Sign in to follow this  
pabassin

Fluorocarbon Lines

Looking for opinions on the best fluoro lines for dropshotting, I am currently using Gamma Edge which I really like, but it is expensive.

I have been experimenting with P-Line CX Premium. I haven't tested it against a good fish yet, so I can't comment on strength, but I can tell you it is a very manageable line for spinning tackle. With a treatment of KVD Line & Lure Conditioner, CX Premium has virtually no memory. I'm using #6 and so far, so good.

8-)

I use Suffix braid for my dropshot main line and then a 20' fluro leader of usually 6 IB or 4 IB.

My first choice for leader is Gamma for drop shotting, but since it is so expensive I find myself using Berkley Vanish most of the time now.  I never have a problem with it, but like I said I think Gamma is the best on the market right now.  

I have been experimenting with P-Line CX Premium. I haven't tested it against a good fish yet, so I can't comment on strength, but I can tell you it is a very manageable line for spinning tackle. With a treatment of KVD Line & Lure Conditioner, CX Premium has virtually no memory. I'm using #6 and so far, so good.

8-)

Pencil Pusher wrote on Oct 25th, 2008, 2:15pm:

You can substitute regular hybrid for baling wire, the ultra soft is more like leader wire.

I think you're confused. The question is "Yo-Zuri Hybrid Lines",

he wasn't asking about P-Line. (quote from ROAD WARRIOR)

just teasing you !!!!!  :)

8-)

CX Premium is indeed a good line, but you better be careful!  It isn't overrated like CXX or Yozuri.  That CX Premium is very thin for its rated test!  I bet the 6lb is like a spider web!  Probably a joy to fish though....

Take a hard look at the Bass Pro flouro.  Tackle Tour rated it very highly in head to head tests.

Seagur Invisx - Good for leader material, but when you spool the entire spool with it, you can feel it stretches more then any other fluoro I've used. Feels like mono.

PLine fluoro - This was my go to flouro for 6 months , it was the only thing I fished. 15lb 17lb and 20 lb. It has very little stretch, but does break. 15 and 17lb test has broke numerous times, setting the hook too hard causes problems, doesn't absorb any shock.

Trilene 100% fluoro - My new favorite. By far the most manageable fluorocarbon, little stretch (feels just perfect), and I haven't broken off yet. I've only been fishing with the 20lb and it's manageable when fishing 1/2oz jigs.

Specifically for drop shotting, depending on the lake, 6 - 8lb trilene fluoro should do the trick very well, as I said, for me, it's been very manageable compared to others (even in the 20lb range)

Seagur Invisx - Good for leader material, but when you spool the entire spool with it, you can feel it stretches more then any other fluoro I've used. Feels like mono.

PLine fluoro - This was my go to flouro for 6 months , it was the only thing I fished. 15lb 17lb and 20 lb. It has very little stretch, but does break. 15 and 17lb test has broke numerous times, setting the hook too hard causes problems, doesn't absorb any shock.

Trilene 100% fluoro - My new favorite. By far the most manageable fluorocarbon, little stretch (feels just perfect), and I haven't broken off yet. I've only been fishing with the 20lb and it's manageable when fishing 1/2oz jigs.

Specifically for drop shotting, depending on the lake, 6 - 8lb trilene fluoro should do the trick very well, as I said, for me, it's been very manageable compared to others (even in the 20lb range)

Yep....Trilene 100% fluoro is the deal.  I quit 'trying' fluoro's after I used the Trilene.  I went with the bulk 2000yd spools, but it is lasting even longer than I thought.  Since it doesn't turn white, I can't find a reason to change it...not to mention the abrasion resistance seems to be parallel with CXX (did I just say that?!).  Seriously....it's close.    These bulk spools may last me until 2010.  

Yep....Trilene 100% fluoro is the deal. I quit 'trying' fluoro's after I used the Trilene. I went with the bulk 2000yd spools, but it is lasting even longer than I thought. Since it doesn't turn white, I can't find a reason to change it...not to mention the abrasion resistance seems to be parallel with CXX (did I just say that?!). Seriously....it's close. These bulk spools may last me until 2010.

How would you rate Trilene's limpness from 1-10 and compared to Sea Guar Invizx? I use seaguar's invizx myself and have tried cabela's fc per your recommendation that it was very similar to Invzix. After comparing the two, in my hands the Cabela's version is slightly "stiffer" but acceptable to me. I liken it to a generic drug versus the original.  There are slight percentage changes in certain components of the formula, but they're close enough.

I have never seen a need to stray from Invizx, but with all the talk of Trilene FC's rave reviews, it has my bait monkey whispering, "go ahead and try it." ;D

Anyway, my recommendation at this time is definitely SeaGuar's Invizx. My use of it drew me to the same conclusion as BrokJu, but the fact that it is so similar to mono is why I love it. I get the stretch of mono, but the sensitiivity and invisibility FC line offers. It spells for the fish, once hooked, not lost. :)

CX Premium is a great line but it seems a bit on the thin side. Do not expect to to be as brutishly abrasion resistant as its brother CXX.

It is also a good thing that RW recommends the use of line conditioner. Without it, CX premium quickly acquires memory and it sure looks ugly on a spinning reel.

CX is a flurocarbon coated mono and not a true fc line BTW.