Sign in to follow this  
Mike 12345

Spinning reel spool size

Hi Folks, I tried a search on this topic, but did not get what I needed, so I thought I'd try a new thread.

I'm shopping for a new spinning reel for the upcoming season, and I'm trying to determine if I should be looking at a wide spool reel-  what are the advantages of the wide spool spinning reels?  Longer casts, less line twist?

That being said, are smaller spool reels better for some techniques, while larger spools better for others?

Thanks

Well, my simple answer is this:

For "most" bass fishing, the 2000/2500 series reels are perfect.

For "light" rigs, the 1000 series is a better compliment (size and weight).

8-)

All other things being equal, a bigger spool will cause fewer line problems. Basically because for a given casting distance there will be fewer line revolutions, or for a given number of line revolutions the cast will go farther. Larger spools also reduce memory and twist problems.

I use Daiwa 2500 spools and they're fine for 10-12# line, assuming the line is one of the spinning-friendly types.

While a 3000 size spool may offer better line management, the sacrifice is often greater weight.  If I remember correctly, the difference for the Daiwa Tierra 2500/3000 is 1.89"/2.1" and 9.6oz/10.7oz.  However, that is not the case for all models.  Sometimes the difference is just a narrower inner spool that allows greater capacity, without any difference in spool diameter.

In MY experience, I believe that my Daiwa Exceler 2500 outcasts my Stradic FH 2500 due to a slightly greater spool diameter.  However, I do not have experience with the new Shimano line.  Overall, the difference between Shimano, Daiwa, Pflueger is relatively small for similarly sized reels.

When I think of "widespool" spinning reels I think of US Reel and Bass Pro Shop models.

For general bass fishing, the 2500 size seems to be a great compromise.  Still light, plenty of capacity and significantly wider than the light & ultra light reels.

Cheers ;)

I was not a big fan of spinning reels due to the line twisting problems, weak drags, and some like the Quatum PT models are heavy.

Two year ago I tried BPS Wide Spool Pro Qualifier 2000 and 4000 models and have been very satisfied with the over all performance of both reels. They cast beautifully, drags are smooth as silk, even the larger 4000 is light enough to use all day long. I just ordered another of the 2000's I use these for dropshotting, shakey head fishing, and 4000 for jerkbaits. I highly recommend them to anyone.