Sign in to follow this  
Tokyo Tony

Daiwa Sol or Revo STX?

I'm trying to decide between these two reels. Which do you think is better? To be honest, I'm leaning towards the Sol, only because I've had nothing but the best experiences with Daiwa equipment...

Edit: I realize that they're both great reels, but if you know of any advantages one has over the other, I'm all ears  8-)

I have a Revo, and i can say that they are very smooth, and high quality.  I have had many Daiwa spinning reels, which were also top notch.  I doubt you can go wrong.  

Dangle

Sol for lighter baits great pitching ability light weight great ergonomics finicky breaking slow gear ration weak

I dont know about the stx

For specifically throwing lighter baits, the Sol is likely a bit better.

For an all purpose reel, or for larger baits, go with the STX

Thanks guys, that's some good info. I was leaning towards the Sol, but since I'll be using it for jigs, t-rigs, frogs, and smaller swimbaits, I'm gonna go with the STX.

I'm leaving for Cabela's right now  ;D

Well, I have a Sol 2500 spinning reel, and a Revo SX...so I can't really comment.  ;) Love both of them though  8-)

Matt, I think my next spinning reel is gonna be a Sol - they feel great in Cabela's.

Anyway, I got back from Cabela's, picked up the STX and a Carrot Stix to match  ;D I spooled the reel with 40 lb Power Pro and was casting around the yard. I can't believe how well that reel casts - it really blows my mind. I think I might actually be able to cast farther with this setup than with my spinning setups, which I didn't think was possible. Well, I'm off to try my luck at some local ponds. Thanks again for the help guys.

No comment on the Sol, since I've never fished or owned one.

But don't underestimate the ability of the STX to cast light baits.  I can get really L O N G casts on my STX (and SC) when fishing weightless 4" Senkos.   Likewise with 1/4 oz topwaters and other light baits.  

Check the video in THIS post and see what I will do for my STX ;)  

24(27?) lbs of drag with the STX.

I also love the way the drag has click settings and they are METAL!, not plastic.  Nice.

Light baits-no issue,....and I'm not the most proficient with a baitcaster.

I've used Robert's Pixy's (not sure if thats the same as a Sol) and really didn't catch enough on them to evaluate them but I will say that the small size is very conducive to my small hands.  Palming the pixy iis easy and comfortable

The SOL is a slow gear real, it's a 5.8:1 , vs the STX which is 6 or even high speed 7:1.

What are you going to be using the reel for?

Crank baits, I'd say the SOL, anything else, I'd say the STX . I have 3 STXs and plan on getting more.

Here's the pic - this combo is a real treat. Went out with fishizzle on Sunday and caught a bunch of jig fish.

post-10657-130162925487_thumb.jpg

Matt, it's the 7'3", and I'm a pretty big fan of the rod. Light, sensitive, and sexy  :-*

neBassin - it took me about a full 5 minutes comparing the Crucial and the Carrot side-by-side in Cabelas before I finally went with the Carrot. I think the two rods (MH fast ~7') are pretty similar. It seemed to me like the Carrot had just a little more backbone, and I wanted the extra 3". However, what really sold me on it was...the color  ;)