Sign in to follow this  
TrippyJai

Citica D and Curado D

Now that the E models are out, I plan to buy the D models in order to save some money yet still have great fishing reels because of my limited budget as a college student.

I've heard a lot of good things about these reels, but I can't find them on the counters in store to have a look at the sizes. I've heard that the Citica is a bit bulky to palm for smaller hands and I don't know how my hands will compare or I should say fair with the size. They aren't big nor are they small hands.

Is the Curado D the same size as the Citica D?

The Curado 200D is the same size as the Citca 200D. And the Curado 101D is the same size as the Citica 100D.

Also the D models are heavier at just shy of 10 oz. The newer E models are almost 2 oz lighter, so these are easier to fish all day long. I had the D models of the Citca & Curado & I could only fish w/ them for so long before getting tired. This years Quantum b/c reels were also close to 10 oz, now the 2009 models have also dropped in weight.

Go to Tackletour.com & look at the archives to see the reviews of these reels.

The 200D Curado and Citica are a little bulky and a little on the heavy side but they are very smooth and awesome performing reels.

The Shimano breaking system is top notch all the way and performs flawlessly weather it be your 1st cast or your 100th cast of the day.

Later, :)

I had a curado 101D and I still have a citica 201D.  The curado being a smaller 101 was the perfect size and weight, but the only problem I had with it was a weak drag, even locked down I could still pull line off easily.  

The Citica 201D is a bit on the heavy side but it casts nicely and has a powerful, smooth drag.  I've also used it in saltwater, I've misused and abused this thing and it still keeps casting nicely.  My only gripe is the weight.  I don't think they make citica's in the 100 size but if they did i'd be all for a citica 101D

ps: for reference my hands are kinda small, if I'm looking for gloves I look for med -> sm

Your drag problem was just that.. a problem with that particular reel...  the 100 and 101 reels have plenty of drag.  Sounds like you either had a bad reel or a bad part.

Well, the thing is I had it looked over by a recommended reel guy.  I mentioned the drag to him and after taking it apart for cleaning and such he didn't find anything wrong with it.  

Also thinking that it was just the entire line of 100/101D's so I sold it off on the flea market section.  I haven't heard any complaints from the buyer.

Just save and buy a couple Citica E's. They are GREAT reels for the price. A very solid reel. They are around 100 on ebay. If you are really that broke, I have bought Citica D's on ebay for around 50-60 dollars. The 100 size is not bulky at all. I find the more aggressive body style like Revos or the new Citica E's, are more comfortable to me. But I have big hands, so you may like the more smooth designs. IDK though. Its best to go to your local tackle shop and try out all the reels they got. Bring your rod to test it out on your rod too.

I love my 100D...only thing is,it's about $40 cheaper(used) than a brand new 200E. I'm going to get an E series over the wintertime.

It only makes sense to me to go after the new E series.