Best chatterbait line

• Super User

EVO, Stealth, and Minimax are all amazing baits. I never buy the OG Jackhammer anymore

• Super User
5 hours ago, August said:

Have you noticed any difference with the hookup ratio on the weedless ones?

Do you trim the guard back a bit?

Nope and nope.

• Like 1

• Super User

Another vote for the Siebert Fogy and it doesn’t require special Chatterbait line or a dedicated Chatterbait rod.  😆

• Super User

I read this thread the other day and was very close to giving my endorsement of the new EVO chatterbaits.......I've caught about 50-75 fish on them the last few weeks.

I had one fail a few nights ago at the blade to jighead connection.    The blade wasn't even cracked so the eye on the jighead must have failed.   

I had a blade fail on the Project Z weedless model but the blade cracked and pulled free of the jighead.  This one was different.    Gives me the willies now.  

Sucks too because for all practical purposes it's the same as a Jackhammer only with a fraction of a second slower start up, but with SIGNIFICANTLY better finish on the blades.   I have no idea why Zman won't put more durable finishes on the Jackhammers.   Within 20 casts the blades are already chipping paint.  

• Like 1

• Super User
15 minutes ago, AlabamaSpothunter said:

but with SIGNIFICANTLY better finish on the blades.   I have no idea why Zman won't put more durable finishes on the Jackhammers.   Within 20 casts the blades are already chipping paint.  

I posted this in another thread but I noticed a fairly significant difference in catch rate when I was smallmouth fishing about 10 days ago using both.

The jackhammer I was using had a gold blade (non painted) while the evo I was using had a painted blade.  Same trailer, same retrieve, very similar skirt color.  I caught three sizable smallmouth on the jackhammer and none on the evo.

The only item I can gather is the gold blade vs the dull/painted blade.  It was cloudy and choppy and I think the light reflection off the gold blade was drawing the fish in.

• Like 1

• Super User
3 hours ago, gimruis said:

The only item I can gather is the gold blade vs the dull/painted blade.  It was cloudy and choppy and I think the light reflection off the gold blade was drawing the fish in.

That's the kind of thing that can change day by day.

4 hours ago, AlabamaSpothunter said:

I read this thread the other day and was very close to giving my endorsement of the new EVO chatterbaits.......I've caught about 50-75 fish on them the last few weeks.

I had one fail a few nights ago at the blade to jighead connection.    The blade wasn't even cracked so the eye on the jighead must have failed.   

I had a blade fail on the Project Z weedless model but the blade cracked and pulled free of the jighead.  This one was different.    Gives me the willies now.  

Sucks too because for all practical purposes it's the same as a Jackhammer only with a fraction of a second slower start up, but with SIGNIFICANTLY better finish on the blades.   I have no idea why Zman won't put more durable finishes on the Jackhammers.   Within 20 casts the blades are already chipping paint.  

I wouldn't stress it. I have about 50 bass and pike on two different EVO's with no issues

• Like 2

• Super User
2 hours ago, waymont said:

That's the kind of thing that can change day by day.

Perhaps. But being that I was able to control every single variable and the result was jackhammer 3, evo 0, the score is currently favoring the JH.

I need a bigger sample size, I will admit that.

• Like 1

• Super User

The best Chatter Bait line ? Anything but braid unless you have a really soft rod tip or you will yank a chatter bait out of the bass's mouth . Mono , Co-Poly and FC line have more stretch thus allowing a chatter bait to get well into a basses's mouth before setting the hook ... As for your other question - I have a fondness for the Z-Man Evo , the Strike King Thunder Cricket and the Seibert Foggy .

I'm a fan of Jackhammers, Minimax, and now the Elite Evo.  I trailer them all with Razor Shadz or the smaller size of the Kamikaze Swimon for the Minimax.

I have been unimpressed by the Z-Man Chatterspike, for the record.  It just isn't the deal for me.

Been fishing chatterbaits more than any other hard bait for three years now. I have absolutely no explanation whatsoever as to why but the bass in the lakes I fish most just absolutely love CBs.

Tired all the following in 1/4oz, 3/8oz and 1/2 oz if sold as such

Tried the Original Z-Man CB 

The Z-Man Jackhammer

Z-Man 1/4oz minimax chatter

The now discontinued Cabela's/BPS CB with the oval shaped blade

The new version of the Cabela's/BPS chatterbait

The Slobberknocker

The Z-Man Stealth CB 1/4oz

Used 15lb Y0-Zuri copolymer on a 7:1 or 8:1 baitcasting reel using a 7' MH Uglystick Elite rod for all regular CB's 

And my 7" Daiwa Tatula MHF spinning rod and 10lb Y-CP for my 1/4oz Stealth 

I did my best to fish all chatterbait types and sizes equal amounts of times but after a while you learn to use which ones work best.

Hands down without question in all lakes I have fished in IN (homes state) IL and OH the bass much prefered 3/8oz CB's over all others accounting for (best honest guess) approximately 60% of my bass caught on CBs. 1/4oz CBs accounted for approximately 30% of my bass caught on CBs. 1/2oz CB's catch so few bass I no longer use them.

Chatterbait that has worked the best for me again hands down was the original Z-Man CB regardless of size. The one that works second best is the newer made by Z-Man for BPS BPS/XPS chatterbait again in 3/8oz. I literally fished the living heck out of the Slobberknocker never caught a fish using three different colors and used both trailers with and without tails.

Of my 1/4oz chatterbaits the MiniMax clearly out caught the stealth model.

Oddly my experiences with trailers runs counter to popular opinion. The one trailer I use that absolutely no doubt in my mind whatsoever made a significant improvement in the number of hits I get on all my CB's regardless of size or color was been using 4" Keitech Easy Shiner swimbait on my 3/8 and 1/4oz chatterbaits with a standard sized blade and the 3" Keitech Easy Shiner Swimbait of my MiniMax and 3" and 4" KESS with my Willowcahtters.

Prior to changing to the KESS I was using straight tailed trailers like the Hog Farmer Spunk Shad and yes catching good numbers of bass. But BPS had the Keitech ESSon sale this year so I bought a pack of 3" and 4" in various colors I felt worked with my CB's. While fishing a very hot chatterbait bass bite on one of my best bass lakes in early April my son lost his 3/8ox WHT/CHART Z-Man CB. I went to rigg him a new one discovered only trailer I had with was 3"&4" Keitech ES swimbaits. He got a bass first cast. Then several more. Then the boot tail got bit off all while I caught only two bass thus far. So I switched out my Hog Farmer for the Keitech ES swimbait and began quickly catching bass. This has remained true for the Keithech ES swim baits in every lake we fished CB's in so far this year. 

This years absolute sleeper breakout bait that has slayed the bass thus far this year has been the Z-Man Willowchatter using a 4" Ketech Easy Shiner Swimbait. The highly erratic darting action of this little bait has to be seen to be appreciated and believed and when the bass aren't liking bigger noiser chatterbaits like they weren't during my recent trip to Ohio the Willowchatter saved the day. Has worked very well in all lakes I fished this far this year.

• Like 3

On 5/29/2024 at 3:15 AM, PhishLI said:

I have every type of Zman chatterbait. Even some Thunder Crickets. None of those have come close to how productive both the standard Project Z and the Project Z Weedless have been for me. Around here, everyone and their brother throws standard chatters. The head design allows for the blade to impact it, which makes a pronounced "click". My Jackhammers have grooves cut into them from the blade.

The Head of the Project doesn't allow for that, so it sounds different. Often, different is good. It has been for me. Also, some lakes don't like loud baits. Clicks, rattles, etc.

Grab the EVO or some Siebert's, and for sure grab both versions of the Z. If nothing else, you'll be able to put the Project Z Weedless painlessly into places no other bladed jig can go.

Not true. I’m an expert at throwing bladed jigs where they aren’t supposed to be…up in trees, tangled on barbed wire, in a truck wheel well, another boat deck, the road, power lines. 

I can also teach that skill pretty well…

• Haha 3

• Super User

With everyone and their brother throwing a vibrating jig - don’t hesitate to pull out your swim jigs with favorite trailers again . 

• Like 6

On 6/7/2024 at 4:29 PM, Smirak said:

Not true. I’m an expert at throwing bladed jigs where they aren’t supposed to be…up in trees, tangled on barbed wire, in a truck wheel well, another boat deck, the road, power lines. 

I can also teach that skill pretty well…

Is be interested to hear how you ended up throwing one in a truck wheel well lol 

• Super User
1 hour ago, ChrisD46 said:

With everyone and their brother throwing a vibrating jig - don’t hesitate to pull out your swim jigs with favorite trailers again . 

That’s also why I think the spinnerbait bite has improved again. Some people think the chatterbait replaces the spinnerbait, and the fish haven’t seen spinnerbaits as often recently.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gimruis said:

That’s also why I think the spinnerbait bite has improved again. Some people think the chatterbait replaces the spinnerbait, and the fish haven’t seen spinnerbaits as often recently.

My sons and I did VERY well in a local lake using War Eagle double Colorado spinnerbaits unfortunately we lost the only two of these War Eagle colorado bladed SB's I owned or should I say he and HIS friend lost both of them to a great lake near our home that is LOUSY with submerged timber and stumps accessible from shore casting.

Unfortunately War Eagle stopped making any SBs even close to that one which had HUGE blades.

First day we used them we both were in double digits on bass caught.

• Like 1

• Super User
15 hours ago, CDMTJager said:

War Eagle colorado bladed SB's

Are these what you're referring to?  The blades on them are quite large and they give off a lot of thump.

spinnerbaits.jpg

On 6/9/2024 at 10:41 AM, August said:

Is be interested to hear how you ended up throwing one in a truck wheel well lol 

small creek, park on both sides. Threw one over the creek into my buddy’s wheel well…

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Smirak said:

small creek, park on both sides. Threw one over the creek into my buddy’s wheel well…

Please start a YouTube channel!

• Super User
On 6/9/2024 at 11:11 AM, ChrisD46 said:

This is what I do because spinnerbaits and swim jigs work so much better for me overall. Guess its the clear water or something but chatterbaits just don't produce for me around here? I am going to keep trying them to see if I can unlock the potential.

Allen

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nso123 said:

Please start a YouTube channel!

Haha! I think to be successful in the YouTube world as a fisherman, the most important thing is to be able to actually catch fish!!

• Haha 2

• Super User
15 hours ago, Munkin said:

Guess its the clear water or something but chatterbaits just don't produce for me around here? I am going to keep trying them to see if I can unlock the potential.

Give it a try on a cloudy or rainy day.  Clear water and bright sun is probably not a good mix.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Munkin said:

This is what I do because spinnerbaits and swim jigs work so much better for me overall. Guess its the clear water or something but chatterbaits just don't produce for me around here? I am going to keep trying them to see if I can unlock the potential.

Allen

I have had a similar experience to you when it comes to those baits.  I have far more confidence in a Spinnerbait and a swim jig.  

Although I have had some good days with the chatter bait, I believe that success came when the fish were actively feeding. At other times they won’t touch it.

I think that with the spinner bait or swim jig I can provoke a reaction strike even when the fish are in a negative mood whereas the chatter bait is so aggressive it spooks the fish.  Just my theory anyways.

On 6/10/2024 at 7:53 AM, gimruis said:

Are these what you're referring to?  The blades on them are quite large and they give off a lot of thump.

spinnerbaits.jpg

YES EXACTLY those

You know where I could buy any?

• Super User
19 minutes ago, CDMTJager said:

You know where I could buy any?

Guess I didn't realize they were discontinued.  I bought 2 of them of a local seller here last winter.  I don't see any more listed.

First place I'd look would be eBay.  And check it frequently in case some new listings show up.