Sign in to follow this  
jwo1124

Line size for cranks

I have been looking at baitcasters and I saw that almost all of them have a minimum line capacity of 12# test. I know that most cranks run deepest and with the best action at 10# test. I doubt that the extra 2# diameter makes a huge difference, but will it make a difference it action and diving depth? The only reason I ask is because I am looking into getting a baitcaster for next season to become a real Basser. It just seems baitcasters and bass fishing go together like coffee and donuts.

Spinning gear has done the job so far, but I shouldn;t limit myself just because I might get a backlash once in awhile. Plus I have also notice that baicasters are 50-100% lighter than there same capacity/line size spinning counter parts, which is just more comfortable.

I don't know how much it affects the action, but a crank will dive deeper on #10 than on #12.  Smaller line equals more depth.

I use 10 pound Big game with great results its a 12lb Diameter and it has enough stretch to make it perfect for crankin

You loose about a foot in diving depth for every pound test you increase the diameter, the same thing applies the other way.

Currently Ive been fishing cranks on spinning gear w/ 8# test and It works but once I get enough $ Im definitely getting a BC for my crankin needs.

I only use baitcaster for crankbaits.  If you want you can use 2 lb test on a baitcaster, it doesn't matter.  They put those minimum line capacitys as a guide line. Most baitcasters are spooled with 12# test or more but i use 8# test for when i want to get a crankbait deeper.