Sign in to follow this  
Mike 12345

Reel maintenance link

Can someone give me a link to a good tutorial/instructions on maintenance of both spinning and baitcasting reels please?

thank you

Check out Shimano's pdf How To instructions here. Even if you don't have a Shimano reel, the steps ought to be very similar.

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/customer_service0/reel_maintenance_instructions.html

It is also helpful to have a schematic of the reel with you.  I took apart my Trion casting reel to paint it without the schematic and it took some logic and patience to piece it back right.  The schematic for it arrived from Pfueger a week later and I was relieved I put it back right. Whew!

Mike 12345,

Hope you have a good supply of e-clips, bearing retainer springs, and A springs for your brand of reels (for when they get away and you lose them across the room), not to mention the proper tools to do the job..

Good Luck.... :D

Fair enough.  So then, it's impossible to oil/grease a baitcasting reel as a novice, and without an array of specialty tools?

These are not $400 reels here.......If possible, I'd like to do it myself, and keep them working as well as possible until I work myself up to a 'good' reel that I would actually consider shipping to an expert for regular service.

Again, any advice or tips is appreciated-

Thanks

Mike 12345,

So then, it's impossible to oil/grease a baitcasting reel as a novice, and without an array of specialty tools?
Nope didn't say that.

There are basic lubrication points that someone that has never opened up a reel can do to keep the reels running smooth. The reel box should have had that manual in it. You don't need an array of specialty tools, you need the proper size screw drivers, the nut wrench, quality oil and grease, and most importantly of all the schematic and the ability to read one...

As far as parts those I listed if you go to far without some forethought and experience, you will lose.

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!