post by Siebert a few weeks ago i asked if he planned on making one, his reply "Once I find a smaller blade I plan on it".

Dicks is doing buy 3 get 3 on zman right now. Their base price for the jackhammer sucks at $19.99 but with the sale $10 each is cheaper than TW current %20 sale.

22 minutes ago, MediumMouthBass said:

He said the same to me over a year ago, so I'm not sure how serious he is as I bought some smaller blades online.

But here's to hoping as I really like his stuff and the endless color combos! 

I'd likely never throw another Minimax..

• Super User
23 hours ago, August said:

I primarily fish 1/2 oz across the board, but there are a few occasions where I want a 3/8 so I carry a couple.  I also carry 3/4 and 1 oz but I don't hardly throw them.

For color, pick your favorite green pumpkin variation for a bluegill pattern, grab a black and blue for dirty water and lower light, and if shad are important on your waters grab one of the white variants.  For me specifically, every time I've ordered from Mike I've picked a new bluegill variation just because I like new things.  Blue craw and kent's craw are my usuals (one has brown, the other doesn't).  Dirty shad and mud shad are my 'I can't decide' colors when I've got bluegill and shad in a lake.

• Super User
On 5/26/2024 at 1:17 PM, August said:

I’m wondering what zman line I should go with. The project z,

I have every type of Zman chatterbait. Even some Thunder Crickets. None of those have come close to how productive both the standard Project Z and the Project Z Weedless have been for me. Around here, everyone and their brother throws standard chatters. The head design allows for the blade to impact it, which makes a pronounced "click". My Jackhammers have grooves cut into them from the blade.

The Head of the Project doesn't allow for that, so it sounds different. Often, different is good. It has been for me. Also, some lakes don't like loud baits. Clicks, rattles, etc.

Grab the EVO or some Siebert's, and for sure grab both versions of the Z. If nothing else, you'll be able to put the Project Z Weedless painlessly into places no other bladed jig can go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PhishLI said:

I have every type of Zman chatterbait. Even some Thunder Crickets. None of those have come close to how productive both the standard Project Z and the Project Z Weedless have been for me. Around here, everyone and their brother throws standard chatters. The head design allows for the blade to impact it, which makes a pronounced "click". My Jackhammers have grooves cut into them from the blade.

The Head of the Project doesn't allow for that, so it sounds different. Often, different is good. It has been for me. Also, some lakes don't like loud baits. Clicks, rattles, etc.

Grab the EVO or some Siebert's, and for sure grab both versions of the Z. If nothing else, you'll be able to put the Project Z Weedless painlessly into places no other bladed jig can go.

Have you noticed any difference with the hookup ratio on the weedless ones?

Do you trim the guard back a bit?