Sign in to follow this  
David P

Best spinning reel under $60

Looking for a less expensive combo, beating the bank with my GLX / Curado isn't the best on it so I'm looking for something to take out when I'm walking along the bank.

Pflueger President / Shimano Sahara / Shimano Sedona / What else?

??

Brokejew,

Zebco 33... :o

Tight Lines!!!  

I'd buy the President but if I saw a brand new in box Sahara for $45 shipped, I'd probably buy it.

Wow! What a coincidence this is......I just saw one in the flea market for $45 shipped! What a deal!  :o

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1190425221

Guest muddy

My Favorite reel is the PFLUEGER PRESIDENT at 60 bucks. I have a lot of experience using one, without any issues and they take a beating and continue to work. Some say the graphite frame is an issue, i beleive this is an overstated claim as I could not tourqe this reel and I have never had a gear alignment problem THATS AFTER HOUR UPON HOUR OF USE> ;D

I have a Shimano Stradic the RW gave me, it too is an excellent reel. I like the retrieve action on my Pflueger, because i can't explain it but the actions of both reels are somewhat different, and i am just used to the Pfleuger. The Stadic was worked on bu Reel Mech, I do not know if thats how they come from the factory or Dave just brought it too a new level, but this reel is also flawless. This reel seels for over a hundred, but since Shimano is redoing their reels you may find one deeply discounted in the near future into you price range.

In my mind the reels are equal in performance, my experience and preference is with the President.

Haha FBL , I saw that, but I'm leaning towards the president.

Muddy: I knew I could count on you for a pflueger vote!

I have a stradic , but I'm getting two spinning reels and want two of the same reel more or less, so $60 a piece is all I wanted to spend.

I love my Stradic, and if I could I'd get another in a heart beat, but it's also good to expand and try new things.

Muddy, what president should I get, there's like 5 sizes, and I've never held a pflueger, only shimano. I use 8lb line mostly for spinning. Iwas thinking either 6730X or 6735X, any difference?

If I had to pick between the Sahara and the President, I hate to say it but the President would be my pick.  I borrowed a President reel from a buddy for a weekend and I really liked.  He had it set up on a Fenwick Techna.  This was a sweet combo.  

With all that said, if you are able to find a Stradic on clearance like I did (Dicks $75), I would jump on thar reel instead.  IMHO, it is just a better reel.  If not, the President is solid reel and good value for the money.

Guest muddy
Haha FBL , I saw that, but I'm leaning towards the president.

Muddy: I knew I could count on you for a pflueger vote!

I have a stradic , but I'm getting two spinning reels and want two of the same reel more or less, so $60 a piece is all I wanted to spend.

I love my Stradic, and if I could I'd get another in a heart beat, but it's also good to expand and try new things.

Muddy, what president should I get, there's like 5 sizes, and I've never held a pflueger, only shimano. I use 8lb line mostly for spinning. Iwas thinking either 6730X or 6735X, any difference?

I have the 35/spooled with 8# test

Can't blame a guy for trying.

And the Pflueger 35's are about the best/most common size for freshwater bass fishing. I have 3 of the Pflueger Supreme MG Spinning reels in 8035. Awesome reels.

President 6735. I have the Supreme 8030's, but they have different line capacities. With 8lb mono you might need the 35 to fit enough line on.

BTW, Cabela's has their Prodigy's on sale for $70. Maybe it's worth it to spend the extra $10 per for the Prodigy's???? Right now they are sold out of the 2500's, but the 2000 might be enough reel for what you need????

Daiwa Exceler or Shimano Sahara. For $69 at Dicks gets you a symetre. :o

Broke,

I own the President in the 6030 size. I love it but also wondered if I shouldn't have bought a 6735. The retrieve is smooth as glass on mine. I use the 6030 for Crappie fishing as well and it is even fun for that.

I just bought a shimano symetra rear drag for $69.   95% of the time I have a bait caster in my hand but I think this is going to be a good reel.

GO BIG RED

THEY SELL SYMETRES AT DICKS EVERY DAY FOR 69 DOLLARS. IF YOU CAN GET A COUPON YOU CAN GET IT FOR LESS.

I'd buy the President but if I saw a brand new in box Sahara for $45 shipped, I'd probably buy it.

Wow! What a coincidence this is......I just saw one in the flea market for $45 shipped! What a deal! :o

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1190425221

Great deal on that reel though, Great try. Actually that is the best deal out there.

Ok. What is it about the "best" spinning reel under 60 bucks that makes it the best. I have looked at Cabelas three times now, talked to 3 different sales persons, and got three different replies. I really like the feel of the abu garcia cardinal 503, then next best to me is the diawa exceler, and right after that comes the shimano symetre.the cabelas guys recommeded the exceler, symetre, and thier own prodigy reel? WHAT or WHY do you guys consider your recommendations the best??? personal experience is great, but if you have not fished all three, how do you know your recommendation is better? I am really looking for facts, such as better bearings, or stronger frame, etc???? I am in no way denigrating anyones response or downplaying your recommendations. Everyone here has been fantastic sharing advice, gear recommendations, etc. I am looking for something more in depth if possible. Thanks to all.

Guest muddy

MY RECCOMENDATION COMES FROM YEARS OF EXPERIENCE WITH PFLUEGER REELS, BOTH THE TRION AND THE PRESIDENT. MAYBE ITS A GEOGRAPHIC THING BUT A LOT OF MY FRIENDS HERE USE THEM ALSO. I CAN SAY THAT THEY ARE PRETTY MUCH ISSUE FREE AND DURABLE. THEY REEL SMOOTH AND THEIR DRAGS WORK>>> VERY WELL. ASK LBH AND DODGE GUY, THEY WILL PRETTY MUCH ASY THE SAME

i DON'T HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO BE BUYING A WHOLE LOTTA REELS SO PERSONAL EXPERIENCE IS ALL I HAVE TO OFFER. THAT IS NOT TO SAY THE OTHER BRANDS ARE NOT AS GOOD, MANY WOULD ARGUE THEY ARE BETTER. I WOULD RATHER GO BY EXPERIENCE THAN OPINION ANYWAY

RW,ALPSTER AND BURLEY ARE 3 WITH A LOTTA SHIMANO EXPERIENCE AND YOU SHOULD ASK THEM  THEIR EXPERIENCE

REELMECH HAS TO FIX EM ALL ANOPTHER VOICE OF EXPERIENCE AND

REDLINER ROBERT AND AVID ARE GOOD SOURCES OF DIAWA EXPERIENCE

I DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO TELL Y9U. I KNOW ITS HARD MAKING UP YOUR MIND, IF IT DOESN'T WORK OUT THERE IS ALWAYS THE FLEA MARKET TO SEEL YOU MISTAKES IN

Thanks Muddy, I am not discounting peoples years of personal experience. I was just wondering if I was missing something? Like the bearings, Shimano typically has less bearings than other reels, yet they  come very highly rated. I do not know how they can be as smooth as others with less bearings???

Are their bearings a higher quality??? will less bearings last as long as a reel with more bearings?

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.

Guest muddy

Hey just try asking the fellas i suggested by brand, they all know their stuff. I think there is a lot of product loyality, and why not if something is working , don't fix it.